• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message: "Adobe Flash Player failed to register"

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on a Windows XP SP3 system running IE8 and SeaMonkey (a Firefox derivative). I can update the NPAPI version of Flash Player with no problems, but when I try to manually update the Active-X version I have been getting this error message for months. If I leave the Player with the option to allow Adobe to install updates, it has eventually installed the update successfully several times after a manual update failed, but now my Active-X Player has been on version 17.0.0.188 for a long time and when I look at my Player settings I find the update option has changed from "Allow" to "Notify". I change it back to "Allow" but in a few days it goes back to "Notify".

I rarely use IE, but I would like to resolve this if possible.

(BTW, I plan to upgrade my OS to Windows 10 before the end of the year).

Thanks in advance,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Someone marked an earlier post as "Correct Answer", which makes this topic "resolved".  Easy to overlook...

Anyway, the MSI installer should get you past the "failed to register" error: https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_active_x.msi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnb3030‌,

Can you please use the offline installer for IE from Page - Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows‌

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work either. It gives the error message "The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnb3030‌,

I see this is a very specific issue which has been resolved over here --> Re: ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered - no solutions work‌, Can you please try solving the problem using the given steps and let me know.

Thanks

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution using subinacl uses a reset_fp10.cmd file which only covers

versions of Flash Player up to 10. I currently have version 17 installed

and I am trying to install version 18.

There is mention of using Process Monitor in

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/910774 which talks about editing the

permissions for the folder C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, but when

I right-click on that folder the properties popup does not include a

security section, even though I am on an account with admin privileges.

I think this may only work on Vista or later, not on XP which is what

I'm using. I have the sysinternals suite installed, but I'm not sure how

to use Process Monitor to find the problem.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone marked an earlier post as "Correct Answer", which makes this topic "resolved".  Easy to overlook...

Anyway, the MSI installer should get you past the "failed to register" error: https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_acti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you for posting the link to the .msi installer. I had looked for something like this on the Adobe site, but couldn't find it.

Adobe should put this on their site in a place that is easy to find!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it still does not work.  I'm very frustrated. is there no simple way to get around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mrose93,

Which reset_fp.bat file did you use?  Was it the one posted here How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?‌

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnb3030‌,

hmm, please follow pwillener‌'s advice and go ahead with the MSI installer. and check if it resolves your problem.

--

Piyush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This DID solve the problem!

For future reference, what is the link to an index of available files on this ftp server? I tried looking at higher levels in the tree, but none of them worked.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about these:

Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe

Adobe BLOCKS query's to the root to prevent making this easy on their ftp.. I tried in vain once time and just found a work around that just worked perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Macromedia FTP server cannot be accessed without a password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnb3030,

Where did you download the reset_fp10.cmd file from?  To my knowledge, that file (since renamed) is posted at Flash Player | Windows registry permissions and How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?.  We're updating that file with every major version increment.  If you downloaded it from some other location, please provide the URL.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is in this thread which was sent to me in a previous response:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4022475#4022475

I have resolved my problem by using the .msi download. Too bad it is not

easy to find!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnb3030,

Thank you for posting the link.  Unfortunately what is posted in threads will linger for eternity and eventually become stale.  But that thread (and the post with the link to the file) also contains the link to the KB article, which has the updated file.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines