• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"you can only authorize this computer with an AdobeID that hasn't been previously used"

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to authorize my new computer with my AdobeID, it gives me this message:

"You can only authorize this computer with an AdobeID that hasn't been previously used to authorize any other computer or mobile devices. Please try again."

It says nothing further and I have no idea what it's talking about since I have only ever authorized my AdobeID with one computer, and that was my old MacBook which I have now replaced. So, what do I need to do to get my current compute replaced? The chat support was totally useless and just sent me here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reason behind this error message. This device is activated with an Anonymous account which has a unique UUID stored in the registry. When you try to activate the same machine with different Adobe ID (UUID), this error message will be thrown.

Solution1: Deactivate the anonymous account and activate with the existing Adobe ID

Note: In this case, the books you have fulfilled with the Anonymous account will be permanently lost.

If you like to continue reading the books fulfilled by Anonymous account, you have to follow solution 2

Solution 2: You have to assign the UUID of anonymous ID to newly created Adobe ID. For more information please refer to, Adobe Digital Editions – Anonymous Activation

Hope this solves your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominic, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure which solution is the appropriate one for me because I'm not aware of having an Anonymous account. Here's what I need to be solved:

In January 2014 I purchased an electronic book that is a .acsm file. At that time, I downloaded ADE on my old MacBook, created an AdobeID, and linked that file to my AdobeID. I was able to read that book on my old MacBook just fine. Then my MacBook crashed, and I had to replace it. I downloaded ADE onto my new MacBook Pro and when I try to link it to my already-created AdobeID, so that I can download that same book again and access it on the new computer, that's the error message I receive above.

So, what do I do in order to link this new machine with my already-existing AdobeID so that I can access books that are associated with that AdobeID?

It sounds like Solution 1 is the answer, but I'm not sure what that means to "deactivate the anonymous account." How do I do THAT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are 100% sure, that you have not fulfilled any book using the Anonymous ID, you can go for Solution 1.

How to deactivate Anonymous account?

1. Launch ADE
  2. Switch to Library mode
  3. Select the menu item Help-->Erase Authorization
  4. Click Erase Authorization

Note: In this case, the books you have fulfilled with the Anonymous account will be permanently lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, reviving this thread. I've got the same error (and honestly do not remember if I activated ever with an anoynous ID or not). Anyway, the error is here, but the options to deactivate and erase activation are grayed out and are not active. So I cannot activate with my ID, cannot activate anonymously. And I have a book borrowed from a library for 14 days....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Tried searching for a solution in the forums, but the posts arn't answered. Even went into the registry editor and deleted the authorization file (suggested elsewhere), but the problem persists.

30 minutes into this and I have a firm wish to never have to have anything to do with Adobe ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - never used Digital Editions, can't activate. This is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded this so called "working software" on another computer, where it was never been installed previously. No firewalls and such. Authorizing anonymously - the same error...Seriously? Is it ever tested?

I wonder if anybody from Adobe read this. The last non-working reply was in 2015. And they ask why people resist DRM.

Deactivating - doesn't work, grayed out

Removing "Adept" from the registry - doesn't help

What else? Creating new virtual machine and bying a new windows license just to read on freaking book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, today both computers activated Ok.

It looks like this error message is an error by itself. It doesn't mean that there is a problem with the old license (or at least not only) but that the activation adobe server is unreachable.

Yesterday http://adeactivate.adobe.com was physically unreachable, and today worked Ok. Just like this.

Excellent idea, by the way, if you plan not to read at your leisure (and spend an hour fighting a problem), but research something for the work or study.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem, but have a mac. my AdobeID is my email address and WAS used on my previous computer. Therefore, it was NOT anonymous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines