Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Empty Pages while Reload in RoboHelp7

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2008 Jan 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone!
I need urgent help with HTML RoboHelp7 on a Windows XP machine.

If I reopen a HTML page inside a RoboHelp7 project, the page is empty and the HTML source contains only the standard header. Physicially the page and the old content is inside (I can see it with IE7) until I save the file from RoboHelp7 again. Then everything of the old contents is lost.

At first I thought it was an error of files of the earlier version of RH. But then I noticed that also RH7 own files no longer displays. The files contain only some text, a table and a DHTML popup. In my latest tests, all with RH7 created to be sure. It looks as RH7 do not understand his own code.

Does anybody has a hint for me ?

Thank you for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I pasted the code into a RH7 project and see what you mean. Paste it in, switch to design and back to HTML and nearly all the code has gone!

Can I double check this code was written using RH7 rather than being an upgraded topic?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, this code was new created by RH7. Well, the whole project was imported from an old version. Could be version 3 or 4. I wont belief, that RH7 can't handle the code of former versions. To be sure I created the same page again in this way: From IE7 in view mode (not source text) I copied the plain text into a new empty RH7-HTML file in design mode. The tables and DHTML-Popup was totally new created. Even the properties of text are new. At first, everything looks fine until I reopen the project and file. Then, RH7 creates an empty file again. If I try to import the file via the import function of RH7, I got the message 'invalid HTML file'. Well it’s strange message, because it was made by the same software.
Greetings,
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not suggesting RH7 cannot handle code from earlier versions, just wanting to know if any upgrade issues could be having a bearing.

My thinking is this is something to do with either what you are copying or how. If I am to replicate this problem, what is it you are viewing in IE7? Please send me a link or the file (via my site) with specific instructions about what section and so on.

Before you do that though please try recreating this topic in stages. First just adding the text. Does it break then? Next add the tables, does it break then? Finally the dropdown.

I cannot see this topic in Design view. You created it by pasting in text from IE and then editing. But how are you now getting back to the code?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

I sent you a mail with the files via your web site.

You raise a very good question! I think I saved it from time to time while I edit the site. After the last changes and saving, I closed the page and I tried to reopen it. The design mode shows me an empty page, but the code was still in the file. So I can save it in a copy, but I can't touch it again with RH7.

Thank you!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

If I delete this line with notepad I can recall my file, but the content of popup will be at the top of the page.

<div class=x-popup-text id=POPUP190116872 style='display: none; position: absolute' >

Maybe it helps to handle the file.

I found also, if I copy the second table back to the popup, RH7 delete the page again.
It looks like, RH7 don't likes tables inside the popups.

cu@bbs

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That'll be because that is what hides it.

I'll look later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold on. Looks like we are talking about text popups. I don't think they support anything but pure text, not even formatting.

Links to other topics that display as a popup are a different thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. First to avoid any confusion what you are trying to create is a dropdown, not a text popup. Two very different things.

Here's where it gets baffling. If I lift the code for the table from the dropdown and put it in a new topic, it works OK. Thus the code is valid.

If I put some simple text in the dropdown, it works OK. So the dropdown is good.

It is only the combination that fails for reasons I cannot yet fathom.

I have to cry off for tonight but I will look again asap, although my access wil be intermittent for a few days.

Can I send this project on to an Adobe contact please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2008 Jan 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

Thank you for your help! Sorry for that misunderstanding. Yes, it’s a DHTML DropDown, not a simple text popup. Sorry! Anyway, you can forward the project to Adobe, it’s just a sample project. (Thank you asking for!) If it will helpful, I can send also the complete same HTML-site made by the old version of RH. The site you have is the new creation until the problem occurs.

Thank you!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same problem. I converted a project from RH5 and noticed that some topics were blank. I recreated the topics from scratch and the problems were repeated. The odd thing is that even though the Design window and the HTML shows nothing, if I preview it the content is there. It definitely appears to have something to do with DHTML drop-downs.

Donal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donal

Thanks for the me too. It helps highlight this is not a one off.

Michael has sent me a project with one topic that demonstrates the problem. I would welcome the same from you with permission to forward it to Adobe.

If you could send me the same topic from X5 as well, that might be useful.

You can contact me via my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

As background information, the origin project was created around 3 years ago from my colleagues in other countries. Now the project swaps to our market. My colleagues are still working with RH-3, so they do not see the problem. I did some test with trial versions 5 and 6.I saw the same. At this time I believed, it comes from the trial versions, like a file size or quantity limitation. The project is a very huge one. Finally I bought version 7 from my s/w dealer. My problem was, only version 7 is available as licensed version today. Version 3 or 4 it must work correctly, because the source comes from it.

Thank you Donal for the test!

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saw the same as you see in RH7 or the same as your colleagues see in X3? That is, it does or does not work correctly in X5 and RH6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

yes, the same as RH-7. It looks like, that V5 and V6 had the same problem, but I assumed it comes from the trial versions.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I created a new project in RH5, imported 4 topics from a copy I made of the original project before converting to RH7, the topics included two that were fine in the previous RH5 to RH7 conversion and two that were causing a problem. I created a copy of this project and converted to RH7 – the problem was reproduced (which is relieving as it narrows the problem).

Peter - I have zipped both projects and emailed them to you.

Thanks again,
Donal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2008 Jan 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Donal.

I've sent Michael's project and I will send yours just as soon as I have looked at that myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My writing team is also experiencing this problem. It's happened on at least four occasions in different projects. There does seem to be a DHTML drop-down common thread. In November, we upgraded from X5 to the Technical Communication Suite. We had to convert several X5 projects, and three of the projects had at least one topic that was stripped of content (except for the header information). At the time, I suspected that RoboHelp 7 was choking on DHTML code it couldn't properly interpret, but we managed to recreate the topics without DHTML and move forward.

Today, a writer came to me with the same problem with a twist: it happened to a native RoboHelp 7 topic. The writer created DHTML drop-down text that included a two-column table and two screen captures. I downloaded a copy of the project from Visual SourceSafe and replicated it on my PC, then I recreated the DHTML content from scratch. This time, the DHTML worked and problem was not there. It made me wonder if RoboHelp sometimes leaves artifacts that it can't properly manage.

One other note... Donal, we also observed that topics seem to preview correctly, even though RoboHelp has blown away the content. I discovered that RoboHelp creates the preview from the saved topic file, so it does not show up as blank in the preview until you save the file. It's a little deceiving.

Peter, I appreciate your help with this problem... there are a few writers here whose faith has been shaken.

Best Regards,
Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg

Thanks for the new information, happening in RH new topics but topics can be previewed.

If you can force the error with steps, that really would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2008 Jan 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I hate to say this but I am delighted to hear you guys are experiencing the same problem! And thanks for that info re the source of the preview.

I also saw the problem in a native RH7 topic when I tried to recreate one of the problem topics from scratch; however this was in a converted project so I wonder if you have hit on something here?

Was the topic your writer saw an issue with in a converted project and was your recreation in a new RH7 project?

Thanks,
Donal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donal,

Regarding your question:
"Was the topic your writer saw an issue with in a converted project and was your recreation in a new RH7 project?"

I believe this project was created from scratch in RH7, but it contains several topics that were imported from X5 projects. After interviewing the writer, the topic in question was originally converted from X5, but the problem occurred after adding the DHTML drop-down. The only other thing the writer did during that session was create a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi We are experiancing the same issue, used version 6 and imported to 7 and now every page with a DHTML drop down comes up blank, pasting the raw code from IE/notepad the code dissapears when switching views from HTML to design. Is there a fix for this? Please respond asap.

After researching it appears the DHTML menus in version 6 contains the "kadov", when upgrading from 6 to 7 the upgrade will convert or remove the kadov tag and replace it with clean HTML, any new installs the option or built in conversion function will not convert. This is a huge problem for Adobe and myself.

I did notice some pages did open and view correctly using the drop downs (simple) like someone was saying it only affects dropdowns with tables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem. I lost about 10 pages out of 300. The thing they seem to have in common (for me, at least) is that every page lost contained a DHTML drop-down AND within that drop-down was an image (.jpg or .bmp) or a table. Pages with drop-downs that did not contain these translated fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, one more thing...

The images were IN a table within the DHTML drop-down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. It is being investigated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp