Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"width tool" and paintbrush strokes???

Contributor ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Folks,

I drew a cured line with the brush tool in illustrator CS5, but when I select the new "width tool" to change the width, it doesn't work.

What am I missing?

Here are my steps:

1. Select the paintbrush tool

2. Draw something

3. Select the "width tool"

4. Try to change the width but it won't work.

Since I draw with the paintbrush tool, the "width tool" can be very handy if I can get it to work.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

I guess you used a calligraphy brush. The width tool only works with nromal strokes, art brushes and pattern brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

I had the exact same problem. What i did was select the lines you would like to edit with the Width Tool and in the Brushes panel select the "Remove Brush Stroke" toggle, it looks like the Paintbrush tool toggle with a line through it. Then go ahead and edit with the Width tool.

Hope that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you used a calligraphy brush. The width tool only works with nromal strokes, art brushes and pattern brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm what Monika wrote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And be aware, when editing the pattern brush, width edits will be lost on all paths using that pattern. You'll need to SAVE your custom width profiles and re-assign them after editing the brush. This is NOT a good thing. Hope it is corrected in future updates.

I have also found using the width tool with pattern brushes causes AI to quit unexpectedly quite frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outrage!

This was the first thing I tried when I installed the software. Took 30mins tracing some custom script. Then chose the Width Tool to edit and then BAM 20mins of looking it up to make sure there wasn't some workaround to make it happen.

guess I didn't have the forsight for this one

really should be an option. or it would really be one that we would appreciate rather. ❤️ adobe team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I am hoping for future enhancements of these tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem. What i did was select the lines you would like to edit with the Width Tool and in the Brushes panel select the "Remove Brush Stroke" toggle, it looks like the Paintbrush tool toggle with a line through it. Then go ahead and edit with the Width tool.

Hope that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Saved me an absolute headache. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're a lifesaver 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of illustrator users around the world... let me ask, We need a way to edit the width of lines.. no matter what tool they were drawn in. At least give us a way to convert brush paths to fixed width lines...  This is one of those situations where a tool is not completely baked... and while being able to edit the width of some lines is better than nothing, still very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DS WildOutWest schrieb:

At least give us a way to convert brush paths to fixed width lines...

I don't see the problem. This is possible using the brushes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to brushes palette and select basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines