• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export excel - query names columns headers

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy - I would like CF to basically import a SQL table into EXCEL without creating an HTMl page. I want CF to create the excel file from scratch on the fly - no using templates.

I want CF to name the excel column headers, then export all of the records into the excel file.

I have about 150 column names that could change over time, so I do not want to create an html page - I want CF to create the columns based on the SQL table column names.

I could then either save, or open the file

Anyone got any ideas - thanks!
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008
This is the exact code that now works perfectly!!!! - Thank you so much - I was really stuck on trying to do the order in the order by clause of the query, which was totaly wrong - cool to have cfloop list do all of the ordering.

<body>

<cfquery name="getColumns" datasource=".........">
SELECT Column_Name
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns
WHERE Table_Name = 'Fields'
AND Table_Catalog = '......'
</cfquery>

<cfquery name="getData" datasource="........">
SELECT #ValueList(getColumns.Column_Nam...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you wish to export multiple tables? Use your database's metadata to obtain the column names for each table. That syntax is determined by your database. An MS SQL example is

<cfquery name="getColumns" datasource="...">
SELECT Column_Name
WHERE Table_Name = 'YourTableName'
AND Table_Catalog = 'YourDatabaseName'
</cfquery>

In a second query use the column names to retrieve the data.

<cfquery name="getData" datasource="...">
SELECT #ValueList(getColumns.Column_Name)#
FROM YourTable
</cfquery>

Then dynamically display the values using cfquery's columnList variable and array syntax. Use cfheader and cfcontent to simulate an excel file.

<cfoutput query="getData">
<tr><cfloop list="#getData.columnList#" index="columnName">
<td>#getData[columnName][currentRow]#</td>
</cfloop>
</tr>
</cfoutput>

This is very a common task. Search the forums and google. You will find a range of examples and options, such as
http://www.cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=1197
http://www.bennadel.com/blog/474-ColdFusion-Component-Wrapper-For-POI-To-Read-And-Write-Excel-Files....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - very helpful.

However - having one issue. The returned data is being ordered in a different sequence than the column names

Is there an order by command in SQL to order the data in the ORIGINAL sequence listed in the SQL table. It seems that SQL is creating its own order sequence for the data, so the data ends up not matching the column name created in the column name query....

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using two different column lists, the data should always match the column headers.

The column order is a different story. The cfquery "columnList" variable always returns columns in alphabetical order. You must create your own column list to preserve the desired order.

For MS SQL, order the columns by ORDINAL_POSITION. Then use ValueList to create the list of columns

<cfset columnNames = ValueList(getColumns.Column_Name)>

When you output the headers and data use the #columnNames# variable, not #getData.columnList#.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again - incredibly helpful - and sorry, this seems easy enough, but having a minor snafu

Using this query:

SELECT Column_Name
AND Table_Catalog = 'mydatabase'
</cfquery>

when i create the list to order by, this is what happens:

<CFSET variables.Column_Order = ValueList(getColumns.column_Name)>

Then I test the output to see what it looks like:

<CFOUTPUT>#variables.column_Order#</CFOUTPUT>

And the result is weird - it gives me a perfect list with commas, then a second list of the same data with no delimiters...

Example of output - this is exactly how it displays on the web page - so I can not use this output in my order by statement, cause throws a query error due to the second line of duplicate non-delimited results.. any idea why this is happening - theoretically this process makes sense, but maybe I am missing a bit of syntax? THANKS!

AGENTCODE,POLICYNUMBER,POLICYSTATUS,VEHICLEID,DATEPOLICY
AGENTCODEPOLICYNUMBERPOLICYSTATUSVEHICLEID,DATEPOLICY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should not happen. My guess would be a problem in the code or nesting of cfoutput tags.

To isolate the issue, create a page containing only

SELECT Column_Name
AND Table_Catalog = 'mydatabase'
</cfquery>
<CFSET variables.Column_Order = ValueList(getColumns.column_Name)>

<cfoutput>#variables.Column_Order#</cfoutput>

If it displays the list correctly, the problem is with your code. If not, dump the getColumns query and post the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the exact code that now works perfectly!!!! - Thank you so much - I was really stuck on trying to do the order in the order by clause of the query, which was totaly wrong - cool to have cfloop list do all of the ordering.

<body>

<cfquery name="getColumns" datasource=".........">
SELECT Column_Name
AND Table_Catalog = '......'
</cfquery>

<cfquery name="getData" datasource="........">
SELECT #ValueList(getColumns.Column_Name)#
FROM Fields
</cfquery>

<cfset variables.columnNames = ValueList(getColumns.Column_Name)>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<TR><CFOUTPUT QUERY="GetColumns">
<TD>#column_Name#</TD>
</CFOUTPUT></TR>
<tr><cfloop list="#variables.ColumnNames#" index="columnName">
<td>#getData[columnName][currentRow]#</td>
</cfloop>
</tr>
</cfoutput>

</table>

</body>
</html>

<cfheader
name="Content-Type"
value="application/ms-excel">

<cfheader
name="Content-Disposition"
value="attachment; filename=Report.xls">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it is the initial query that determines the order of the column names. I think MS SQL retrieves the names in ordinal position by default. By using #ValueList(getColumns.Column_Name)# you simply preserve that order. Though to guarantee the order, it is best to use an explicit order by clause.

Glad everything is working for you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy - 1 more quick question - is there an easy way to format the data. The excel sheet is not displaying dates as a date data type.

Is there a quick easy trick for doing this besides manually changing the excel table

I am going ot have users (with no computer experience) save the excel files, so I would prefer not to have them then have to format a few of the excel colums to dates

Thanks - you have been incredibly helpful - this is new territory for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the column data types to identify the date columns. When a date column is found, use CF's dateFormat function to format the value as desired. You can obtain the column data types using either CF's getMetadata function or from MS SQL.

Here is an example using MS SQL's data types. It checks for columns with a "datetime" type. Your table may contain other date types like small datetime. Modify as needed.

<cfquery name="getColumns" datasource="....">
SELECT Column_Name, Data_Type
FROM ....
</cfquery>

<!--- use arrays instead of lists for easier access --->
<cfset columnNames = listToArray(valueList(getColumns.Column_Name))>
<cfset columnTypes = listToArray(valueList(getColumns.Data_Type))>

<tr><cfloop from="1" to="#arrayLen(columnNames)#" index="x">
<td><!--- if this is a datetime column and the value is not null, format it --->
<cfif columnTypes is "datetime" and IsDate(getData[columnNames][currentRow])>
#DateFormat(getData[columnNames][currentRow], "mm/dd/yyyy")#
<cfelse>
#getData[columnNames][currentRow]#
</cfif>
</td>
</cfloop>
</tr>
</cfoutput>
</table>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You completely and thoroughly rock - that is very cool.

If you live in bay area and ever are looking for projects, let me know. Also, I will buy you a beer. This just saved ours of work for users and myself. Bless CF and belss you for taking the time to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You are welcome. I am not in that area at present, but one never knows. I may take you up on it someday.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation