• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC June 2015 update is seriously slow - HELP!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Indesign last week, and it's really really slow.

Lots of lagging - very sluggish in moving things around, menus slow to respond etc. Very frustrating.

Colleague has the same issue both at work and on personal Mac.

Using Mac fully spec'd up to meet requirements.

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 348 Replies 348
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say I've been having same problems (on Mac). Slow performance now compounded for me by major File menu problem (see post), whereby clicking on File menu produces system hang, spinning cursor, etc. Looking at reverting to previous version. Sorry not to be able to provide solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have either of you trashed your prefs? see Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably some other program you run in thee background, then.

Two diagnostic tests you can try:

Create a new user account on the Mac and log in with that.

Start the Mac in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key when you start up).

If the first works, you have a user problem beyond the prefs files. Probably deleting the additional files listed at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup will help.

If the second work, you have to figure out what program/driver is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sloooooowwwwww response to text edits. Slowest when working with text in tables.

Can't really blame other apps in background, as the only change is the Indesign update to 2015 vn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple text copy-pastes between cells are bringing InDesign 2015 to a crashing halt requiring force-quit.

All updates installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try trashing prefs - thanks - will report back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!! I used the keyboard shortcut to remove preferences! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with ID 2015.1. Slow as molasses and locks up anytime I select FILE. Deleting preferences fixed that issue. Still slower than before but workable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,  Maybe you can tell me why Adobe's first response to a legitimate complaint is always some kind of hardware issue or user error. Most of us have been using Adobe for years and years and know a SOFTWARE issue when we see it. I've tried almost everything to fix this but as soon as I updated to CC 2015 my productivity has ground to a halt. I suggest Adobe pull their heads out instead of simply always blaming the user. This was a terrible update and Adobe must know that by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the CC Libraries problem is definitely a software issue. But because it involves the Adobe Creative Cloud, it has to be fixed for the cloud software as well as that for ID, AI and PS so it may be another month or two before we see a fix.

However, I think there are clearly more than one cause, and some people have been helped by doing some of the fixes that Peter and I have suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve yes I have tried those fixes and it has not worked. I use Muse, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator everything except InDesign are okay but a little slow to start up. We are paying for a service that is far from perfect. I was using InDesign on Tuesday and it was okay but today it's really slow. I hope there's a fix soon cheers John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right Steve unfortunately, Apple and Adobe play the old game of not commenting unless it's an easy fix, and simply releasing a patch when they work it out, with some bullet points on "features and fixes" – likely to steer away from any legal liability right?

I'll never understand how Apple or Adobe do their testing because any early updater will learn the hard way and if they've tested with real "in-the-field" setups and users they should nominate those setups for people to review before updating.

When it comes to a design studio upgrading an OS or Adobe package – if its all working fine yesterday and then you update and it doesn't, then its pretty clear you need to undo and restore then await a better update.

While I'm sure it could help whittle down issues (laughing to myself thinking about the old days of System 9 screwing around with custom system extensions and control panels), creating a new user to troubleshoot is just not reasonable use of the average users IT capabilities nor their time, especially for freelancers and people that heavily rely on day-to-day deadlines.

Anyway, I think it's great the community is throwing new fixes up for grabs and for all you new users, keep reporting your results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Class action suit against Adobe for making their users beta testers in the push for profit over product?!?!?  For shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the proposed fixes have worked for me unfortunately - they speed up Indesign for about 10 min and after that it's back to what is was before (hanging, stalling, hesitating) - rather difficult to work with and even more difficult to meet deadlines of clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to post your hardware and OS. This seems to be tied to the Mac version, as I finally applied the update and am not seeing lag under Windows.

It hasn't cleared up any of the annoyances I was hoping it would, but no lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, sorry if I've missed your earlier post. Can you tell me which version OS you found fixed the lag?

This is driving me crazy!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura I updated my iMac to OSX El Capitan and seemed to have fixed the lagging in InDesign cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to 2014 version.  Please email me when you get a fix or describe the fix in the CC app update window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would help I think is if ADOBE would give us the ability to utilize a specified amount of ram.  ANd Give you an option to use the GPU or CPU like Illustrator and Photoshop.  Like you can do with photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately CB, this isn't a CPU/RAM issue.  The program is constantly taking everything you create and placing it in the cloud whether you want it to or not.  The program waits for the cloud process completes before performing any functions you have asked of it.  Adobe has determined that their cloud is more important than your work.  It's a shame but not out of character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really sucks.  I would still like the ability to tell Indesign what i want it to use for Graphics/Ram ETC....  So any one from Adobe in here Lets give us more control on the performance side Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I believe I have the solution for this. Or a good starting point at least. I know some of you had already tried this, but it works fine for me. This is a follow up to my response earlier about the delay in accessing the FILE menu. Yes, turning off WiFi fixes the problem, but it had slipped my mind at the time I wrote that response that I have gone through this a few times in the past year or so. Whenever Adobe products: Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro are giving me a hard time, like spinning beach ball, delay in accessing menus, apps crashing, cursor not catching up, etc. it is because I have to update the software. Each time this happens, and I update Creative Cloud first, then update the apps, when I go back in, they work fine. No more delay or spinning beach ball, even when connected to WiFi.

With Creative Cloud I use:

Mac Pro and two different MacBook Pros

Each computer gives me the same trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly my process for updating.  I'm on a windows 7 machine.  ID 2015 is still slow as molasses regardless of my settings or preferences.  Kinda sad when a program can't keep up with my slow-^$$ typing.  If the boss decides to keep the subscription, I'll wait until a few months after 2016 is released to see if the situation improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines