Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unwanted topics in search results

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2007 Jul 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to avoid having unwanted topics in search results. We are using conditional build tags and the TOC looks great in the help, but if the user performs a search other topics that don't meet the conditions are displayed.

I did see a work around posted here but that was from 2004 - and it was nasty...I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole (although I suppose I will if I have to!) Does anybody have a current solution?

The old workaround was something like this:

1. Open Windows Explorer and locate the topics you wish to hide.
2. Rename each topic from using a file extension of .HTM to .XHTM
This will cause many broken links inside RoboHelp HTML. Don't sweat them.
3. Edit all links that called these files formerly so that they correctly point to the new filename.
4. Delete the topic references to the old .HTM filename. These will be indicated in your list of topics with a nice red X on them.
5. Add the new .XHTM topics to your baggage files. You may discover during this process that RoboHelp seems to refuse adding them. If this occurs, you can use info on Peter's site to overcome this. Click here and scroll down to Snippet number 2 and check it out if you have this issue.
6. Compile and test!

See why I'm scared? 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2007 Jul 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The search will not include topics excluded by the build expression.

It will include topics that are in the build but not in the TOC.

The search is based on what is in the build, not what is in the TOC.

Reread that, it does make sense!

Then check the results you are getting again.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing something similar, but I have popups that display another page. The popups are in the build, but not in the TOC. I do not want the popup pages returned in the search results. How do I exclude them from the search results, but still have my popups work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2007 Jul 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Something you can do without creating an actual topic, but still have pop-ups is this. Highlight the words which would call the pop-up, then go to 'Insert' on the menu, and select 'Text-Only Pop-up.' This will open a small box. Type in your definition, or short description, etc. and click off outside the box and the link will be established. Click the eyeglasses icon to view the topic and click your new link to see how well the pop-up text works. It's great. And I've been told, this is the new standard for help files.
I'm still having a hard time imagining why you'd have a topic you didn't want the user to see as a search results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2007 Jul 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this issue was resolved elsewhere about a year and a half ago:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=450&threadid=1134719&enterthread=...

Try this approach, and let us know whether it does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp