• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2015 hangs everytime I access the file menu

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my macbook pro 15" retina mid 2014 running the latest OS 10.10.4 and on the previous 10.10.3, InDesign hangs for 1-2 minutes everytime I click the menubar and hovers over the File menu - and only on the file menu. It happened from one day to the other.

I sometimes use my mac in a dual screen setup, if that makes any difference... However the error is there, and I can not get rid of it...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

The latest Version CC 2015.2 fixed the file menu issue

Regards

Joerg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing preferences and restarting? BTW, how much RAM are you running?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 16 GB ram - I did trash the prefs and it fixed it temporarily - now the same thing just happened again.... Im also running FontExplorer Pro - is anybody else running this software and experiencing the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Michael - this time it seem not to fix the issue with the file menu deleting preferences ... may you can try to confirm what I postet as possible issue (see link above).

Joerg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If deleting preferences seems to help, then the problem comes back, that suggests you have system issues, or third party software which may be interfering.

Try creating a new user on your computer (which can usually eliminate those two variables), and launch InDesign from the new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I told above - it seem to be a bug which has to be fixed by Adobe ... same Problem seen on different Macs and different locations when a Document is in the former file list (at first!? in the file menu) which path is (now) a unmounted Server or VPN etc.

After deleting preferences you will run into the same issue using a Document laying on a Server which is unmounted the next time you try to use the file menu ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JThoerning - yes that is clearly a bug and adobe needs to fix it fast....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. it hangs when I hover over the FILE drop down, my short cuts work. but that does not help me. How can I fix this.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post ist declared as the right answer - unfortunately it is not the solution by getting rid off the preferences ... the next time working via VPN you run into the same issue!!

gsky (no 11) showed a workaround for now - but it really cut nervs when suddenly things dont work which should be basics (the same with the "Alias" bug, now you can't hold a Script folder as an alias from the Dropbox in CC2015 Script Folder - Subfolders etc. are not shown by now).

Regards

Joerg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this is the case here too - problems with the file menu after changing networks. I have separate servers at home and work - issue arise at work, not at home. Have changed recent items to 0 and trashed prefs, and the issue seems to be fixed (although, as you pointed out, this should be one of the basics).

My thanks to both you and gsky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is happening to me too and on top of that the file tab does not open at all. However, I am still able to use keyboard shortcuts to save, open and export etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same problem today. Indesign cc 2015 hangs for a while when hovering over the file menu.

Running a mbp 15" with maximum specs and osx Yosemite. However after some hours the problem disappeared and now it seems oké.

It has been the second annoying bug since the 2015 release of Indesign. Earlier this week I was forced to update to the latest OSX because of a unworkable slow performance of Indesign on Mavericks.

edit: on the spot JThoeming! The problem returns when disconnecting the network after opening files from a NAS drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem after opening files from a server today (maxed out late 2014 macbook pro). Working on a completely different network right now, and even after a reboot am unable to access the menu bar. Beach balls all around and costing me a lot of time (= work = money). This should be fixed asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and always caused by a change in the network environment – office vs. home. To constantly need to delete the settings, was unsatisfactory. Now I have set the number of recent files to be remembered to zero in the Indesign settings panel (mine is German). And guess, the file menu works again.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-14 um 00.16.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you @gsky that has fixed it for me.  Adobe, can you fix this in a future update please?  I have just updated to version 11.0.1.105 but it hasn't been sorted.  'Number of recent files' available is an option you only realise you use a lot when it's gone.  Right now, my priority is to get work done but it would be a nice feature to have fixed in a future update.

Thankyou!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed the problem for me. Massive pain, like others I have a MBP and work over two offices..

But changing the recent items in preferences to 0 seems to have fixed it. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, gsky and JThoeming. This seems to have fixed my file menu hangs for the moment. Previously I'd given up on CC 2015 and reverted to 2014 as I didn't have time to troubleshoot this issue. That is not an option for me now as the team have all upgraded. I was surprised to find this problem present again after only one day working on CC 2015 without issue. But I save work over a VPN, so the Number of Recent Items to Display will only have kicked in today; hence endlessly spinning cursor over file menu. Thanks again. Adobe, listen up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me! Thank you very much.

Sad to miss out on the recent documents menu now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gsky. Adobe, step up plz. Big fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to gsky and no thanks to Adobe. :-s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Fixed my iMac just before I threw it out of the window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Worked for me on my iMac 5K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines