• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m Graphics unsupported?

New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

(Running Windows 8.1)

My laptop has both an integrated graphics card (intel) and a dedicated one (the Nvidia one mentioned in the title). When I use After Effects and Photoshop, I noticed that they are both automatically choosing to use my integrated card, rather than my dedicated one (which would significantly speed up my work).  So I went to Edt > Preferences > Preview in After Effects and noticed that when I chose GPU Information, my ray tracing was being done via my CPU (using integrated graphics) and the option for GPU was grayed out. Also, under openGL it listed my Dedicated graphics card while the CUDA one was completely grayed out . So I decided to check the box that said "Enable untested, unsupported GPU for Cuda...." then chose my GPU which came up with the dedicated one and showed under CUDA. Now when i went to open a Project that used Ray Traced 3D, i would get errors of shader compilations failing and then one that said "After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Out of paged mapped memeory for ray tracer. Your project may exceed GPU limits. Try closing other applications. Try updating the CUDA driver (5070 :: 2)" so basically it wont work, and my project is a very simple text piece with extruded depth to make it look 3D so theres no reason i should be runnning out of memory.

In photoshop when i go to edit > preferences > performance, the detected graphics processor is the integrated intel one, with no option to switch to the dedicated one.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're running the current AE version, you're not missing anything.  Adobe abandoned GPU-accelerated ray tracing in favor of the more efficient C4D Lite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nnkljnkj wrote:

I noticed that they are both automatically choosing to use my integrated card, rather than my dedicated one (which would significantly speed up my work).

The ray-traced renderer was built on proprietary NVIDIA technology. It was fairly limited. Adobe has moved on, as Dave says, to a much more powerful way of doing 3d. Adobe is putting no more development into the ray-traced renderer. It is obsolete. NVIDIA changed the technology on their newer cards - specifically, they changed the Optix library on which the acceleration of the ray-traced renderer relied. Those cards will never support the ray-traced renderer.

You have some choices:

• Deal with the slow render times on your CPU (bad choice)
  • Downgrade to an older GPU (bad choice)
  • Move on to the more powerful option Adobe has embraced (Cinema 4D is included for free with AE, see my previous link for details) (good choice)
  • Add a third-party plugin that renders REALLY fast (such as Element 3d or Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator or Mettle's ShapeShifter) (good choice)

Holger Gutt wrote:

Same problem here!

Same answer to you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines