• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-references in printed doc

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2008 Jan 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking about converting a FrameMaker book to RoboHelp, where I can generate it as CHM or PDF. But I don't want to lose the page numbers in cross references. RoboHelp seems to convert them to hyperlinks, which are included in the resulting printed documentation (DOC). But I would really like to include page number references as well in the final PDF. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2008 Jan 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

First I don't think anyone has found a way of doing this. It would require a clever macro in Word. I have posted a question on my favourite Word forum and will post back if I get any response. So far though there are no takers, not a good sign as it is a forum that usually gets quick responses.

Post your requirement here.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy way to do this. RH doesn't include any sequence that will convert to a cross-reference in Word, and inserting multiple cross-references in Word isn't as easy as executing a find-and-replace command. The best workaround I've found so far is this:

1. In your RH doc, include a reference that is easily distinguished from other text. For example, "For information on Project Beta, see page BETA."

2. Generate the Word document.

3. Find the first instance of "BETA."

4. Insert a cross-reference to the page number of the Beta heading.

5. Toggle the field code.

6. Copy the field.

7. Find the next instance of your special text ("BETA" in this example).

8. Paste the field reference.

9. Repeat this process until you're finished.

Unfortunately, the field code references change each time you generate the document. Equally unfortunately, Word won't recognize regular braces and text as a field code reference - you have to use the Ctrl+F9 sequence to generate them manually. So you can't just generate the document, insert the first cross-reference, and then replace "BETA" with {PAGEREF _Ref### \h} across your entire document - it won't work. Instead, you must visit each reference and paste the field code sequence manually.

If someone else can improve on this process, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy. If not, it's the easiest workaround I've seen here, so you might find it useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are either of you guys proficient with Word macros?

I've been sent something which I am told needs a bit of tweaking but should convert hyperlinks to cross references. Haven't tried it yet.

Please contact me via my site if you can help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the basics, I'm afraid. Nowhere near "proficient."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2008 Jan 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woo hoo!

I think we have a macro that does the job.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/word/word_macros.htm

Please let me know how well it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that works great! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We try hard to please on this forum.

You need to check your text after running the macro as you might find one or two places where it is not quite right. For example, you have a link followed by something in brackets, now you will have two things in brackets.

Also you may have some unwanted double spaces but that's soon fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*bump*

I haven't tried the macro yet, but I'm surprised at the lack of response to this posted solution despite the large number of requests for such a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if I priced the download at $10, people would queue for it. They just don't believe it can work if it's free.

When I worked in a bank, one of my managers had a customer who was going broke for lack of business. He looked staggered when told to increase his prices. He did and went from success to success. Nobody thought he was any good when his prices were cheap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2008 Jan 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I've made a small change to the macro which removes the space problem.

Either download it again or edit it in Word. Go to the second r.InsertAfter Text and amend it from
") "
to
")"

Removing that space makes it work correctly, at least in my documents!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp