• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code changes when upgrading to RH7

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need do make a lot of translations and use a translation memory system for this purpose. We have built up a lot of topics in several languages which are used for the translation of new topics. The translation memory compares the sentences in the new topics to those found in the old material, automatically translating identical sentences and proposing similar sentences to the translator.

When upgrading to RH7 changes the HTML code, we run the risk of losing the benefit of the existing transaltions, if the changes are too much for the tranlsation memory system to handle.

Has anyone out there already worked with the combination of old topics in translation memory (STAR Transit) and upgraded topics in a new translation project?

Is there an option not to make the code changes?

Regards

---Dirk Bock

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dirk

There is no option not to change the code. I know next to nothing about translation work but if it is working on your content, that doesn't change. Am i missing a point?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2007 Nov 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

The fuzzy match mechanism of the TMS compares the sentences to be translated to those, which have been translated already. Non-contents stuff, like tags, are disregarded - but not completely. If the number of characters making up a tag changes drastically, the TMS will not find the translation even though the actual contents is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2007 Nov 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I understand your concern. No change in the code but the TMS will still not match it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2007 Nov 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dirk,

I don't think that you will feel the pinch as we have not made much changes in the output code. The output code was always clean. It is the intermediate code (the code that you see in the HTML editor) whcih has been improved. Also, the most of the cleanup in the final code is about removal of unnecessary HTML comments or small fixes. My best guess is that your translation memory would work as it used to and you will not find much difficultly in finding the newly updated content if you run the same on the final Webhelp output. However, I would still suggest that you run some tests before upgrading your system. Also, do let me knwo if you find any difficulty. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way.

Thanks,
Akshay (amadan@adobe.com)
Product Manager - Adobe RoboHelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We localize in-house from English into 12 languages. We are investigating upgrading our RoboHTML2002 to RH7. Our translators use Trados with Tag Editor. Initial translator tests show some minor fuzzy matches that used to be 100 pct matches. But the majority of the converted RH7 topics come thru clean. For the most part, greater than 90 percent of the original 100pct matches still come thru as 100 pct matches.
We are having TOC problems in our tests, but are researching workarounds.
Hope that helps.
JoeC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to RoboHelp 7 and noticed when I did a difference report in Beyond Compare, that the kadov tags were indeed removed. I'm talking with our translation company to see how they will charge us when this comes up as a fuzzy match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I upgraded to RoboHelp 7 and noticed when I did a difference report in Beyond Compare, that the kadov tags were indeed removed. I'm talking with our translation company to see how they will charge us when this comes up as a fuzzy match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp