• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is AdobeFlashPlayer_18au_a_install.dmg v.18.0.0.203 from get3.adobe.com legitimate?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On July 8th, 2015, the Adobe Flash Player Install Manager popped-up on my iMac (Yosemite 10.10.3) directing me to a screen with an update from:

https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download?installer=FP_18_Mac_for_Safari_and Firefox_-_NPAPI&os=OSX&browser_dist=Safari&type=au&browser_vers=8

The file that was downloaded was:

AdobeFlashPlayer_18au_a_install.dmg

which installed the new version of Adobe Flash Player 18.0.0.203 

Then I came across the following discussion and felt quite concerned:

Re: Problem verifying Adobe download site

I'm not sure what I downloaded is a legitimate file or may be malware, etc.

I later went to directly to the adobe.com website and the file that was downloaded was different:

AdobeFlashPlayer_18_a_install.dmg

I have not tried to install it.

Today I uninstalled the questionable version of Flash Player from my iMac and ran Intego's VirusBarrier - nothing suspicious was found.  Am I in for a headache having installed something illegitimate?  Or is it safe to now install AdobeFlashPlayer_18_a_install.dmg?

Note:  Today, July 9th, 2015, the same message from Adobe Flash Player Install Manager popped-up on my 17" MacBookPro (OS X 10.9.5), but I didn't trust updating that way and went directly to the adobe.com website to get AdobeFlashPlayer_18_a_install.dmg

Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi imeer52557279,

Yes, both of those files are legitimate.  The thread you reference is referring to a malicious domain, which has been taken offline.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Maria.  Glad to know that domain is offline and my iMac is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines