• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: How do I diagnose and resolve an OpenGL-related error?

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following information applies to Character Animator version 23.0 and earlier, which use OpenGL. For GPU errors in Character Animator version 23.1 and later, which use Metal (on macOS) and DirectX 12 (on Windows), see the GPU FAQ.

If any of the following error messages appears upon launching Character Animator or when trying to display a scene in the Scene panel or open the Puppet panel:

• "OpenGL setup failed -- the Scene panel will likely be blank. Updating your graphics card driver may fix this issue. See adobe.com/go/ch_opengl for details."
  • "OpenGL setup failed -- Scene panel will likely be blank. Updating your graphics card driver may fix this, unless you're using Remote Desktop."
  • "OpenGL setup failed -- Character Animator requires a display set to at least 32-bit color. See adobe.com/go/ch_opengl for details."
  • "AIF/OpenGL error -- graphics card driver may need updating."

it is usually due to older/obsolete graphics drivers or the OpenGL capabilities of your graphics card/chipset not being enough for Character Animator. OpenGL version 3.2 or later should be supported. If you are connecting to a Windows machine over a Remote Desktop connection, it might be because the Remote Desktop Connection's Display setting for Color is set to True Color (24-bit) or less.

To diagnose and resolve OpenGL-related issues, try the following:

• Install the latest supported/qualified graphics driver for your graphics card/chipset. Check for the latest OS updates, graphics/display updates available on your computer manufacturer's web site (e.g., from Dell, Lenovo, etc.) or chipset manufacturer's web site (e.g., from Intel, NVIDIA, or AMD). Confirm that the OpenGL support is at least v3.2.
  • (Windows only) Check that your monitor is not running at High Color (16 bit) or Thousands of colors. If it is, switch it to True Color (32 bit) or Millions of colors. For example, on Windows 7 or 8.x, right-click on the Desktop, choose "Screen resolution", click "Advanced settings", click the "Monitor" tab, then look for the "Colors" setting.
  • (Windows only) Do not launch Character Animator over Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) or in a virtual environment (e.g., VMWare, Hyper-V, etc.). If you do try to launch over RDC, make sure the Remote Desktop Connection's Display setting for Color is set to Highest Quality (32-bit).
  • Try quitting other graphics-intensive applications (e.g., effects and editing applications, web browsers with several tabs open, etc.), and possibly launching Character Animator after a machine restart but before launching other applications.
  • Try the steps outlined in this thread.

If the OpenGL-related error continues to appear, and you have a graphics card/chipset more than a few years old, it might not have the available OpenGL capabilities for the application.

To help us diagnose the issue on Windows, try running the GLview utility (OpenGL Extensions Viewer - Download), taking a screenshot of the Summary page, then clicking the Report task link in the left sidebar, and then copying the Report info (right-side box) for us to examine. Please create a bug report for this information.

Also, see this related document: FAQ: Why is my scene not showing anything or not showing my puppets?

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, are bug reports for known problem hardware configs (eg, Intel HD 3000 with OpenGL 3.1) still worth reporting?

My report will tell you what you already know, that GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 and GL_ARB_texture_multisample are missing. But as my Dell laptop is stuck with Intel's 9.17.10.4229 driver, I'm happy to post the report if any of the other details are of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben... I'm assuming your machine only has that Intel chipset, and not discrete graphics such as from NVIDIA or AMD? If so, and if there is no future Intel driver that provides the needed OpenGL v3.2 or later and those OpenGL extensions, no additional report is needed at this time. Thanks for checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my computer setting, my True color is set 32 bit. Now I have a BIG ISSUE: I don't have graphics driver that you mentioned above which should be updated. I just have AMD Radeon HD 6630M and Intel (R) HD Graphics Family (attached a screenshot below). So that now I cannot open my puppet or scene. it says "Failed to render warped image", this warning is followed by some error items. How to fix it? I really really need help.

Now I use Beta 5 version. Can anybody share a link of another verion of Character Animator to download and install? My email is  <removed by moderator: Please use forum email to avoid spam> I am really appreciated to you all!!!

QQ截图20170128120723.pngQQ截图20170128111444.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chongh90634486... Did this error just start happening with Beta 5 and not an earlier release (Preview 4 or earlier)?

If you restart your machine and don't have other applications running, does it work?

If you create a new project and import your puppet again, does it work?

What are the pixel dimensions of your artwork and scene? If you use a smaller artwork file, does it work?

I'm wondering if Character Animator is using the Intel integrated graphics instead of the discrete AMD graphics. Is there a way to disable the Intel graphics for Character Animator so that Ch uses only the AMD chipset?

Can you export the puppet as a .puppet file (File > Export > Puppet) and send me a link to it so that I can try to reproduce here?

The only way to install an older version (e.g., Preview 4) is to install the older version of After Effects CC 2015, which you should be able to access via the Creative Cloud application, in the Apps tab, under the Find Additional Apps section. Click the All Apps popup on the right side, then choose View Previous Versions.

Thanks,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to have this problem. My CPU supports OpenGL 4.5.

When I restart my pc it  works if i immediately boot Character animator but after a while it freezes.

My version is 1.1.1  Previous versions did not have this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more information about your machine? Make/model for your GPU? Do you have both integrated graphics from Intel and discrete graphics from NVIDIA or AMD?

Was it Version 1.1 that was working fine, or an earlier Beta version?

Is it freezing with a specific error message? What operation is being done at the time when it freezes?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel core i7-5500U CPU
Intel HD Graphics 5500
NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M (this is the GPU i assigned using the method in this thread: Character Animator AIF/OpenGL error. Updating drivers not working. Using Intel HD 3000.

I just downloaded beta 6 again and the same error popped up.. so at least it was a earlier version than that one.

It seems to freeze when I do Ctrl E (edit original .ai file) Illustrator freezes also.

Thanks for your quick response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right-click the Character Animator.exe or its shortcut, do you see a "Run with graphics processor" submenu where you can choose either the Intel or NVIDIA GPU? (as described in https://forums.adobe.com/message/10007475

If so, see if either option makes any difference.

Also, try Photoshop artwork, such as the Chloe template puppet on the Start workspace, to see if it's just Illustrator files.

Also, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your GeForce and Intel GPUs. We've been aware of issues with older GeForce Experience software (and its overlay feature) causing issues with Character Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I'm also experiencing the aif/opengl error - graphics card driver may need updating - CA crashed for me last night and it started happening immediately after. My Open GL info is 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77, running on Widows 10 64 bit build. (I'm not even going to pretend to know what that means.) I downloaded Geeks3D GPU shark - and the open GL demos are working fine through that. Could someone walk me through troubleshooting - I've gone through the standard update drive bit, and my NVIDIA screen isn't showing the options outlined above. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out - my file size was just to big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines