• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Save for web" as "legacy" in Photoshop CC (2015)?

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know (a) why "save for web" is now "legacy" (under export) and (b) whether anything will replace it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

I know, it sucks. this is what i've found:

As of the 2015 release of Photoshop CC, the File > Save For Web option has been moved to File > Export > Save For Web (Legacy) alongside newer export options.

To learn about these new export options, see Export artboards, layers, and more.

and this is the link that it will take you:

Photoshop Help | Export artboards, layers, and more

it is related to the new artboards option that they have.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, it sucks. this is what i've found:

As of the 2015 release of Photoshop CC, the File > Save For Web option has been moved to File > Export > Save For Web (Legacy) alongside newer export options.

To learn about these new export options, see Export artboards, layers, and more.

and this is the link that it will take you:

Photoshop Help | Export artboards, layers, and more

it is related to the new artboards option that they have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately Alt+Shift+Control+S still works (in Windows) and brings up the old dialog.  I wonder if the old way and the new way produce the same results.  I didn't test that.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There phasing it out; export assets will replace it.  Slices were a pain in the butt anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible development. The legacy version is fast and easy to use - easy to view an image in multiple file types to tweak file and image size. The backbone for web content people.

I sincerely hope they haven't lost their minds on this. They've added more steps and hindered the workflow in an astonishing way. "legacy" means they plan to dump it. I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this was extremely disappointing. The "Save As" command is not a suitable replacement as it doesn't log you on to the folder you are saving to like "Save for Web" does. I save several hundred photos a day and "Save for Web" will save to the same folder until changed. "Save As" brings up the same folder that contains the original image and you have to go hunting for the folder you want to save to. I hope Adobe listens to the complaints about removing "Save for Web" and restores it to its original status on the file menu. The people that make changes like this obviously never have to use the program in any kind of meaningful workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

w8caken wrote:

"Save As" brings up the same folder that contains the original image and you have to go hunting for the folder you want to save to.

Just a heads-up... you can change that behavior in the preferences by un-checking Save As to Original Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was not aware of that. A partial help but none of the features of "Save for Web" are available in that option. Hopefully, they will re-think removing it in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely disappointed with this. I'm a web designer and this is one of the commands I use more often than any other.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one out there feeling a little shell shocked.

What are Adobe on?

I'm not continuing to pay £47 a month for updates which invariably:

- Brings me features I just don't need (Photoshop has been fine for a very long time)

- Removes critical tools I use ('Save for Web' in PS and 'Design View' in DW)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Export > Export as... is not a suitable substitute/replacement.

The window can't be resized and it's not comparable in features.

So angry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh - Export Assets, not Export As, is the replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks StrongBeaver.

But where is this command? I can't find it.

And does it provide a resizeable window as with 'Save for Web'. I can't judge the correct balance of quality for large web images when I can't see the entire optimised image at 100%.

For example, a Twitter header image would ideally be exported at 1500px x 500px. I can't view the whole image at 100% zoom in the Export as... box.

I found this: Generating Responsive Image Assets with Photoshop CC 2014

But I can't find 'Export Assets' on the File menu? Why can't I see it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this and hope that Adobe listens to its users before phasing out features. The CC model depends on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cgeo21 wrote:

I agree with this and hope that Adobe listens to its users before phasing out features. The CC model depends on it.

Funny... Had they listened to their clients in the first place. They would not have induced the CC model in the first place.

And who is adobe ? Where are they located ? It seems as if adobe is a cluster scattered all over the planet, without phones in their office, with 100s of developers NOT working together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StrongBeaver wrote:

Josh - Export Assets, not Export As, is the replacement.

Export Assets was dropped from CC15, as they determined nobody was using it enough to justify its continued inclusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of this, since upgrading to CC-2015.

It has been replaced with Export As, once again sorry

I was using Export Assets, I was quite happy with it, but I don't count in the grand scheme of things Anyhow it's now Export As, as I see they simply blended the previous Export As and Export Assets together to avoid confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RETARD ALERT!

The one who made the decision to remove the Save for Web option has obviously no clue about the every day users' needs.  I'm pretty sure there's a growing number of frustrated web professionals out there desperately looking for the solution on Google and cursing the day when they downloaded the 2015 update.

Legacy, are you kidding me?  What's coming next?  No image resizing option?  No eyedropper tool?

Adobe, you seriously need to get your act together.  Listening to your users would be a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also Photoshop: What happened to Save for Web in Photoshop CC 2015?

It would be wonderful to see a positive, informed and respectful response from Adobe about this. The conversations always seem a little one-way.

Let's hope Adobe see sense. In the meantime I'm wondering whether I should stop updating CC every time updates become available. The past three CC updates have caused me nothing but problems and brought no new features that have benefited me. I sometimes wish I'd bought CS6 outright and sat on it (until something better comes out by another software developer). At this rate, users must be begging to look at alternative software solutions for their needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They seemed to have stripped all these export options out of CC2014 and CS6 as well. As of right now, I have no way to export a PNG with correct color, in any of the three versions I have. This is absolutely intolerable.

How can they do that?!!! Retroactively remove features from legacy versions???!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate, "Save for Web" is either missing or grayed out as an option in all three versions of Photoshop. Export only works as "quick export PNG", and when I do this, it makes the image 25% darker overall. I have no way of saving a JPEG of any kind — not using Save As or Export. As far as I am concerned, not only is Photoshop completely broken, but they have STOLEN my copy of CS6, by "updating" it so that it no longer functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody actually got paid to make the decision to remove "Save For Web"?  This is the number one function I use all-day-long as a website manager.

Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was about to bash the decision for moving Save for Web (SFW) and replacing with Export As .  However I have spent some time looking at the optimization impact of Export As.  It looks like you get up to a 60% reduction in file size.  That is a huge gain.  You may want to take a moment and review my article to appreciate this new feature.  It maybe NOT BE the best solution for those who need to configure SFW with metada or embed color profile sRGB...but the savings are real and the quality remains the same.  I am running the same image in my full screen slider processed with SFW photoshop 2014 vs Export as Photoshop CC 2015 and the Slides look identical, but 'export as' has a 200KB reduction!  All the best and I hope this helps with your transition over to 2015 CC

http://fritzimages.com/blog/2015/photoshop-cc-2015-export-as-jpeg/26839/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're drawing a false comparison because you are saving at different JPEG quality levels, and reduced quality levels will be smaller.

Your Export As example image is missing a lot of edge detail/sharpness, indicating that it was saved at a lower quality level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

thanks for your response.  I am still trying to understand where my analysis breaks down from your point of view.

My Master Image has been prepared before Save as or Export as . The Image is resized down to 1896 @ 72dp , Color mode 8 bit, and converted to sRGB. Then in SFW, I set Jpeg quality to 60%, I do the exact same thing for Export as Jpeg, (set Jpeg quality to 60%) .  I have upload Image and don't see a shifting quality. I am using Cinema HD Display 2560X1600.  Is the Export as Jpeg quality slider calibrated like the SFW quality slider ?

thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines