• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to link a topic in a Robohelp project  to another topic in another Robohelp project but it is not working. I have Robohelp 10. The two projects are kept at the same location. And the generated output of the second file is kept inside the first project.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information needed.

What are your steps and where does the process break down?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just inserting the hyperlink by following the simple steps. Click on Insert Hyperlink > Select File in Link To option > Select the topic to link. Then generate the file. But in the output, when I click on the link created, it shows "could not connect to the path".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide answers to my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the two projects up as merged help? (There are tutorials on my site for merged help).

If not, then I think the link is being written by RoboHelp based on its location when you create the link. When you generate the help that path will be different, hence the link cannot connect. The simple solution for just one link of this type would be to work out the correct relative path when the help is published.

Do you have many such links? If you do then merged help might be your better option but that merges all the content in both projects and that may not be what you want. RoboHelp 11 introduced the ability to share topics between projects and that may be better suited to what you are trying to achieve. Tell me more about what you need.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Robohelp 10.

I have not set the two projects as a merged help. I dont want to merge the content of the two projects. I want to show the output as Two different Helps, but connected to each other.

Yes, I have many links to be given across both the projects. Does Robohelp 10 has the ability to share topics between projects? If yes, then where is that option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have RoboHelp 10, that is why I specified that is was RoboHelp 11 that introduced the ability to share topics. It is of course also in the current version RoboHelp 2015.

With that method, the topic will be in both projects and when you update it in one project, it will update the copy that is in Resource Manager. When you next open the other project, you will be prompted to update the common topic and when you generate the other project, its content will be brought up to date.

There will not be any links as the topics will be in both projects. If that is not acceptable to what you want to achieve, then manually writing the links is the way to go. If the help is on a server where everyone accesses the same copy, then you could create the links to that location.

Hope that is all clear. Post back if clarification required.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the option to share topics.

I want to manually write the links but, in the source file, the link shown is already correct. However, in the output, the link shown in the address bar is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the Help at a server where everybody can access. The Help is placed in my local D: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum where other users attempt to help out. If you want immediate answers then you should be looking to Adobe's paid support. Those who support the forum are scattered around the world so as well as personal priorities, time zones come into play. It is mid evening where I am.

You will not find the option to share topics in Rh 10. As I have pointed out, the first version of RoboHelp that allows topic sharing is Rh11.

How will your users view the help? That will not be from your D drive.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I have been researching for this issue for so many days but did not get any resolution.

The users view the Help in html output which is integrated into the software. How do I give the links to that location?

Also, the links shown in the source file is correct but when I see the output, it shows incorrect link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say HTML Help you mean your are creating Microsoft HTML Help (a CHM), correct? I don't believe you specified that at the outset and it does affect how you create links. In the dropdown when you create a link you should see Remote Topic, try using that. If you don't see that, make sure that Microsoft HTML Help is set to be the default help output.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not CHM. It is webhelp, which we generate and display to the end users. In the dropdown, I cant see Remote topic. I'll check what is set to be the default help output.

I think cross linking between two projects is possible only through merging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remote topic is for CHMs which I thought you were using. Ignore that part of my reply.

The output your users will see will either be on a web server or installed on their PCs. Which is it going to be? You may need to ask your developers.

Whatever the answer, the link is not going to be the same as on your local drive.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The output that users will see will be installed on their PCs. Users install the software product and open the webhelp integrated within the software.

So, what is the resolution now? Merging the WebHelps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably. I will reply tomorrow.

Does your project have any links to PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project just has internal links....within the project...no external links..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution above is for links between topics of two projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nitika,

I am also trying to cross link topics of two projects.

Just tried placing the SSL folder of second project inside the Source folder of first project. It is working. But this may not work on customer end.

So, the best would be that the output (SSL) of second project is kept inside the output (SSL) of first.I am trying this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would work if you place the entire second project inside first project and then create links.

The basic requirement is to keep the WebHelp output folders in same hierarchy as the two source projects have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sia,

I tried your problem of linking topic of one project inside another project.

The solution is keep the webHelp output of the second project at the same location. See the detailed steps:

1. Create a Project1.

2. Create a Project2 and create some topics.

3. Inside Project 1 ->Select some text ->create hyperlink to one of the topics in Project2 by choosing "File" from the dropdown menu of Hyperlink dialog.

4. Generate WebHelp output of Project1, lets say at a location like , "d:\Project1\index.htm.

5. Now generate WebHelp output of Project2 and keep it at the location. d:\Project2\index.htm.

6. Now View result of Project1 WebHelp output and verify the hyperlink.

It should work now.

Let me know if you face any issues in this.

Thanks and Regards

Nitika Mangla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nitika,

I have already followed these steps but it did not work...Also tried keeping the output (SSL Folder) of second project inside the first. But its not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sia,

The SSL folder of second project need not be copied under first project, the webhelp output of both the projects should be kept at same hierarchy.

The Hyperlink creates a relative link to the other project.

Please share the screenshots showing the path where have you placed the WebHelp output of second project and also of WebHelp output where it says Cannot open link, if it is still not resolved.

We will be happy to help you out with the correct path.

Thanks and Regards

Nitika Mangla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried keeping both the outputs (Project A and B) at same hierarchy but its not working.

It is working when the below 2 points are done:

• The output of Project B is kept inside the output of Project A
  • The output of Project B is kept inside the source of Project A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp