6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2008 3:40 PM by Newsgroup_User

clearing an object style

DirtyFlasher
      This baffles me that I have to go to a discussion forum to find this answer - not in the help, and not obviously displayed within the style palette.

I've drawn an object. I wanted to play around with styles. Now I don't like the one I have, so I want to go all the way back to my original drawn object. How do I simply remove any and all styles that were applied to it?
        • 1. Re: clearing an object style
          Level 7
          Ctrl+Z or the History Panel.

MacYOmedia wrote:
          > This baffles me that I have to go to a discussion forum to find this answer -
          > not in the help, and not obviously displayed within the style palette.
          >
          > I've drawn an object. I wanted to play around with styles. Now I don't like
          > the one I have, so I want to go all the way back to my original drawn object.
          > How do I simply remove any and all styles that were applied to it?
          >
          • 2. Re: clearing an object style
            senocular Level 1
            Styles are just a collection of live filters on your selection. If you ever want to remove the style, you can just turn off or delete filters in the filters list located in the property inspector when your object is selected.

Since you can save your own styles, you could even, if you wanted, save a style that consisted of no filters letting you easily remove any filters on an existing object without having to remove them one by one.

Another option is to draw a new shape, copy it, select your original object, and then use Edit > Paste attributes to paste its "style" to the original.

Also, if you've just added the style, you can always use undo to go back to your original look and feel.
            • 3. Re: clearing an object style
              Level 7
              or if you haven't saved yet then 'revert' under the file menu

senocular wrote:

> Styles are just a collection of live filters on your selection. If
              you ever
              > want to remove the style, you can just turn off or delete filters in the
              > filters list located in the property inspector when your object is selected.
              >
              > Since you can save your own styles, you could even, if you wanted, save a
              > style that consisted of no filters letting you easily remove any filters on an
              > existing object without having to remove them one by one.
              >
              > Another option is to draw a new shape, copy it, select your original object,
              > and then use Edit > Paste attributes to paste its "style" to the original.
              >
              > Also, if you've just added the style, you can always use undo to go back to
              > your original look and feel.
              >
              • 4. Re: clearing an object style
                Level 7
                or just forget the whole thing, shut FW down and go have a beer.

:)

dave prescott wrote:
                > or if you haven't saved yet then 'revert' under the file menu
                >
                > senocular wrote:
                >
                > > Styles are just a collection of live filters on your selection. If
                > you ever
                >> want to remove the style, you can just turn off or delete filters in
                >> the filters list located in the property inspector when your object is
                >> selected.
                >>
                >> Since you can save your own styles, you could even, if you wanted,
                >> save a style that consisted of no filters letting you easily remove
                >> any filters on an existing object without having to remove them one by
                >> one.
                >>
                >> Another option is to draw a new shape, copy it, select your original
                >> object, and then use Edit > Paste attributes to paste its "style" to
                >> the original.
                >>
                >> Also, if you've just added the style, you can always use undo to go
                >> back to your original look and feel.
                >>
                • 5. Re: clearing an object style
                  Level 7
                  After the beer, replicate for or five instances of the original object.

Flick through the Styles panel applying styles and shortlisting the ones
                  you want (you may need to create more copies of the original object).

Once you have a shortlist of best choices rename the layer "My styles"
                  or something similar.

When you want to use a style from the shortlist of candidates just copy
                  and paste attributes (does that work in FW?)

The "My styles" layer can be switched on or off as required as one works
                  through a design in a creative sense.
                  • 6. Re: clearing an object style
                    Level 7
                    MacYOmedia wrote:
                    > This baffles me that I have to go to a discussion forum to find this answer -
                    > not in the help, and not obviously displayed within the style palette.
                    >
                    > I've drawn an object. I wanted to play around with styles. Now I don't like
                    > the one I have, so I want to go all the way back to my original drawn object.
                    > How do I simply remove any and all styles that were applied to it?

Drag out a rectangle with no fill or stroke. With the rectangle path
                    selected, click on the menu expander icon at the top right of the styles
                    panel and choose New Style from the menu. Use all the default settings
                    and give it a name like Non Style. Click on OK to accept the new style
                    and close the dialog box. Whenever you want to remove a style from an
                    object, apply your non style.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------