• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I connect HTML Form elements to an external database.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a new template for preventive maintenance procedures using Responsive HTML5 in RoboHelp 11. The powers that be would like to see persistent check boxes connected to summary tasks to provide a "checklist". I can add the form elements, and I have access to the IS resources to build a database to store the form information, but I can't identify where to connect the form elements to the database. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this you need server side processing with a language such as PHP or ASP. For example, see: PHP 5 Form Handling This will require the help of a web developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply!

So, to apply the PHP or ASP, do I have the web developer put the scripts in the HTML view of the RoboHelp topic, or is there a properties/preferences window for the checkboxes that I can use to point to the scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Times like these are when I cringe because RoboHelp even offers the form fields as an option for insertion.

Hopefully Willam will pardon my intrusion here to offer some perspective.

In a nutshell, you create your form in RoboHelp. I've not tested in a long while but it USED to be that while RoboHelp allowed you to insert form fields, it fell short of declaring a form tag to open and close the form.

The scripts Willam mentioned are placed on the web server. Drawing from memory here, but you configure the form element (this is why I mentioned the form tags) so that it points to the script when the form is submitted.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer as to what you will need to insert where, because how the form element is configured will vary, depending on the way it has been configured and named as far as the processing script on the server goes.

The bottom line here is that forms are a world unto their own. RoboHelp gives you the basic tools to add form elements, but you need a lot more "behind the scenes" knowledge in order to properly configure and implement them.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll forgive you this time Rick 😉

What Rick is saying is absolutely correct. Basically you need a web application/collection of web forms for this. The exact solution depends on many factors and requires working together with a web developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp