• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot update flash player

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows XP, Firefox 39, desktop PC. I also cannot update to the latest flash player (18.00.209) after MANY attempts. Installation stops at around 50% and then it says "Installation Failed". I've tried downloading from different sites, have disabled virus protection, closed browser windows etc.. and getting the same results every time. Installation will NOT complete; therefore, I'm stuck with the vulnerable 18.00.203 vs., which Firefox has disabled unless I allow it. I'm very uncomfortable allowing my 18.00.203 flash player with security issues; however, many sites I visit use flash. I see on this forum, people who are experiencing the same problems updating; therefore, it must be a problem on Adobe's end. I am so frustrated and would appreciate any help. I feel as though I've been in a circle of hell with install directions, all of which I've followed carefully. I'm typically brought to the same install troubleshooting pages over and over again yet no resolution. This is my first time here so, maybe someone will offer a solution. Please!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Finally, success in updating Flash - a complete accident, but I'll take it! First, I checked for malware/viruses....no problems. Then - and this is what seemed to have done it - I rebooted my computer (typically I leave it on all the time). As soon as it booted up, I went to FF to "check for plug-in updates" and saw that Adobe Flash was miraculously updated!!! I went to some flash pages, everything is working. At no time during the previous installation attempts was I notified to re-boot. The in

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.) I had the same issue with updating Flash Player and what I did was to uninstall it entirely and install it again.

2.) I strongly recommend you move on to Windows 8.1 or, at least, Windows 7.

3.) To post this short forum message I had to create an Adobe account. I assure you (Adobe) many people would answer this question if creating yet another account was not mandatory.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion on just uninstalling Flash Player, then reinstalling from new. I read a couple of posts on this forum where people have done that, but couldn't re-install so ended up with NO flash player. (I do know, for security purposes alone, I should upgrade from XP but have heard nothing positive about Windows versions since XP). With so many people here having flash update problems, I'm hoping Adobe will identify and FIX what the problem is with this particular update. I've never experienced update flash problems before now and am disappointed there's been no fix or response from them that I've seen.

Thanks for taking the time to create an account and try to help. I also had to create an account just to ask the question! I'm not forum savvy so hopefully will be at least responding correctly. Will try to update flash again today but I'm getting same results EVERY time no matter where I download installation from. Installation starts but will not complete. No instructions other than "Installation Failed" (usually at around 50%) and all "troubleshoot" suggestions have been tried and failed.

Appreciate your feedback.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember (I don't pay attention to it anymore) what you download from Adobe is not the actual Flash Player but a piece of software that allows you to download the real setup file and the first 50% of the progess bar represents this process. The real installation starts at 50%. So it seems that you cannot even begin to write Flash Player's data to the disk. Reasons? No administrative rights to write to that area (folder). I assume, however, that you did not forget to run the software as an administrator. What else? Maybe the folder is set to read-only (for whatever reason). Since you are running software that doesn't receive security updates (Windows XP) it may as well be malware which doesn't allow you to update Flash. I know from experience that certain malware can block the updating process of certain applications. In other words, once again , I suggest switching to a more recent Windows.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phearnomore‌

I work in a cooperate environment and seen two occasions in the past two months where for example I would update java per say and watch it literally get 'uninstalled' right after getting installed in the control panel. Now if it really got uninstalled, I don't know. On both cases I ran a malware scan using a 3rd party tool and found a few items, and  removed them and tried again .. success. I know it was Java and not flash, but my point being that it happened with Java, it can happen with Flash

My 2 cents

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought. Throughout my computer/Internet experience I've used the following Windows systems: 3.11, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and finally 8.1. With full responsibility I can say that Windows 7 is "the next" Windows XP. Even Microsoft admits it by allowing Windows 7 users to update to Windows 10 for free (offer available during the first year after 10 is released). They know many, many people already consider it to be a worthy XP successor and they obviously don't want that . Also, if you disable all tile-releated features, Windows 8(.1) is as usable as the 7. You seem to be a security-conscious person and as such should really consider moving on.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, success in updating Flash - a complete accident, but I'll take it! First, I checked for malware/viruses....no problems. Then - and this is what seemed to have done it - I rebooted my computer (typically I leave it on all the time). As soon as it booted up, I went to FF to "check for plug-in updates" and saw that Adobe Flash was miraculously updated!!! I went to some flash pages, everything is working. At no time during the previous installation attempts was I notified to re-boot. The installation process simply stopped at 50% then said "Failed" (no reason). I'm still not sure why one of the "failed" installations took after a reboot but that's what must have happened because I did not attempt another installation after rebooting - there was no need.

Anyway, thank you so much for your suggestions and admonitions about updating to at least Windows 7. I am in need of a new computer so didn't want to mess around with this one (7 yrs. old) just get new one and keep this as off-line storage and photo processing. This is a custom-made computer, the best I've owned, and the most stable with my XP. Yes, I know it's time to say goodbye to the old stuff. The little computer shop that built this won't even install Win 8 unless customers insist - they install 7 as it's more user friendly and stable according to them. So you see, it's difficult to rip XP users away to bad Windows platforms. Maybe they'll have learned something by Win 10 - I'm even considering Apple because of the terrible browsers Windows has forced upon us. I don't mind change, if it's good change.

Meanwhile, I'M OVERJOYED to finally have an updated flash player, at least. I did comply with their System requirements, so it wasn't my XP that was the issue, as that's supported with the new flash. I'm truly grateful for the wonderful offers of help in this forum. Will try to suggest the reboot to others as a possible fix.

Sincerely,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donnah49391133,

We are aware that the online installer (the shim installer downloaded from get.adobe.com/flashplayer) fails on some XP systems.  One alternative is to use the offline (full standalone) installer, posted at the bottom of th Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows page (as Andy posted in post #2).  Another alternative is to opt into Background Updates (option 'Allow Adobe to Install Updates' when you're installing Flash Player) and this will update Flash Player silently in the background.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I did try to update from the stand alone flash installer from the site you referred to as well as another site but these updates did not work either. In the process of all the update attempts, I did check the "allow Adobe to install updates" (from "notify me of updates") so perhaps in the future there will be no problem. What finally allowed the update to "take" was rebooting my computer. As soon as it booted up I was going to attempt another flash update but found it had updated with the reboot. Ta dah!

Thank you for getting back to me. All seems to be well now so perhaps I should mark this discussion as "answered".

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donnah49391133,

Was there an error when you tried using the standalone installer?  If so, do you recall what it was?

I can take a look at your FlashInstall.log file and try to determine what the issue was.  If you have a few minutes, please upload the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash using the instructions How to share a document‌.  If this is a 64-bit OS, there's another FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash which I'll need as well.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I tried to reply to your private email and it gave me some error so I'm hoping this reply works. As you requested, here's a link to my log file. Shared Files - Acrobat.com I'm hoping it will help you discover what went wrong and many help someone else. Thanks for sending upload instructions...have never been in the cloud before. Do I just float up there indefinitely? 🙂

Regards,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more thing. There were a couple of times I downloaded the installer and could see it was only part of the file. I always deleted those so can't give you the file ext. except it was a .exe PART file (something like that). These I'd get from the stand alone sites I believe. I made so many installation attempts I can't remember. If I got a complete download file from anywhere, and tried to run it, it would always go to about 50% on the install bar, stop, and say "Installation Failed". Nothing further except the links to troubleshooting the installation (none of which helped).

Thanks,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donna.

You may have tried this already. Click on the following Adobe link. Go down to the bottom of the page where it says, "Still having problems?". Click on the link for Firefox.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

If that does not work, Adobe Staff people usually respond to problems listed on this forum during the week. I am sure they will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

I have been there done that (troubleshoot windows) many times!! Update still fails. I've been working on this for several days - will try again today....maybe they've fixed something. Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines