• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to load library epub books on the kobo

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I borrowed a book from the library and it downloaded to my computer.  It appears in adobe digital editions but will not open on the kobo, it says: is is protected by Adobe digital rights management and is not currently authorized for use wiht your Adobe ID.  Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again.

I did this and authorized my computer and it still won't load.  I also just downloaded the newest version of Adobo Digital Editions.  Help please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to authorize the Kobo as well as ADE (Digital Editions).

If the kobo is an ereader (not tablet), menu/Help/Authorize Device to ADE while the kobo is plugged in.

If you borrowed a book before authorizing ADE you won't be able to read it, or return it.

You must wait for the loan to expire and it will return itself.

You should be able to read on ADE and the kobo any books you borrow after authorization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sjpt,

I am having the issue as ames 459 above.

I am also having trouble transferring library books from ADE on my computer to my Kobo ereader.  I installed ADE on my computer, authorized my computer and have an Adobe ID and successfully authorized my ereader and transferred epubs from the library to the Kobo.

This is what happened next. I changed computers and installed ADE on a second computer and things worked.  I have since gone back to my first computer which had an older version of ADE 2.0. This computer was still authorized with ADE. When I downloaded an EPUB from my public library the book successfully downloaded onto my computer in Adobe Digital Editions and I was able to open it up and read it in ADE on my computer. When I transferred the EPUB book in ADE to the ereader I received the following message on the ereader not on ADE:

Oops! This document couldn't be opened
This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again.

I didn’t know what to do so I uninstalled the ADE application and installed the lastest version 2.0. I also reinstalled my ereader desktop software. I deauthorized and reauthorized the Kobo (did this on the Kobo). Both the computer and ereader say that they are authorized.  I read on the forum that version 1.7.2 was better so I  have now resinstalled the older version but I am having the same error message (oops, this document couldn’t be opened).

I am not a very computer/technical savy and I don’t know what to do.

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tinut  Just checking ... when you installed ADE on the second computer, you did use the same Adobe ID that you had used on the first?  And so you didn't need to change the authorization on the Kobo?

What has probably happened is that the authrization on the old computer got confused.

That can happen when you uninstall and reinstall ~~~ it half remembers the old registration,

not enough to read books and transfer properly, but enough to claim to be authorized and to refuse to accept new authorizations.

Try completely deauthorizing and reauthorizing as below ...

~~~~~

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sjpt,

Thanks for that.  I am off to try your suggestion.

Yes I have used the same Adobe ID on the first and second computer.  I have a PC with windows XP (first computer). 

If I remove the authorization on ADE do I have to create an new Adobe ID, or just reauthorize it?

thanks

Tinu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just reauthorize with the old ID.

~~

It is almost never appropriate to create a new Adobe account/ID for DRM purposes.

Once a book is associated with a given ID it can never be transferred to a different ID.

For future reference, you can change the email address associated with an ID,

sign on at the Adobe website, and go to 'My Information' in a dropdown under your name.

That will not change the underlying account and the books that are tied to it.

Some devices will continue to show the old email for a time,

but any new access to the ID will now need to use the new email as identifier.

It is a good idea to do this if you change email, as passsword recovery is very awkward if the registered email is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sjpt,

I was so optimistic that things would work but I got the same message as I wrote below.

After your instructions this is what I did.

As a reminder, I previously uninstalled ADE 2.0 and reinstalled ADE 1.7 as recommended by Adobe forum members.

I have a PC with Windows XP.

On my old computer (computer 1) I successfully deauthorized ADE as per your instructions. I reauthorized and used my same email address that I have used before and a different password than I had originally used ( I changed my password a few weeks because ago I couldnt remember it).

I tried to download a book from the library and got the same Oops error message.  So I deauthorized and reauthorized the Kobo e-reader. 

My libraray ereader guide instructions say to download ADE version 2.0. Could this be an issue since I went back to ADE version 1.7?

Again thank you for your help. This cant be so complicated.

Tinut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cant be so complicated.  Unfortunately it can!  Adobe has taken something that was really important to make easy for even people completely unused to computers, and made it into something that is a nighmare even for computer experts.

Just checking,

• The problem is with a book newly downloaded from the library?
    Just to make sure, now things are in what ought to be a working state can you borrow and download another book
    and see if you can get that to the Kobo and read it.

If you downloaded the other book while you were in some sort of in-between state it could be that the other book is authorized in an odd way.

• You can read the books on ADE itself, and download them to the Kobo?
    The only thing that doesn't work is trying to read them on the Kobo once copied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having the same problem too, have been in touch with the library techs, Microsoft techs and no one seems to be able to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact error message you are getting

Thanks

Shreya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out?  I have been having this same problem.  It take me forever to download 1 book if ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please download the latest ADE 4.0.3.117585

http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

and try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was reading this thread hoping against hope to solve my problem even though it is a Nook Glowlight.  We got a new computer and I was trying to borrow a book from the library.  It prompted me to upgrade ADE, which I unfortunately did to 4.03 and there are no bookshelves and as soon as I closed the library book from the reading window it disappears.  I tried downloading twice with the same issue.  The forum is FULL of people with no bookshelves and disappearing books and I can't find an answer to any of them.  When I decide to hook up my Nook anyway, as soon as I did and then opened ADE, ADE crashed as soon as I tried to click on anything.  Not that there was anything to click on anyway since there are not shelves and it won't show me my library.  If I try to import it tells me it is already in my library.  If I created a bookshelf it starts with number 10, but anything I create disappears as soon as I reopen.  SOOOO, I reinstalled the old version and at least I can see bookshelves and my books, but I get it won't let me download the book, just like these KOBO people.  I deauthroized and reauthorized the device and still got nowhere.   This is WAY beyond frustrating.  On my old computer it was this hard to get ADE to recognize my new Nook - I had to reset and redownload over 900 books.  REALLLY?    Is there just no way for any of us to download library books any longer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines