• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse tree and Glossary not displaying on some pc's.

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generate my chm-file, test it and it works perfectly. When I try it on another computer, neither the browse tree nor the glossary content is displayed.

Is there a setting somewhere which hide it or something? Please help.

Ras

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 02, 2007 Nov 02, 2007
Hi Ras. It is not purely enough to copy the file onto the end user's PC. The file has to be registered as well. The file is included as part of most Windows installs but if it isn't how to manually register is is found here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ras. The glossary and browse sequences in CHM files use a file called HHACTIVEX.DLL. This is a freely distributable file that must be installed and registered on the end users PC for these elements of the help file to work. If you search for this file on your PC you can ship it to your users. You may want to have a word with your developers to get the file included as part of the application's Install Shield process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum for the speedy reply.

I found the file and copied it to the other pc to the windows folder, system folder and system 32 folder. Where else must I copy it to? Or am I totally on the wrong track? Is there security settings somewhere that needs to be changed or something like that?

Ras

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ras. It is not purely enough to copy the file onto the end user's PC. The file has to be registered as well. The file is included as part of most Windows installs but if it isn't how to manually register is is found here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum you beauty, worked perfectly thanks.

Regards from Sunny South Africa.

Ras

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know how to make me feel depressed Ras. Greetings from a rather dull Guildford, UK. Off to Aberdeen, Scotland this evening for two days cold rain! Glad it all worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading the introduction to this post I thought my quest was over! However, I am not so certain after reading all text. I am experiencing half of the described problem, i.e. I cannot display the Glossary content on some computers. Are there other files that are required for this to work properly?

Best regards,
Lars S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Lars. As long as the HHACTIVEX.DLL file is installed and registered on all PCs the glossary should work. Is there any commonality between the PCs that don't run the help file correctly (e.g. OS)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the info. We registered the HHACTIVEX.DLL file on the computers that did not show the Glossary correctly, and lo and behold, there the Glossasy was! That particular file, is it free to distribute through our installation application?

/Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp