• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

updating flash player internet explorer has stopped working

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been updating flash player for years--successfully.  In the last few weeks, I successfully updated one computer, but the other always  gives an error  message,when I click on RUN or RUN AND SAVE:  "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working".

I did reset Internet Explorer (11) at the suggestion from someone at Adobe.

Both computers have identical versions of Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.

Any suggestions?

CASE NUMBER:  0215904593

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 1ag2‌,

Can you Please provide more information about your Operating System and Version.

Thanks

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piyush,

Thanks for your reply.

Windows 7 – Home Premium – Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 11

Current Adobe Flash Player – 17.0.0.169

As I said, the current version of Flash Player 18 updated perfectly on my desktop computer. The problem is only on the laptop. They have the identical versions of Windows and Internet Explorer...

Thank again,

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 1ag2‌,

Yes, ADM which is the new installer strategy introduced and is quite young and is being used to download an install Flash Player. we are improving upon the quality of the experience and have had a couple of issues these days so might show some inconsistency.

To use Flash Player on your laptop too kindly install using the offline installer which you download and install from the Installation problems | Flash Player | Window‌ Page.

Thanks

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piyush,

Thank you for note—both informative and comforting to know that this is something more than my computer (which I suspected).

The link that you provided that takes me to the “Installation Problems” page—could you please identify the specific link on that page that will allow me to install the “Offline Installer”.

Thanks—for your time and expertise...

Alan

Could you please identify which link on the page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Please use http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ax.exe to get Flash Player offline installer for IE.

Please ensure IE is closed and no instance of IE is running in your Task Manager as well.

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Piyush,

I closed everything on the computer, except for your email with the link. The download proceeded right to the end. Then, at the very end, I got the same error message I always get: “Internet Explorer has stopped working.” I tried it one more time and a message that said, “This program could not be downloaded”—then the usual dialogue box with “IE has stopped working”.

Another thought?

Thanks,

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DID you try what I posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been thinking about it, but decided, so far, that discretion is still the better part of valor: that it was too far beyond my skill level. I have been communicating with a “staff” member who has been trying several less involved solutions.

My first reason for not following your sage (and advanced) advice: if I delete Flash Player altogether, I may not be able to load it, again, and I’ll be left without it, completely (I now have v. 17 which runs perfectly).

I may, at some point, try what you said, but, for now, I’m going to assume that the staff member will find something simpler.

I do appreciate the time you took—and your advice which I may take up soon...

Alan

rom: Carm01

Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 1:47 PM

To: Alan Gray

Subject: updating flash player internet explorer has stopped working

updating flash player internet explorer has stopped working

created by Carm01 in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you might want to look here, but b/c i am not a staff member, I guess I don't know anything;

Can't install updates

I can't install Flash 18 on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

Try this 

Grab the Uninstaller here:

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

run it; it will uninstall ALL flash player versions

Next let make sure you have the correct processes closed.

Open a CMD prompt Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows 7 / Vista Run box

copy/paste the following one by one or make a bat file to do it all in one step How to Write a Batch File (with Examples) - wikiHow

taskkill.exe /im plugin-container.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im firefox.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im iexplore.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im flash* /f

taskkill.exe /im battle* /f

That should close any flash dependent programs ( that I know of )

next in the cmd window do the following:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash /s /d

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash /s /d

rmdir "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" /s /q

rmdir "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Flash Player" /s /q

rmdir "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player" /s /q

IF exist C:\Windows\SysWOW64 rmdir "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" /s /q

( note IF you are on 32 bit you can eliminate anything with sysWOW64 )

Next try installing the files at the bottom of this page one by one.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

Hopefully that will get you up and running. ( why Adobe does not provide a bat file like i have and automate it is beyond me to simplify it for end users)

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your note--one more time. And for sending the success story for the person you helped with the same situation as mine.

My reticence isn't due to anyone else's lack of skill, just my own. Right now, even the very clear instructions you gave go beyond my understanding in several ways. Here's the answer you sent after the success story was reported:

No problem! I got this fully scripted but Adobe does not want to use b/c they want you to pull your hair out lolz.

If anyone wants it, they and send me a message and I will provide it, All you need is the uninstaller, and all flash version listed in their pages, place it in the same folder as my script and run, its literally that simple

Kind Regards

The solution you sent, the one that proved successful is unclear to meboth terms and actionsand that lack of clarity on my part has always served me well over the years, keeping me out of the deeper waters in cyberspace: if it's not too much, could you spell out the steps I need to take in more detail--just to increase the odds...

Thanks,

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alan,

I think you might want to watch my video I created about a scripted clean install process.

Those lines of code are taken from it, and I tried my best in layman's terms to describe what is going on. That is were some of those commands come from, and I had to do a couple of retakes but got it to where it is good enough: https://youtu.be/zVbVDCWAWpo

You can run each of those commands one by one through the command prompt ( Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows 7 / Vista Run box ) as well, and the run the installers.

I think part of where your problem lies is that Internet Explorer and flash might still be running regardless of being closed; yes that can happen, thus not causing Flash to Update. A perfect example is when I was writing this script, I didn't realize that BattleNet.exe uses the NPAPI flash player to run, so when I ran my script I got flash uninstalled, and ALL but NPAPI flash got re-installed, It took me a minute, but quickly figured out what was using flash and that was the culprit, so re-writing my script i included a kill for that very popular game browser, and flash for NPAPI installed just fine.

Hopefully that video can explain some things for you

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines