Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 1303 in Windows 7

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader Installation encounters an errror:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory. C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font\PFM

The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

Can anyone help with this.

Thanks

Tee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem since upgrading to win7. I am the only user on this PC so I am the admininistrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of reader is installed in your system? Are there any other error messages you are receiving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find the fix in the forums. It said to click on START, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. In the window type:

icacls "c:\ProgramData" /T /C /grant administrators:F 

then press ENTER. A list of changes will scrool by at the end close the window. I think if the error message refers to a different folder you can change      ProgramData     to the folder named in the error message. The location of all the directions that I followed are at:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/329/329117.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did what you said and now the proof will be in the pudding.

lets hope it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problems installing a valid version of MS office Home and Student 2007 with error 1303.  No matter what I tried, I had no ability to change access/permissions to change ownership of the necessary folder C:\programfiles (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\equation\1033.  I tried a plug in reg program "GrantAdminFullControl" which was useless, and about 3 hours of google searching for solutions.  Also tried to totally disable UAC (successfully, but did not solve original problem).  Lots of reference to ms forum which says to simply change ownership/access control, which is all well and good if you can do it, which is typically not able (thus the original problem). This new windows 7 home premium (64-bit) pc came preloaded with ms works, so I thought the original ownership was microsofts.  Thinking I was smarter than the average bear, I opened control panel, programs and uninstalled ms works, as a hunch....uninstalled fine, but still no access to change my single login admin to change folder permissions.  So I finally figured it out....

Reboot into safe mode in any way possible (networking, prompt, etc).  Once in safe mode, go to the folder that is causing you the hassle, in my case it is listed above.  Once you are at the folder, right click and go to properties, get into the administrative folder for security and edit the permissions.  In safe mode I was able to take over full controls of all settings.  Click apply, then ok then close the folder.  Reboot normally, and you should (might!) have found the program now installs without the permission problem of your install folder.  I think the safemode boot with permission changes to any specific folder should provide a valid solution to whatever installation package fails with the "error 1303" message, as long as the error message tells you the problematic folder that needs change. Let me know if it works for you.

DrJonny, 7/19/10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem while updataing my Adobe to 10.1.something. The error was on a different file. It was ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0 ) I search for about three to four hours are so for a solution untill I came across this forums sight and read the posts. I did what you said, word for word, and it work! I don't know why this error was happening because I am the Administrator. Any way, Thanks for your help.

Take It Easy

PEACE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tee, in order to solve your problem you will need to take a few simple steps. First, download the exe install file, but do not click to open and install just yet. Secondly, right click the downloaded file and select security. You will see an option listed to Unblock the file, if you do not find the option to Unblock the file because it was downloaded from an outside source, simply ignore this step. Next, go into control panel and select uninstall a program. Once inside the uninstall menu, delete previous versions of the software if applicable. Then, go to the start menu and select "Computer", then OS (C:), then Program Files(x86). Once you are in the program files x86 folder, right click the Adobe folder and delete it from your computer. Once this has been deleted all permission rights to the file will be erased because the file no longer exists. Upon install a new file will be created. Last but not least, right click your install file and click "Run as administrator", and say goodbye to the errors! I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Stephen (P.S. I am looking for a tech support job cough cough hahahah jk)

Message was edited by: Clay Thomas1989

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I read your post and really you have done a great job this is the best way to fix error 1303 window 7 but i have something to recommend you to same fixing of these type of errors someone recommend me to visit http://www.error1303.com this site when i visit this it attract me and i get all that fixing tools which i want to find from this site its really good for my PC i hope you also check this and get good benefit.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got the same problem when I was trying to install Reader 10.1.4

I read the suggestions here and got scared. I resolved it by myself very simply: I checked my running processes, and killed all adobe processes (especially the ARM, which is Adobe Reader and Acrobat. After killing the processes, the installation was successful.

HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the previous solutions worked for me until the last one. Killing the processes did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I solved this was the following:

1. Changed the Owner on the ProgramData directory from Owner to Adminstrator.  I'm not sure if this was part of the solution or not.
  2. Uninstall all Adobe products
  3. Restart my machine
  4. Make sure the CMap directory was now removed
  5. Ran the installation program

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried asking Windows 7 help for the location of the Program Data Directory and it was no help!  Same for the CMap directory?  Are you sure you are talking about Windows 7 here???

Also, when I got Error 1303, i decided to create a new directory called Adobe2 under Program Files.  This didn't work either, except that error 1303 never showed up.  This time, the installer went through to about 90% of completion and then told me that the installer had been interrupted before completing and then rolled itself back to square one!

What the heck is wrong with this program?????

So, is there Program Data Directory and a CMap directory in Windows 7????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for the suggestions.  Much appreciated.  But my problem is not with the READER, it's with ACROBAT XI PRO, which is the CREATOR!

Am I missing something here?  Will removing the reader somehow help to install ACROBAT?

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the Acrobat/Reader cleaner and ran it, restarted the computer and tried to reinstall Adobe Acrobat 11.  All went well, no error 1303 anymore,  until almost the very end, and then I got this:Adobe Setup Interrupted.JPG

This is the same thing that happened to me yesterday multiple times when I tried to install Acrobat into a new directory:  C:\ProgramFiles\Adobe2.

What is wrong with this program??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron Roscoe wrote:

But my problem is not with the READER, it's with ACROBAT XI PRO, which is the CREATOR!

You appended your question to a five-year old topic regarding a 1303 error during Reader 9.x installation.  Better start a new topic in the Acrobat forum, or the Downloading, Installing, Setting Up forum.

It will also help if you tell them your operating system, and provide install log details; see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545723

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. I have solved the problem! I searched for “Setup Interrupted” on the Adobe Forum and there I found the bright idea to download and install the Trial version of Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, but to use my serial number instead of checking Trial at the start of the installation. Installed flawlessly.

Too bad Adobe has such poor support; alert support staff could have probably solved this for me in a few minutes, rather than my spending three days on it!

Ron Roscoe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always Contact Customer Care by chat or phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Just disable your anti virus program and then install adobe reader or acrobat. you will be able to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines