Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player installation hangs with 'Connection error'

Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 32 bit, up-to-date, running Firefox 38.05 (ie up-to-date), including Shockwave Flash 17.0.0.169 (set to 'Always Activate'). 

Flashplayer 18 installer downloads ok, but when I run it, and give it Admin permission and ZoneAlarm permission, the main download always stops at 5% and says "Connection error".  I have tried several times over a couple of hours.

Earlier this evening I successfully updated Acrobat Reader 11, which shows this is not a general inability to install Adobe updates.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pm99550231,

The online installer downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background.  It appears ZoneAlarm may be interfering with the background downloading of the file.  You can try temporarily disabling web traffic monitoring in ZoneAlarm to allow the background download of the file.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria for your reply.

However ZoneAlarm was not the problem.  I turned Internet Zone Security to Low and then to Off, and the installation failed exactly the same way each time.

-- Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pm99550231,

Thank you for the update.

Do you happen to use a proxy server?  While the online installer is supposed to work with proxy servers, we have heard of customers reporting issues depending on their proxy server configuration.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no proxy server. Cable connection straight to the internet.

Probably not relevant, but I had a problem for a while with downloads in general not completing; it affected all updating, and loading of web pages.  However this has been fixed, and I have successfully updated Java and Adobe reader recently, for example (previously impossible).

Just tried it again. No different. The 5% freeze and the connection error notice come up quickly, in 2 or 3 seconds. The install stub is permitted by Zone Alarm because I ticked 'always allow' in previous attempts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pm99550231,

Thank you for the update.  I'd like to get the online installer log files from you.  Please do the following:

1. Go to the Temp directory at C:\Users\YourUserID\AppData\Local\Temp\
  2. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory.  The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else.
    1. Please note that you might not see the file extensions unless you've made them visible.
  3. Run the online installer again until it stops
  4. Locate the Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files inside the Adobe_ADMLogs directory in the %temp% directory
  5. Upload both files using the instructions posted here How to share a document

In the mean time, if you haven't done so, you can use the offline installer, posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows page in the 'Still having problems' section.  However, I'd still like to get the online installer log files from you so that we can investigate why it keeps returning the connection error.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I tried one install and it quickly gave an 'install failure' message or something like that - not the same as the problem I am reporting.

A second attempt produced the result we have been discussing all along.  I went through the various hoops using the Adobe Document Cloud, and here is the link to the two uploaded log files:

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

I hope you can see something useful in them!

Regards,

-- Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the file link to the logs:  Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Sheila Flanagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi myviolinsings0121,

Thank you for providing the log file.  The error in your log file is different from the error in the OP's log file.  I will forward this to the online installer team for review.

Do you have anti-virus, firewall, etc installed on your system?  If so, which on are you using?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Norton 360 (complete package of antivirus/firewall/etc.) and

it has not only the exception for adobe but it has never interfered and

I have been using it for 6 years as it is free to comcast subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi myviolinsings0121,

Thanks for providing the anti-virus information.  I have forwarded this thread to the online installer team and am waiting for their reply.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with Win 7 64 bit in Firefox; keep getting an immediate Connection failed., Click retry to continue with the installation. Then clicking retry gets "Connection Failed. Click finish to restart the process." Clicking finish then opens up a new tab to download the update.

I checked my connection settings in Firefox and it says Use System Proxy Settings.

How can I get this to install? I have downloaded 4x today and have never had any issues updating flash, reader, or java before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@myviolinsings0121,

Please see my post #5 to the OP and provide the same log files from your computer.

@pm99550231,
I do see some errors in the log file, however, since this is the online installer I need to forward it to the online installer team to review.  I'm not as familiar with the online installer log file and errors as I am with offline installer log file and errors.

Were you able to install successfully using the offline installer, that I linked to in my previous post?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines