• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Handling successive versions of the same help project in VSS

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand it correctly, RHX5 always gets the most-recent version of a version-controlled project from Visual SourceSafe. Sometimes, however, I may want to build an older, labeled version of the project. By using VSS directly, I think I would be able to check the old labeled version out to a working directory. But my concern is that if I tried to open the project in RH it will get confused and start checking out the latest version again. If so, can this be avoided?

Another way of asking the same question is this: Suppose I write a help system for Release 1 of my application, put it in VSS and label it accordingly. Then I start updating the project for Release 2. If it turns out I have to make some fixes to the Release 1 version, ignoring the changes that relate to work on Release 2, what's the best way of handling this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either maintain both versions in the same RH project with conditional tags, or copy V1 and name it V2. Then add V2 to VSS in a completely separate directory (or folder, or library, or whatever VSS calls them).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That noise you can hear is the sound of me kicking myself. Conditional tags. Of course! I was so fixated on the VSS thing that I overlooked the obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad to help you on the road to fixationless authoring!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp