• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trapcode particular particle speed. How can I control the speed the particles are emitted?

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've attached a screenshot. I am wanting to slow down the speed at which the particles are emitted. Can you point me in the direction of the controls that control the particle speed?

Very much a newbie to particles. I'm using negative gravity to get the particles to go up and zero velocity. Are these the controls I would use or am I missing something else? I'm happy with the direction and spread, they're just coming out too quick.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 19.11.18.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say they're coming out "too quick"?

Do you mean there are too many particles? In which case, adjust the emitter settings for particles per second to a lower number.

Or do you mean the particles are moving too quickly? In which case, change your gravity settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I mean the particles are moving too quickly.

I'm using my gravity settings to control the angle of the particle spread. Am I doing thatt wrong? Is there a way to control the direction apart from using the gravity settings? If i adjust them at present in the way I have set it up, then it adjusts the path of the particle spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would usually change the direction the emitter is pointing to specify what direction things are going AND the particle spread can be changed in the emitter settings too.

You can also adjust particle direction by playing with the wind settings.

You should really go through the Particular help files and some of Red Giant's training videos. They cover all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks...I'll check out the training vids.

Still not sure which settings you're referring to though.

I've now got my velocity at 0, my gravity at 0 and am using the y wind settings to make the particles come out going vertcially up the screen...

The particles are still coming out very quickly, so do I need to change my gravity from 0? And I can't locate the emitter settings to change the particle spread as you mention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your gravity setting is insane. It needs to be much lower. Beyond that your whole approach makes me cringe. Layer Emitters are 3D layers, not 2D planes. By default particles are emitted perpendicular to the plane, not within the layer bounds. You simply completely misunderstand how it works and are trying to make up for it with overcranked settings. Simply use spot lights as the emitters and set the emitter Type in particular to be Lights. That way you can control direction, spread and speed for every point.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK thanks, I've used a spot light as the emitter and as you say it's worked a charm...

Thanks for the help...my apologies for making you cringe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines