• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need to install Flash Player for each brand of browser?

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash install for Chrome -- Firefox doesn't work.
Flash install for Firefox -- Chrome doesn't work...
So, do I need to install twice?  One separate install for Firefox and a 2nd separate install for Chrome?
That puts 2 instances in my "Add/Remove Programs" and I cannot tell which is which.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally no, however there is a flash plugin that you can install separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.... so you mean I should look for a "flash player plugin" from a 3rd party or what?
Technically I am a long time Firefox user and just now decided to try the "Comodo Dragon" browser, based on Chrome as I understand it.
I uninstalled Flash player, rebooted, installed Flash player for Chrome, rebooted and it worked in Dragon, but Firefox wont Flash after that.

I uninstalled Flash player, rebooted, installed Flash player for Firefox, rebooted and it worked there, but Dragon wont Flash after that.

I tried installing both but that looked bad inside "Add/Remove Programs" so I did not even try to Flash -- I just uninstalled both instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi skypefubarbyms,

Firefox and Chrome use two different types of Plugins.  Firefox uses NPAPI plugin.  Up until recently Chrome used the PPAPI plugin and the NPAPI plugin. However, Google is deprecating support for NPAPI plugin in Chrome and they have disabled NPAPI plugins by default.  Google embeds the PPAPI plugin in Chrome, and unless the embedded version has been disabled on your Chrome browser it should work (they recently stopped displaying the non-embedded PPAPI plugin version as well). You can check to see if the embedded PPAPI plugin is enabled or disabled by doing the following:

1. Launch Chrome
  2. In the address field type chrome://plugins
  3. Look for Adobe Flash Player
  4. Make sure the entry is not disabled (grayed out).  If it is, click enable to enable it

Capture.JPG

So, basically, for Firefox, you need to install the NPAPI plugin.  For Chrome, you just need to ensure the embedded PPAPI plugin is enabled.

The Flash Player entries in the Control Panel do distinguish between the different plugin types as follows:

Capture1.JPG

HTH

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria ... thanks for the clarification.  I ended up uninstalling all the flash (freshly installed plain "Adobe Flash Player 18" and "Adobe Flash Player 18 PPAPI") and started again from scratch.  Did the chrome install first and then the firefox install and this time I did get both NPAPI and PPAPI as indicated in your post.  Still seems a bit odd I would need to install twice, but separate browsers so I guess it makes sense, a little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SkypeFubarByMS,

Great to hear everything is working now.  To re-iterate, Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and Google updates Flash Player on Chrome, so there is nothing to install for Chrome.  Unless you're using Opera browser there really is no need to install the PPAPI plugin(Chrome uses the embed plugin, not the one you installed).  If you do decide to uninstall it, the Flash Player uninstaller will remove both plugins, so you would need to re-install the NPAPI plugin for Firefox.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MattD.spoon.net

I replied to your thread indicating the difference in files you mention.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually - no. It won't work 😕 It works for chrome when you enable NPAPI flag.

m_vargas - thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi MattD.spoon.net,

Google is deprecating NPAPI on Chrome and has in fact disabled it by default.  Users have to manually enable it at this time but this will go away in September in Google completely deprecates NPAPI plugin in favor of the PPAPI plugin. See NPAPI plugins don't work on Chrome version 42 and higher - Chrome Help‌‌ and Chromium Blog: The Final Countdown for NPAPI among other resources on this.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines