Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need tips for printed single-source output

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a Help project that is constructed to publish (via single source) to three separate Help systems and a Printed manual. The printed output from my Help source is incredibly un-refined, and it appears, at first glance, that the post-processing time it will take to prepare the manual for publication is not worth the effort - nor will it fit within my current deadline. Does anyone know of an easy, quick way to work with printed output to make it presentable? Secondly, does anyone know of a third party utility that would allow me to convert the output to FrameMaker files (.fm)?

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Todd Richardson
RH7 | Win XP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the printed output differing from your online help?

What option do you select in the last page of the wizard? (Use CSS or Use a Word template). If the latter, what template?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2008 Jan 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

The printed output will likely contain the same content as the online Help - though I'll need to add a few book-only elements, such as copyright information. I will also need to 'hide' all DHTML (I don't want expanding text to appear in the printed manual), and will need to hide most snippets, which I use in just about every topic - something that will be an annoyance, visually and with flow, to a user reading the printed output. I assume I can do this through conditional text.

As for the template, I have not decided which option to use. What do you recommend, and which, generally speaking will work best? If I point to a Word template, will I have to match the style names in that template to the style names in my Help template?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the topics that you only want in the printed version, I suggest you create a tag such as Print Only and exclude those topics when you generate the online help.

For the dropdowns, the Advanced button has an option to exclude them.

For the rest, see the topic on my site about Printed Documentation.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Peter. I was not aware of the option(s) regarding dHTML elements in output to printed doc. Those will prove helpful.

I will review the info on your site as well.

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp