Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to merge Static PDF files and PDF Forms

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2007 Nov 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The issue I am facing is this: 1200+ PDF forms that employees will need to sign. The docs are being created in MS Word, and all have a standard signature block. We have prototyped using LiveCycle Designer 8 to add fields to static PDF files (print Word files into Acrobat, import into LiveCycle and paste in fields) but this is pretty labor-intensive to use with a minimum of 1200 forms per quarter.

The employee forms go into a CF8/Oracle library app (stored as BLOBs) and served up for 7,000 or so employees to sign. Posted data goes back into database.

Here is the issue: Does anyone know any way to use some combination of cfpdf / cfpdfform / cfdocument that will allow us to create ONE generic signature block form, 1200 static PDF files, and merge them on the fly?

<cfdocument> apparently does not allow PDF data to be included with a <cfpdfform>, as I have tried outputting PDF variables, toBinary(PDF variable), PDF served by <cfcontent> and various other combinations.

(If the non-form data were HTML, we could easily output in a <cfdocumentsection> of the cfdocument, and add the <cfpdfform source="#genericForm#" action="populate"> and be done with it. But, we can't.)

<cfpdf action="merge"> with a combination of a static PDF file and a populated form results in a flattend PDF file with no form data.

I am acutely aware that LiveCycle 8 uses the XFA schema, and regular PDF documents use a different schema. And, this may prohibit what we want to do.

If anyone has experience with CF8 PDFs and PDF forms, or has any helpful thoughts, I would be appreciatively gross. Needless to say, this is a six month project that must be live at the end November.

Thanks!

Jim Bates
Verizon Business

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Did you figure out how to make this work? I have the same issue. Thank you!

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 08, 2008 Jan 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
As I mentioned on the other thread, the forms need to be flattened. CFPDF cannot flatten LiveCycle forms, only Acrobat Forms. The suggested solution was to use LiveCycle ES http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c052176

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation