• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash player downloaded and installed but system still says it is not installed

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I have windows 7 and have downloaded the latest adobe flash player. It gets to 50% and says close IE so I do that and then it continues and says installation finish. on clicking finish it takes me to a page for other products and says enjoy using flash player. when I go to help page and click check it says it is either not installed or enabled and to prove it the clouds re not moving as it says they will if working properly. The files are showing in a file on my computer. I have enabled it in control panel for both IE and Chrome but it still says not installed. The files are in my Please can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong or what else I can do to use flash player. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this 

Grab the Uninstaller here:

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

run it; it will uninstall ALL flash player versions

Next let make sure you have the correct processes closed.

Open a CMD prompt Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows 7 / Vista Run box

copy/paste the following one by one or make a bat file to do it all in one step How to Write a Batch File (with Examples) - wikiHow

taskkill.exe /im plugin-container.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im firefox.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im iexplore.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im flash* /f

taskkill.exe /im battle* /f

That should close any flash dependent programs ( that I know of )

next in the cmd window do the following:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash /s /d

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash /s /d

rmdir "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" /s /q

rmdir "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Flash Player" /s /q

rmdir "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player" /s /q

IF exist C:\Windows\SysWOW64 rmdir "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" /s /q

( note IF you are on 32 bit you can eliminate anything with sysWOW64 )

Next try installing the files at the bottom of this page one by one.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

Hopefully that will get you up and running. ( why Adobe does not provide a bat file like i have and automate it is beyond me to simplify it for end users)

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the information Carm01.

I have followed your instruction you gave but in cmd window I got the following result extract towards the end:

C:\Windows\system32>rmdir "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash

Player" /s /q

C:\Users\Graham\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SHARE~1\SZZ4B6YT\STATIC

~2.COM\swf - The directory is not empty.

Can you please tell me how to empty it if that is what is required as I am not familiar with cmd language without someones help.

If all that works, it may sound obvious but when you end by saying now download the files at the bottom of this page, which ones did you mean, simply the flash player?

hoping you can help, thanks, Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that you delete the contents of that folder manually, then download the two installers (under the heading Still have problems?) and run them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the advice but that must be part of the problem. I cannot find that folder and when I restart pc the message said the specified module could not be found (screenshot below) so it must have been deleted at some time or other. I have had this message before but didn't realise how it affected flash player. can anyone suggest how I get this module back if that is what is needed.

Thanks

Screenshot 2015-07-03 09.57.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try watching this:

Carm S - YouTube

I made a bat file you can grab that will do this clean up process for you. Once again the 3 flash install files at the bottom of the page MUST be downloaded along with the uninstaller ( link above ) and with the clean install bat that I made and place them ALL IN THE SAME FOLDER, The video lays it all out for you if you want to try. You prob have some process open holding up the clean up process. Once again, the install files you directly get from Adobe, all my bat file does is pretty much what i outlines above but installs them as well. This works and is demonstrated in the video.

ALSO:

As for the user that posted to delete system level files manually, that is not the most smart thing to say to users who are not savvy with computers. I don't get why we INSIST they go through this UN-necessary complicated process when Adobe should have made a one click fix it solution.that's just stupid to have a noob PC user to manually fumble around in system level files and folders they should not even be doing in the first place. I been doing on site support in edu for over a decade, and I NEVER let users that are uncomfortable doing such things delete system level files as I know what the result is. A JACKED UP MACHINE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carm 5, thank you for the above information. I downloaded the uninstall and 3 install files and your bat file and ran it with right click administrator as suggested. I watched he file remove and then add back in the install files but at the last second a command message (too fast to read) appeared on your bat file and all the files disappeared again from the folder I had been watching. I repeated the process twice with the same results each time.Unfortunately I am no better off still as do not have any flash player at all.

I do think it might be to do with the dll file I showed in as missing in my screen shot. Do you think that is the problem here as your bat file didn't work for me. If so where do I get the missing dll file from please.

Thanks Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what that is. the bat file works flawlessly I work in EDU and we some 2000 or more machine and tested it on a few of them and works as designed. You might have a virus or some kind of malware that is causing that possibly ( nengine.dll - Microsoft Community ), I do not know. the files should not disappear as you already know.

Try Malware bytes free go here: https://ninite.com/

last column under security should be malwarebytes, click it , then click, then at the bottom choose get installer. download it, then run it. Make sure you update the definitions under data base version as shown in the screenshot below:

Then choose scan, then custom scan then make sure the settings as rest like in the next screenshot

Then Choose scan now, I assume your C drive is your main drive as well.

After that is all done, remove everything it found and try adobe flash install again please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, which folder were you watching?

I just remembered a similar experience I had with Java when I went to update it on some staff machines at work, it installed, but then disappeared from control panel entry; that was a virus and once the virus was removed, the problem was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines