• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I delete old media cache files?

Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I bought my latest PC, I had a solid state hard drive installed as my C Drive. It is only 128 Gb, but I figure it would be sufficient, since I would only use it to store programs, and no data. That is essentially what I have done.

However, in just a few short months, the free space has shrunk to about 10 Gb, and continues to shrink daily. By far the largest largest folder is

....appdata/roaming/adobe/common/media cache files/ which is about 39 Gb. THey are basically .cfa files from old and newer projects.

Can I delete these files when I am no longer actively working on the PRE 11 project?

A second question - If I uninstall/re-install PRE 11 onto a different internal drive (which I have started to do with other programs), will this folder follow it, or will the Media Cache folder still be on the C Drive?

Is there a better strategy for conserving and recovering my C Drive space?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Media Cache files can be Deleted. If PrE finds that it needs them again, they will be automatically regenerated.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean I can just delete all of these files and if I accidentally delete some that I still need they will just be regenerated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brandond

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Conformed audio files are found in the Media Cache Files Folder in the Adobe Folder (Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\X.

These files can be deleted. But, they will generated again automatically when and if the program decides it needs them. If the Media Cache Files Folder is not in the path cited, then check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to see where it is pointed.

Conformed video files are managed via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area and Clean button. The actual path to the Media Cache Folder with these conformed video files (mcdb) is shown in that area. You can delete these files. But, they will re generated again when and if the program decides it needs them.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information. If any questions or need clarification on the matter, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro CS6 on a Mac OSX, does your answer mean that I can delete all of them without worrying about needing one later, because they will just be regenerated if I use that file again? This is taking up over 100 GB on my hard drive so I dont want to sort through it, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brandond

The reply that I posted to you was with the assumption that you were a Premiere Elements user.

You have posted your question in the Premiere Elements Forum in an old (2 year old) thread.

If your program is Premiere Pro CS6 on Mac, please post your question(s) in the Premiere Pro Forum for the expertise there.

Premiere Pro

I do not use Premiere Pro, so I can only assume that the scratch disk situation that I described for Premiere Elements is "probably" the same as for Premiere Pro.

The Premiere Pro users in the Premiere Pro forum will know for sure.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brandond70641808 wrote:

I am using Premiere Pro CS6 on a Mac OSX, does your answer mean that I can delete all of them without worrying about needing one later, because they will just be regenerated if I use that file again?

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure if this question belongs here but it is a similar issue—I'm on a Mac, have PP & AE installed but have not used them yet.

Nonetheless, there is a copy of every single video that I  download from my digital camera, with the ending .cfs in the name. These are not Adobe projects. They land in the folder: /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Media Cache Files/IMG_1310.MOV 44100.cfa

Is there a setting that controls this? Every article I read on the MediaCache talks about the project files but I can't find any mention of non-Adobe files being in there.

Any help much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines