• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script error when trying to install Flash Player 18.

Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a script error when trying to install Flash Player 18. The error box says "Script error   line 202    Char 13  Unable to set property 'innerHTML' of undefined or null references   code 0   URL C://.../Downloads/flashplayer18ax_ra_install.exe/160" and "undefined" is on the installer screen after I close the error box.  I am using a Dell Inspiron, IE 11.0.9600.17843, Windows 7 Home Premium Svc Pack 1.

I get this same error box no matter which installer I use for Flash Player 18.  The error box shows up immediately after I start the installer.  I successfully reinstalled flash player 17 two days ago with no problem, but of course Flash Player 17 won't run now on web sites.  I ran the Adobe flash player Uninstaller a couple times in between tries - same result, same script error box.  I have lost count of how many times I have tried to install it and my fingers are getting raw...

About the same time the error box shows up or a second or so later, my Norton Insight pops up a box that says that Norton doesn’t have enough information about this program (the installer, I suppose), to recommend this program, but I don’t think this is preventing the installer from running.  Or maybe it is?

This problem seems to be coming from the Flash Player installer, but I see nothing from Adobe about it.  I have tried running it as Administrator, I have disabled various parts of Norton to see if that is where this error is coming from - I have searched for hours on the internet, and I can't find answers.  I have never had a problem updating Flash Player until now.  Can anyone figure this out or point me in the right direction?   Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Hi all,

The online installer team has investigated this further and identified the DPI setting as the culprit.  If the DPI setting is not set to 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% the script error will return.  If you're DPI setting is set to something else, please set it to one of these and the online installer should work.  The team is working on a fix for this.

To check/modify the DPI setting:

1. Launch Control Panel and navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
  2. In the left menu, select Set c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, see my post - Cannot install latest flash - 18.0.0.203

Try setting for automatic download in control panel and wait. Took my system about one hour to correctly update, whilst I was doing other things and was in and out of IE and FF browsers.

I think there is a problem with the 64 bit installer as the manual download installed on my 32 bit system correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred950‌,

1) ALL flash processes, child apps and apps that use flash must be closed

2) It is recommended that you uninstall before re-installing using the uninstaller as I have posted here.

3) 32 bit installers will work on 64 bit system, but not vise-versa

The recommended steps I suggested are the way i install flash every single time and I never have any issues. I only see the vast majority of the problems when people use that online installer, and/or flash processes are not fully closed.

I use a fully scripted way to do literally everything from uninstalling, killing processes, cleaning up leftover files, and re-installing using the offline installers, and it is nearly flawless. the only time it is not is when I find a new flash related process, and that is fairly rare.

Those are the majority of the steps I am sharing with everyone like in my above post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, and glad that works for you.

All I was saying, installing from the manual download did not work for me. This is the first time I can remember it failing. Anything Flash was closed, I always check that.

Probably incorrectly worded but what I meant was it installed OK on my 32 bit system, as it always has, but would not install on my 64 bit system.

All I did was change to automatic update and it did install, and worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was alot of script errors people were complaining about, auto updates could have just bypassed going to that adobe page to get them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, both on my computer, as well as on my girlfriends. Scripterror. I tried uninstalling and re-installing directly from the Adobe website. No succes. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willem Wiersma wrote:

Any suggestions?

Why not use the suggestions already given in this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred950

Regarding:

I think there is a problem with the 64 bit installer as the manual download installed on my 32 bit system correctly.

There is only one installer that works on both 32- and 64-bit operating systems.  If the online installer is not working on your 64-bit OS, please provide the log files as per my previous post.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred950

Regarding:

There is only one installer that works on both 32- and 64-bit operating systems.  If the online installer is not working on your 64-bit OS, please provide the log files as per my previous post.

Thank you.

-----

I'd already explained what I meant by that above.

"Probably incorrectly worded but what I meant was it installed OK on my 32 bit system, as it always has, but would not install on my 64 bit system."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To those of you getting the scripting error, I'd like to get the online installer log files from you to investigate the issue further.  I've seen a few of these posts, but have not been able to get log files from users so that we can investigate.  If you have a few minutes, please do the following:

1. Download the online installer from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
  2. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory.  The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else.
      • Vista and above: C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\
      • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\
    • To create the empty text file, navigate to the %temp% directory, right-click in an empty area and select New > Text Document
    • Rename the new file to ADM.trace
  3. Run the online installer again until the error is returned.
  4. Two files, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log will be generated.  The files are located at the following location:
    • Vista and above: C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
    • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
  • Upload the files using the How to share a document instructions
  • Post the following information in your reply:
    • URL to the uploaded log files
    • Operating system, including version

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to upload the new flash player with the update--I get the same Line 202 error.  Here's the link to the two files.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

My OS is Windows 8 updated to 8.1

Hope I got this right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BarbLynn,

Thank you for providing the log file.  Are you by chance using a proxy server?  Is this a 32- or 64-bit system?

@Fred950,

Sorry, I misunderstood.  If you have a few minutes, I'd like to get the online installer log files from your 64-bit OS system.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@m_Vargas

As far as I know it's a 64 bit (it's a laptop).  I had to look up what a proxy server was, and nope, not one of those. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BarbLynn,

Thank you for the additional information

@annetteb65548337

Thank you for the log file

--

In the interim, please follow the instructions in post 1 above to install Flash Player using the offline installer.  If you're on Windows 8 and use Internet Explorer, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in Internet Explorer and updates are distributed via Windows Update. Please run Windows Update to get the latest version.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the location the 1st poster to respond to the OP suggested, went to the bottom of the page to the Firefox NPAPI download, and was able to then finally download the updated version of Flash.

@M_Vargas, thank you for your help +

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The offline installer worked just fine.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Chris8923, and a few others in this forum, when installing Flash Player.

My OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. No Proxy-server.

Here's the link to my uploaded log files:

Delade filer - Acrobat.com

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

No Proxy Server

64-bit system

Files located here: https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/833ebc89-7695-4ca6-a908-332e7a9b91d7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 PC

Gedeelde bestanden - Acrobat.com

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Installed the offline versions (AX and NPAPI) flash 18.0.209 without a problem on the PC

(The online updates worked fine on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 Laptop.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your directions for the installation scrip error I'm also seeing in the last few weeks. The uploaded files are at: Shared Files - Acrobat.com. Looking for a solution.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris8923,

Can you try the latest installer from get.adobe.com/flashplayer and try.

-Anindya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled v.17, downloaded the full .msi file of v.18 and installed. All working perfectly. The issue appears to be with the online installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The online installer team has investigated this further and identified the DPI setting as the culprit.  If the DPI setting is not set to 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% the script error will return.  If you're DPI setting is set to something else, please set it to one of these and the online installer should work.  The team is working on a fix for this.

To check/modify the DPI setting:

1. Launch Control Panel and navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
  2. In the left menu, select Set custom text size (DPI)
  3. In the Custom DPI Setting windows select 100%, 125%, 150%, or 200% from the drop down menu
  4. Select OK
  5. Select Apply
  6. Log off/on
  7. Online installer should now work without displaying the script error.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem on my system.

System was and will be set again to 114%,

After changing it as you suggested the online installer (18.0.0.209) worked again.

Nice find. Hope you can fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines