• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parameters with Hyperlinks

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want to include links in our html help projects to certain pages on our website that are available by subscription only. We were hoping to be able to pass the serial number as a parameter when they click the link. The target page would then check the serial number and direct them accordingly. The serial number is stored in the registry, but we could also place it in a configuration file if necessary. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2007 Dec 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be completely off the mark here but maybe the way to handle this in the absence of any other input is to link to a batch file that could check the subscription and then re-direct them to a HTM page. I'm not aware of a way that RH can handle such a request otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2008 Jan 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, Colum. (Sorry I didn't acknowledge it sooner, I just got back from a two week vacation.) I've never used a batch file with RH. Is there any information available on how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am no expert on batch files myself. I tend to leave all this sort of stuff to the experts - my developers. I have dabbled but it depends on what you want to use to produce the batch file in as to what you need. In the first instance, go to your developers who would be able to produce what you require much quicker than you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating the batch file isn't really the problem. I don't know how to link it to the help project. Assuming there's a batch or script out there that does what I want, how do I get the hyperlink in the .chm file to recognize it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi

In your last post you refer to a .chm file, but previously you had talked about web pages so I assumed you were using webhelp. It is not possible to pass parameters within a .chm file as these are done with server side software.

I just tried linking this forum to my .chm file and it worked fine. Even though it was going to a cold fusion page rather than a static HTML page. I just copied the URL from my browser and linked it in the .chm. It even logged me in automatically. Of course, this only works because my computer "remembers" the login and password.

I would think you could achieve what you want if the installation program could write the correct cookies to automate access. Then you would only need to create the link to the web page. I think it would also be possible for the end user to limit their own access with their security level settings, so I'm not sure this is a good idea.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp