• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

transparent gif from flash

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export these gifs with transparency and I am still getting the background with transparency selected in publish settings. Does anyone know a way to remove the background and just have a transparent gif?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

I just found a method so you can export your Flash movie as an animated gif with transparency.What I have done is create a folder and then export as a png sequence. Then you go into Abobe Bridge select all the png images in your folder under Bridge select Photoshop>Tools>Load files into Layers. Once you are back in Photoshop view the Timeline dialog box, pull down the arrow on upper right hand corner and Make Frames from Layers. If you like at this point you can Select All Frames in the pull dow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use the anmiated playback option (even though you're not animating anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is an animated .gif. of about 1 sec of animation with a stop action at the end so I am using the animated playback option with a repeat of 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then what's the problem?  (just set transparent to anything but opaque in the properties panel.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is if I change my flash background to something other than white and check the gif in a browser the black background shows. I want this animation to have a transparent background like swfs can do for banners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you setting the transparent property on your gif publish-properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad, did you try it yourself? If you are still trying to export gif via File -> Export Image... It doesn't work even if you set the transparency to CHECKED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep changed it to green and the green shows up on the last frame animation. That's just freakin annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a bug to me.

1) Try changing number of frames.

- if you add frames, do more frames became non-transparent?

- if you remove frames, will the non-transparent frame go away?

2) Is there something special about the last frame? Blending modes, filters, ...

3) If the affected frame is always the last one no matter the framecount, add one blank frame more and then remove it in some GIF-editing software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways of saving GIF:

1) File -> Export -> GIF -> Transparent: true

- exports with opaque background, I don't know why but it does

2) Publish settings -> OTHER FORMATS -> GIF Image -> COLORS -> Transparent: Alpha (default Opaque)

- publish the movie and you get transparent GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Peter I tried your alpha trick and it does seem to hide the background except for the very last frame does not show transparent. It shows the black background. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it's the background color? Isn't it some forgotten artwork? Change background color to whatever (except black ) and try again. I can't reproduce this one, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the file settings do nothing.  it's the publish settings that should be used.

you have it right.  nerdy syntax does not.

this pretty well explains it:

2) Publish settings -> OTHER FORMATS -> GIF Image -> COLORS -> Transparent: (ANYTHING BUT OPAQUE WILL WORK)

- publish the movie and you get transparent GIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kglad I do? I looked at the setting peter linked and I have then exactly the same. What is OTHER FORMATS? In publish settings I check GIF and set transparency to transparent or opaque as Peter described. ALSO I dont have the option for COLORS. Do you mean max colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COLORS is just an expanding button in Publish settings, see the picture I attached earlier. By default, it's collapsed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea you must be using cs5.5. I don't have an expanded option in cs5. Just has all the same options when you click on GIF. And yea I added an extra frame with a blank keyframe but the stop action is a frame before it and when I check the gif everything disappears. Looks as if the stop action means nothing since it repeats just once. I think something is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, GIF export ignores all the ActionScript. What do you mean "everything dissapears"? Like the output is blank GIF or the last frame of GIF is blank? In latter case, ins't the last frame blank? Can you share the *.fla file? Looks like a looong conversation ahead of us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't use actionscript of any kind in an animated gif.  you can only use the gif panel in the publish settings to control its behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea took the actionscript out. Still doesn't explain the problems. To Peter, I added the blank frame but I dont know gif editing software so thats why it was showing everything disappearing now that I notice that actionscript doesn't work. So yea I'm clueless. I can't show you the files because they are the client. Later on I will create something and I will continue this thread with the added .fla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And set Publish Settings -> GIF -> COLORS -> Transparent: Alpha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a method so you can export your Flash movie as an animated gif with transparency.What I have done is create a folder and then export as a png sequence. Then you go into Abobe Bridge select all the png images in your folder under Bridge select Photoshop>Tools>Load files into Layers. Once you are back in Photoshop view the Timeline dialog box, pull down the arrow on upper right hand corner and Make Frames from Layers. If you like at this point you can Select All Frames in the pull down arrow in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box. Then select one frame for the duration of frame, which will set all the frames to this durarion. Then choose the number of times you want it to repeat. Once you have it like you want simply Save for Web and then in the Save for Web dialog box choose gif. Now you'll have your animated gif with transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks rafhicks, your solution worked for me using cc 2015!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flash was once leading technology, way ahead of HTML+CSS and it degraded so much that SWF's are replaced with animated GIFs these days. But it degraded even further - it cant even export animated gif with transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same question.... I can't believe how can a software become worse this way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines