• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 Crashing

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced a problem in the last 2 days and don't see a topic on this particular issue.

I am using RH7 in the Technical Suite Communications. I have created an RH7 project and worked on it primarily while in the clients office. Last night while flying I was working on the project and it crashed twice. So I just started saving more frequently. Today, I was in the client's office and had no issues. Now I'm back in the hotel and it crashed after about an hour's worth of work.

The project I'm working on is on my local laptop, always has been. So I'm confused, it's obviously not an internet connection as I had none on the airplane, in the office I have worked on it both hard wired to internet and wireless, and in the hotel wireless internet on.

This laptop has both RH5 and RH7 on it, but I am using only RH7.

On the plane, only RH7 was open. In the office, I had outlook, rh7, several ie browsers, and snagit. In the hotel, I have 2 browsers and rh7 open.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting, I'm all ears, because I cannot find a common thread except that I was out of the office and off network when the crash occurs. But since the project is local to the laptop beiong on the network shouldn't have any impact that i can see.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 15, 2008 Jan 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it a battery-related issue? Does the laptop want to sleep? It shouldn't crash an app, but . . .

Also, have a look at this thread, which implicates an older PhotoShop release.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=447&threadid=1147096&h...

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have PhotoShop and as far as I know this is a brand new out of the box laptop. I've crashed with 90% battery life. The part about the install might be a factor (I was logged in, then prompted for IT admin login to do the actual install); although I have no issue with crashing while in the office.

But now that you mention it, the only common factor, other than using RH7, was I was not plugged in. I wonder if being on battery is the issue. I'll test this theory when I get back to the hotel tonight. Thanks for the thread, it was interesting and has given me a couple different options to start troubleshooting with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's (RH7) is crashing quite a bit for me, too. I thought the application was just generally buggy and crappy because it's the only application behaving so poorly and others here have complained of the same thing and generally take it in stride as a fact of using the app.

RH7 will crash, oh, about once every one or two hours. I don't have Photoshop of any flavor installed (alas). I'm not familiar enough with Windows to troubleshoot it so I guess I'll just live with it and use RH as little as possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moonlion

You don't give us anything to go on. Is your project local? Does this happen with the sample projects?

Have you tried any of the methods suggested for troublesome projects? See Opening Projects on my site for a start.

Had a post from someone some months back complaining about RH but when I got a copy of their project, I found all sorts of things wrong and once they were fixed, it worked fine here. Yet they still insisted it was troublesome on all their machines and how they were going to have to rebuild all of them...

If the problem was common and was RH, nobody could work with it. I am using it day in and day out and without any crashes. There will be a solution but information is needed to fix it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter GraingeYou don't give us anything to go on. Is your project local? Does this happen with the sample projects?
Yes and I don't know. 🙂 When it crashes it always occurs when I'm moving one folder into or out of another. If figured that re-organizing things was at the limit of RH's abilities and sometimes it broke as a result. Since I don't have to move that many more folders yet in the project I just let the whole issue go, believing that since I won't be doing the thing RH doesn't like any more (to speak of) the problem wouldn't be encountered again.

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter GraingeHave you tried any of the methods suggested for troublesome projects? See Opening Projects on my site for a start.
No, I haven't, I just assumed it was normal for the app.

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter GraingeI found all sorts of things wrong and once they were fixed, it worked fine here.
That could very well be. This is a project with tons and tons of topics and (non-multi-selectable) folders (still bitter about that) that were created in an unknown-to-me version of RH. The chances of it not being set up correctly or of a corrupt file somewhere are probably high for all I know. The topic on your site offers much in the way of good advice as to what to do. (Though, as a quick aside, it references Access a few times I noticed during my brief skim, I assume I don't need access to Access to carry out the fixes, correct?)

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter GraingeIf the problem was common and was RH, nobody could work with it.
Hee! I would post a snark about Windows apps in general but that's not the topic of the forum... ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I leave RH 7 running all day long, sometimes with a project open while I'm busy elsewhere. I work on the project for awhile, move to a different task for a few minutes or hours, and come back to RH. It's always waiting for me where I left off.

MeWrite, you should review all the options selected for when and how the machine behaves on battery -- time limits for screen dim, screen sleep, disk sleep, anything else.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker
I leave RH 7 running all day long, sometimes with a project open while I'm busy elsewhere. I work on the project for awhile, move to a different task for a few minutes or hours, and come back to RH. It's always waiting for me where I left off.

MeWrite, you should review all the options selected for when and how the machine behaves on battery -- time limits for screen dim, screen sleep, disk sleep, anything else.

Harvey

Harvey, I have already started an excel spreadsheet to figure out what the commonality might be. Apparently, unbeknownst (sp?) to me, 2 other colleagues of mine are also experiencing hangups or crashing. After the second crash, I started to look for a common theme, however, my 2 colleagues, were taking the same approach as Moonlion2 and just figured it was the program and putting up with it and not paying attention as to what was going on nor what the enviornment was when the crashes occurred. Since I've been a long time user of RH I knew better and am looking to see what the possible issues are that would be the cause of the crash. So far, unplugged is the only common thread, although based on the article link you sent earlier, I'm not ruling out the install issue just yet.

Ah, ha...got it to occur again less than 30 minutes this time. I am on battery, wireless on, 3 ie windows open, off network, not in office. I got screen shots of the 3 error messages. Does anyone know how I can attach a screen shot to show the error messages? The last 2 seem to refer specifically to RH.

Before I posted I plugged the laptop in. Been working in RH for about another 30 minutes. Was about to say No crash, no error messages, but no sooner did I type that statement and flip back to RH when it came crashing down. The error messages are long so I'd like to attach the screen shots. And now I know how to duplicate the error, so if someone needs more info or I can't attach screen shots, let me know and I can type in the error codes.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need Access so give the things a try on a copy of your project.

And remember that in civilised countries there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty! At least that was the case.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2008 Jan 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moonlion2

If you want me to look at your project, take a copy, remove the !SSL! folder and zip it up. Email me to advise the size but don't send yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MeWrite

You cannot post images but you can email them. Wait for Harvey to say he is OK with that. You can email them to me via my site.

I'm not convinced by the network argument as I have run RH7 without a connection and without problems. Have you tried the deletion of the CPD and XPJ files? See my site before you do, Opening Projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Just popping in to say that one might consider something like PhotoBucket for popping images on a site for others to look at. Seems to be free to use.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -- I will look at deleting those files, but I'm not sure that is the issue, only because the crashing is occuring on all projects, not any one in particular. 1 project was started in the trail version of rh7 converted back to rh5 then upgraded back to rh7 after technical communications. I thought this had something to do with it. But alas, in 2 new projects started from RH7 never converted, only copied via windows explorer to a new place, I'm having the same issue.

As for my other 2 colleagues, they never had RH5 so I know that's not the issue at all.

I don't suppose having both RH5 and RH7 on my laptop would have anything to do with it, would it?

Oh, and just so we're on the same page, I don't think having a network connection has anything to do with it, I'm just describing the environment when the crashes occur, albiet, I find it a bit odd I can have the project open 8+ hours while docked and have no crashing problem.

I have a meeting later today, in office. I'm going to undock and go wireless and see if the problem occurs during the meeting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No point in trashing the files if it is all projects.

X5 and RH7 is OK as long as you have full licences for both. If you purchased an upgrade, you will have problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2008 Jan 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moonlion2

Are you running RH on a pure Windows machine or a MAC that runs Windows apps? Just wondering if that could be a factor. Can anyone else comment on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey, thanks for taking a look at the screen shots. I thought they looked more like adobe errors not microsoft. The theory that is was battery related has bit the dust. A 3rd colleague of mine had a crash last night and was not on battery. She only just started working on RH7, and last night, while docked, in office, on network, it crashed with the same error I received.

I didn't realize until I sent the screen shots that the last screen shot has a scroll bar. How do I send this error to adobe?

BTW - I'm now leaning more toward the install theory. We all were logged in as us without admin rights. Then IT started install, logged in (when prompted) as them with admin rights and finished the install. I believe this has been a problem in the past, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told on good authority that EDIT *RH7* can now be installed by an IT person with admin rights. The way you phrase it sounds like you started the install and then IT came along and logged in part way through. How was that done?

Using two people could you please try this. On both, uninstall RH. On one reinstall it getting IT to log on and install it, they will have admin rights. On the other, get IT to give the user admin rights and let the user install it. Does this make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - I replied to this topic this morning, but for some reason I noticed it didn't post. Third post today that didn't take. Weird.

Anyway, just to clarify:

I logged in as me. Started the install from web site download. At one point it prompts for admin creditials and you can select yourself (which will prompt back that you don't have admin rights) or select another box where you enter the username and password of the it person who has admin rights. Seems like this is standard practice here.

Sooo, I have put in a request to uninstall this version, used the cd to install and either (a) give me rights - which prob won't happen or (b) have IT log in from the start then do the install.

I don't get much about the security thing, but that is what I see. I guess when it prompts for admin rights to log in, I would equate it to "remoting in".

Hope that helps. Will let you know the outcome of the reinstall and the process IT takes.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't ever seen it prompt for admin rights. Does it look like that is a screen that might be skipped if it detects you have the necessary rights? If so, that would explain why I haven't seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - no. I think it's they way they have setup secuirty here. I have seen this before, but it was a while ago in a different company. Since I don't do server security, domain control, or active directory, the best I can say is that it is something to do with that area and only because I've seen this in another big company. I don't think smaller non-global companies lock security down this tight. It'll prompt for this login no matter what, but I will see for sure when IT comes down to reinstall from cd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we uninstalled RH7 from my laptop and reinstalled via the cd; however, I'm still crashing.

I crashed on Monday when on battery with levels at 48-44%. I plugged in and work for less than an hour with no incident.

I wish I could say that it's a battery issue, but I just crashed again and I'm at the client site docked and hardwired to power and internet.

Yesterday, I had RH7 open and working most of the day. No issues whatsoever.

I've never had this crashing problem before. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or a place to start troubleshooting because I'm not understanding the cause here or even where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laptops can have separate "sleep" settings for battery and power modes.

Have you have tried making all the sleep settings "never"?

Are these Intel based PCs, and not Mac computers?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC. Not sure how the sleep function would effect the crashing as I'm working in the program and never leave the computer untouched long enough to set off the sleep function. However, I have just set both plugged in (30 minutes) and battery (15 minutes) to NEVER, so we will see if this has anything to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have been using various versions with a laptop and it has hibernated, gone into standby and all sorts. Never once any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp