Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 6 - Conditional areas

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2007 Feb 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to use the new feature of conditional build tags : the hide/show conditional areas system.
It works perfectly when I want to hide the conditional areas in TOC, Project and Index tabs. I just have to select the tab and use the View menu / Show / Conditional areas.
However, it doesn't work in the WYSIWYG when I want to hide the conditional areas in a topic content.
Do you have any solution ?

Thank you!
Eliser

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliser,

This should indeed work as you expect it to. Right now the only solution I can think of is to use the topic preview option and specify the conditional build tags at the top of the preview window. I've passed the issue on to Adobe and will get back to you as soon as I hear anything.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliser and Craig

I'm not sure what the issue may be. In my copy of 6, the conditional areas are highlighted just fine. Is it perhaps that you are expecting it to actually HIDE the conditioned text as opposed to placing a shading on it?

I'm conducting a Captivate class today, so won't be in the forums much.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, I think Rick is saying the Show/Hide function refers to the shading, and the text stays there in the WYSIWYG view. The purpose is to make that text easier to edit, not to make it disappear.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick and Harvey,

I'll clarify. The View - Show - Conditional Areas is a new feature for the TOC and Index conditional tagging.

However the View - Show - Conditional Areas on the WYSIWYG window is an existing feature on X5. What it does is remove the shading from the WYSIWYG view.

In Robohelp X5 the Show / Hide Conditional Areas feature works fine. When off the conditional text/areas are not shaded in the WYSIWYG window. Very useful if you use coditional tagging a lot as it can obscure the topic content.

In Robohelp 6 the Show / Hide Conditional Areas feature does nothing. I can no longer hide conditional shading in the WYSIWYG view.

Is that a little clearer :-)

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig

Sorry bud. Mine works fine in 6 as well as X5. The areas in WYSIWYG toggle same as they did in X5.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking this out.

Now, I may be mad but I've tested this on a few topics and still see the same bahaviour. Honest gov.

May be Eliser and I have something in common?

Eliser, are you working with the Trial Version?
Rick are you working with the FULL Version?

Thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should put my work aside for a couple of hours and try RH6.

Be careful here, Craig. I know Rick always works with a full deck.

(smile)

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I see it.

1. When you apply a conditional tag to a topic, shading appears in the project TOC at the left and in the topic list at the right.

2. Using View/Show you can toggle this on and off independently for each side. In the project TOC, you have to select any one topic, and the toggle works for all at the left.

At the right, it's the same, but only for that list.
I suppose there's some value in having an option on each side.

However, View/Show won't let you toggle shading for conditional text inside a topic. I think this is a bug, because you can toggle all the other "Show" options -- table gridlines, paragraph marks, bookmarks, and so on.

(By the way, what's a glyph?)

I'm using the trial download of RH6 on a Win2000 machine. So I'm not working with a full install, but hope I'm still playing with a full deck. (Is this understood on the east side of the big briney?)

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Okay, Harvey finally led me to see the light. I think the issue is that a condition has been applied to the topic. I was able to freely toggle the view off and on with topic content until I then applied a condition to the topic itself. Up to that point in time, I had only applied a condition to a word inside the topic and had no conditions anywhere else. Once I applied a condition to the topic, BAM! Now it would seem that regardless of what I try, I cannot toggle the view any longer.

Harvey - According to the help file:

Glyphs
Glyphs are graphics that show where text boxes and positioned text boxes are located in individual topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 02, 2007 Feb 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I have a proposed refinement to your analysis:

". . . Once I applied a condition to the topic, BAM! Now it would seem that regardless of what I try, I cannot toggle the view any longer."

Make that,

" . . . Once I applied a condition to any topic, BAM! Now it would seem that regardless of what I try, I cannot toggle the [conditional text] view any longer."

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2007 Feb 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

This has been reported to the engineering department (Thanks to Craig!) and is now in our bug database. Thank you for reporting this issue.

Thank you,

Bobby Walker
Adobe Technical Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2008 Jan 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this is fixed in RoboHelp HTML Versrion 7?

Thanks,
Tawni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Tawni. Yes this was fixed. In RoboHelp v7 you can now show or hide the color shading of conditional elements (at the content or topic level) and in fact choose to see it (or not) in the Project Manager and/or in the Design (WYSIWYG) editor (or the TOC editor for that matter). The robust customization comes with a bit of a jolt however.

For example, I could elect to see the shading on a topic in the Project Manager and yet not see conditional content shading inside the Design editor view itself. What is affected by the View > Show command is determined by what pod has the focus at the time. This offers many combinations of views.

When I first used it, I had the expectation that using the show/hide command would affect all conditional shading globally. It does not. So you must pay attention to what pod (Project Manager, TOC, etc) has the focus when you use the command.

To me, the increased flexibility still has some rough edges. I would still like to see a "global" show on/off switch and will put this in as a request.
Thanx,
john
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
THANKS. Guess I need to upgrade. The shading is driving me crazy.

Happy New Year,
Tawni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp