Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Outlines greyed out when using a certain font

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

I am creating a layout in Illustrator 13.0.2 on a Mac and trying to use the Eurostile font I purchased at the Adobe font store. When using this font "Create Outlines" is greyed out and nothing I've tried has changed this. However, when I change the font "Create Outlines" returns to a viable selection. This leads me to believe the problem lies with the font. Embedding for this font is listed as "Preview & Print" at the Adobe store - it would seem this should be sufficient. I'm certainly no Illustrator expert but there isn't anything unusual about this document. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

I found that in Illustrator CC 2014 that if I click on the desired text using the direct selection tool arrow that in fact the create outline goes from greyed out back to working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would trash the preferences and deactivate the font remove the font then reinstall and then activate the font again.

I have Eurostyle  and it works fine in this regard on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2010 Jan 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conversion should always work, regardless of what the font copyright bits are set to. To me it seems that somehow you are being presented with a cached version that does not contain the native contours. Operating systems do that to optimize on-screen performance e.g. for system fonts or in office applications. Trashing the prefs is a good place, though and while you're at it, the AdobeFnt.lst files everywhere on your drive make good candidates, too.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone else has this problem - one simple possibility is that if you use the "edit envelope" options (button looks like a wavy grid - used to add an arc to the text, etc.), make sure to click back on the "edit contents" option (button looks like a curvy star - has stroke, brush, & opacity options) or Create Outlines will be greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That was precisely my issue & I could not figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Thnx!! It worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the edit envelope button? Cannot locate in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-16 um 11.26.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that in Illustrator CC 2014 that if I click on the desired text using the direct selection tool arrow that in fact the create outline goes from greyed out back to working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this suggestion--it worked great!  Everything thing else suggested seemed beyond my comfort level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! thanks so much that helped me out -finally!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This suggestion saved my workflow today.  Thank you. It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Killer Tip!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked brilliantly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, gold star for you in my book, thanks!

The standard Adobe solution seems to be first replace the computer, then the room it is in, and if that fails the power plant supplying the electricity. If that fails the sun should be replaced, or at least hard rebooted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahahahahaha! This didn't work for me, but your response is hilarious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i signed in to just leave a comment for your simple yet effective advice. I am so so thankfulllllllllllll, it worked out for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saved the day-- Thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines