Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Media Encoder cs5 - No audio

Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Media Encoder cs5 version 5.0.1.0 on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 32-bit machine.  None of the wmv or avi files I try to encode have the audio track encoded.  I have tried encoding with both the "F4V - Match Source Attributes" and "FLV - Web 640 x 480" presets.  Neither of these encode the audio output at all.  The audio track plays correctly in Windows Media Player.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're starting out with .wmv and .avi files, my best guess is that the audio codec in those files is one that AME simply can't work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a look at one of the AVI files, and the audio codec is PCM Audio - so it is not actually encoded with any codec.  Can AME not handle PCM Audio as an input?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, AME can read PCM audio inside of an AVI file.

How are you playing back the F4V or FLV?  Can you post a sample for us to examine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

The AVI file I referred to in my original post is 120Gb, so a bit big to upload to the web.  So, I have uploaded another sample that also does not encode sound. In this instance, the source AVI has the MP3 audio codec.  The source AVI file sound plays correctly through Windows Media Player.  I have used Adobe Media Player and also VLC Player to try to play the encoded FLV - neither produce sound.

The files can be found here -> http://www.axamedia.com.au/source.rar

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the clip.  That file transcodes to F4V and FLV successfully, audio included, on my Windows 7 x64 machine.  The resulting files play back audio as expected in After Effects, Adobe Media Player, and VLC.

Questions:

1. Do the resulting files report as containing an audio stream?  What are the parameters?  In VLC, choose Tools > Media Info, Codec Details tab.  The Project panel info in Premiere Pro or After Effects can also tell you this, as can applications like MediaInfo.

2. Are you changing the Export Settings in AME at all, or are you only using the presets as described in your first post?

3. Try a completely different file.  Try a different format, like QuickTime, WMV, or MPEG.  Does AME transcode the audio from that file?

The goal of question #1 is to determine if AME is having problems writing the audio on your machine.  If isolated to this cause, there may be a system conflict or a problem with the AME application.  Removing competing codec packages or reinstalling AME may solve this problem.

The goal of question #2 is to make sure that this problem is not user error.  User education may solve this problem.

The goal of question #3 is to isolate the problem to a particular file type or file property.  This may indicate a problem similar to question #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The files do show Stream 1 as audio.  The F4V file has an audio track MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a).  The FLV file has an audio track of MPEG Audio Layer 1/2/3 (mpga).
  2. I use the Export Settings unmodified.  I have attached a screenshot of the export settings for the F4V file below.  As a further measure against a "carbon-based" error, I have double-checked, and the volume on my P.C. is definitely turned up .delete me.png
  3. I tried encoding an m4v file - again no audio.  I have encoded a WMV in the past without success.  A thought just occurred to me - I am not sure if I made clear that I have never been able to successfully encode audio for any input file.  This is not just a one-off problem.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if there is an audio track in the F4V file, let's take the next step and check to see if there's anything in it.  My preferred way to do this would be to drop the file into Premiere Pro and examine the waveform.  Do you have Premiere Pro CS4, or a comparable application that can read F4V files, installed?  Premiere Pro CS5 and CS5.5 require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista, and you're only on Windows XP 32-bit.  If you have access to a 64-bit machine, you could download the trial of Premiere Pro CS5.5.

You could also use an audio editing application like Adobe Audition or maybe Audacity to look at the waveform. Worst-case scenario is to use the audio meters or audio visualizer in VLC or Windows Media Player to see if they are representing audio, but that doesn't give me as much confidence as viewing the waveform.

Note that an M4V file, by definition, does not contain audio.  (M4V = MPEG-4 Video)  An MP4 file, on the other hand, should contain audio.

Try an experiment: Pick one known good source file and use AME to export to a variety of outputs: AVI, QuickTime, H.264, and MPEG2 (the plain version, not the DVD or Blu-ray variants).  Also do audio-only formats, MP3 and WAV.  Which, if any, of these formats contain audio?

Assuming that none of them do, because the direction this problem appears to be headed is an overall failure of AME to encode audio, let's look at remediation procedures:

1. Clear the AME preferences.  Quit AME, then go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\ and move the 5.0 folder to the desktop.  Start AME and test the problem.  If the problem is solved, trash that old folder.  If it is not solved, put the old folder back where it came from (replacing the fresh one that AME created).
  2. Clear the Adobe media cache files. Quit AME, then go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Common\ and delete both the Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders.  Start AME and test the problem.
  3. Uninstall and reinstall AME.  For AME, actually, that means uninstalling and reinstalling the host application, such as Adobe Flash Pro.
  4. Uninstall any third-party codec packs, such as K-Lite.  Such multi-codec packs have been known to interefere with normal operation of the A/V codecs on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Many thanks for your suggestions so far.

I loaded the FLV into Audacity, and can confirm it does have a Waveform:

Delete Me.png

I used AME to encode to H.264 using the following settings (again without success).  I am not sure how to encode to the other formats using AME, so I could not complete these tests.
Delete Me 1.png

In frustration, I have completed a complete uninstall of CS5 Web Premium, then ran CS5 cleaner, removed the Adobe folder in %appdata% then reinstalled CS5 Web Premium.  And guess what, it still does not work!

It would seem that there is clearly something installed or corrupt on my PC that is preventing the media encoder from working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

I have made a bit of progress with helping to narrow down where the problem might be occurring.  A work colleague has Adobe CS4 installed on his PC.  I sent him the source video file and had him encode it.  It did this successfully - the audio was correctly encoded.  I then logged on to his PC and duplicated his steps.  When I did it, the audio failed to encode.

I then had him log on to my PC (with CS5 installed - where I have never been able to encode audio) and had him encode the video using CS5.  Again, this was successful - the audio encoded correctly.

So, it would appear that it is not my PC set-up, but rather something in my Windows profile is causing the problem.  Do you know if there is anything in the Windows profile used by AME?  I have already close AME, deleted the Adobe folder from %appdata% and then retried the encoding - but this failed to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting data, Wayne.  Very interesting.

> I am not sure how to encode to the other formats using AME, so I could not complete these tests.

Sorry, that's my fault.  Ignore that test.  I didn't realize you are using the Web Premium suite.  The other formats I referred to are only available if you have Premiere Pro, After Effects, or the Production Premium suite installed.  (I knew this by subconscious deduction, actually, since those products require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista and you stated that you're on XP 32-bit.  It just didn't trickle out to my conscious brain.)

Let's back off for a second and review what we know.  Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these points.

1. You have WMV and AVI source video files.  The audio in the AVI files is encoded as PCM or MP3.
  2. You can hear the audio in these files when you play them in Windows Media Player.
  3. Encoding these files to FLV, F4V, or H.264 appears to complete successfully in AME CS5.
  4. You can not hear the audio of the encoded files in Windows Media Player, Adobe Media Player, or VLC.
  5. Inspecting the encoded files in VLC and Audacity shows both that an audio track exists and that there is a waveform in that track.
  6. Using a different user account on the same machine does not exhibit the problem.
  7. Encoding your source files on a different machine using AME CS4 (your colleague) or AME CS5.5 (my computer, with the sample you posted) does not exhibit the problem.

So, yes, this is most intriguing.  The difference in your ability to hear your source files but not the encoded files is most curious.

I do wonder:

• If you take one of your encoded files to a different machine, does the audio play? (If you post a sample, I'll try it here.)
  • Since Audacity shows a waveform for the encoded files, can your hear the audio in that application?

The only thing I can think of that is unique about the formats that you are using AME to encode to (FLV, F4V, and H.264) is that those formats all use compressed audio.  MP3 in the FLV format, and AAC in F4V and H.264.  (FYI - F4V is simply H.264 insided of a Flash video wrapper.)  What could be unique under your user account related to that?  I don't know.  Possibly if there is a utility on your machine related to compressed audio, that might be intercepting the audio stream in some way.  Do you have any software designed for capturing compressed audio from the Internet?  Or it could be related to the audio card drivers on your machine.

It might be worth sniffing around the %appdata% folder on your account and temporarily disposing of the folders for other programs.  If you can isolate something that way, you may be on the right path.

You might also want to run msconfig (Start > Run > msconfig) to disable background applications and services that could be hijacking the audio.  Go to the Startup tab there, clear everything, reboot, and see what happens.  If that works, start putting the services back one-by-one until you find the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

I finally have it working (hooray) - msconfig was the key. After trying quite a few different things, I went into MSCONFIG and restarted my PC in Diagnostic Startup.  I then encoded the video on my hard drive.  I then restarted my PC in Normal Startup.  The video that I just encoded had sound!  I then re-encoded it with Normal Startup, and that also worked.  It is now running correctly all of the time.  Somehow, running it in Diagnostic mode must have killed the setting that was causing it to error.

Many thanks for your help - it has been a very frustrating few days.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad the problem is solved, Wayne.  Wish I had a good explanation, and I would be tempted to isolate the problem further, but if all is working now then best not to upset the spirits in the machine.  Just remember to occasionally sacrifice a floppy disk in their honor to keep your computer in good working order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. WIndows 7 64bit machine

It is happening to both recently (today) encoded files and ones form more than a year ago. Those older files I know have sound on them.

These file splay back fine on my laptop(same operating system) but not in my editing machine.

I do have soud when playing wmv and avi source files in windows player.

just no flash video sound

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem with the make version of the software. Is there any ideas on the Mac version? Most things I convert has no audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come up with a solution, or any ideas, about this problem on Macs? I've upgraded to the latest version of Media Encoder. Starting with an .avi file. Video is fine, but no audio. I looked in VLC, as someone suggested earlier in the thread, and audio appears to be there. But the audio won't play, not even in VLC. I'm not sure what to use in place of Media Encoder, if this won't work.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my Mac with CS5 and CS6. Any answer yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an audio glitch in CC.

I recently spent a few hours of headache trying to figure it out. When I exported the project, one of the audio layers WOULD NOT export. It wasn't muted, and there was nothing funny about it.

There have been two work arounds noticed until this glitch is fixed. I can verify that both work for the time being. I'm not saying everyone here's problems is the same, but this worked for me and my export:

1. Copy and pase all of your clips/media into a new sequence. It can be the exact same sequence settings, but for some odd reason, exporting from the new sequence doesn't have the problem.

2. Do not use Adobe Media Encoder. Export directly from Premiere Pro. Seems to work.

Here is a link to the other thread which helped me a lot:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1056445

Hope this helps everyone!

-Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been struggling with the same issue. All basic factory settings, rendering straight, uncompressed AVI's, H264 renders...nothing worked!  Windows 7 64bit machine, adobe cc2014 suite. 

Only solution that did work was your MSCONFIG method wayne.allen. Now, after normal startup, all videos rendering with sound! How on earth did you think to solve it that way?

Still have to try on the Mac, but for now the client is happy! 😉

Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines