Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH6 and RH7 separate installations?

Jan 23, 2008 Jan 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run training courses for RH5 and RH6, which are visually very similar.
I understand that RH7 uses tabs so that you can have multiple topics open at once (hurray! ForeHelp had this 10 years ago). This would be visually different from RH6.
I need the ability to train to what my clients are using at present, so I want to be able to start either RH6 or RH7 as required. So can I install both on one Laptop PC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want RoboHelp for Word to work properly, No. Otherwise it seems to work OK. Note though that it is possible you may be the first to encounter a wrinkle!

Also you need full licences for both versions, not upgrades.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use RH for Word, although I do build outputs to Word; would that still work?

Pity about the licences; that's an expensive solution. Can't I install RH6 a second time to a different folder, and then upgrade it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outputs to Word have still worked OK.

If you use your RH6 licence to upgrade, you can no longer use RH6, on any PC.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going from RHX5 and RH6 to RH6 and RH7, couldn't you upgrade the X5 to 7 and keep the 6 unchanged? (Doesn't Adobe let you upgrade from the previous 2 versions of a product?) Just a thought.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the price of the 5 to 6 upgrade and the price of the 6 to 7 upgrade? Big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, my previous comment referred to your saying that you can't keep RH6 if you use that license to upgrade. I'm not sure what the price of upgrading 5 to 6 has to do with my comment, especially since I'm sure you can't upgrade to 6 anymore now that 7 is out. (Unless you meant 5 to 7, in which case I can see there is a big difference.) But it's a moot point if Adobe wouldn't let you have a full license of 6 on the same machine as 7 that was upgraded from X5.

But one possibility for Philip is to upgrade 6 to 7 and keep X5 if that's similar enough to 6 for his instruction--if that's allowed. Otherwise, the only option for using a single machine is to buy a full license of 7, which is even more expensive.

Or maybe I'm out on a limb, but at least the view is rosy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben

My point was that the upgrade price from 5 to 7 is significantly higher than the upgrade from 6 to 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Guys,

I only have RH version 6. (I upgraded from X5 many months ago). Pity about the licences; it means that I cannot train both v6 and v7. Are the visible differences that great, Peter?

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does "massive" grab you. More to the point, the methods of working are different. You can have many topics open, drag content up the page and over the tab of another topic, that will then display and you can drop the content where you want it. That's just one simple thing.

I suggest you take a look at the RH7 pages on my site and also follow the link to John Daigle'e reviewers guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I install the Trial V7, will this damage my V6 installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just looked at your web site Peter, at the RH7 pages. It's Totally Different in appearance; looks a bit like Flare! This makes a serious problem for all RoboHelp Trainers. We train people who are existing users of RH5/RH6, which look fairly similar to each other, and I can cover the necessary essentials of CHM and WebHelp that apply to both. But RH7 - this is a big stumbling block.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Speaking as another Adobe Certified RoboHelp Instructor, I can attest that while the RoboHelp 7 interface is dramatically different and some new features exist, much of it does have a familiar look and feel. But you have to get past that initial jolt of a change. My point being that it may not be as big of a stumbling block as it may appear at first blush.

I also have versions X5, 6 and 7 peacefully coexisting on my own PC.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't damage 6. Not sure about when you uninstall if you don't proceed but at worst it would be a reinstall of RH6.

I don't think you have any option but to buy RH7 to continue training.

Your problem is you will still be asked to train on earlier versions. Perhaps you could consider keeping X5 and not RH6. To my mind, nobody should keep RH6 when the upgrade to RH7 is so cheap. Therefore the demand for training for RH6 should be minimal and you could do it by switching between X5 and RH7.

If you want to talk about this on the phone, email me direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I don''t have X5 any more.
2. Nobody that I have talked to is using V7 yet; mostly V6 and a few still on X5. It's not the cost of upgrading, it's getting new authors at a company to upgrade and then persuade other authors along with the switch.
3. How easy was it to become competent in V7, Peter? Was it an easy transition, or was it a bit of a slog?
4. Are V7 projects backwards-compatible with V6? Can a V7 project be opened and edited by a V6 user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Rick, I nearly forgot to thank you for your reply. You say you have all 3 version co-existing on one PC; did you have to buy full licences for all three versions? Or did Adobe do you a deal? After all, training users gets them more $ales.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip

I have full ver$ion$

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a company takes on new authors, it is going to have to put them RH7. What they do with their existing authors is another matter. Like I said, if that company has RH6, it shouldn't be difficult to persuade them to upgrade. Then you have a nice ready made training class!

The forums and other feedback suggest the take up rate for RH7 is very good.

My learning curve was over the beta and of course knowledge was being pooled. Not difficult but you either have to sit down and figure it out or get someone to show you first time out.

The code changes a lot in RH7 so there's no way back this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V€R¥ €XP€N$IV€ !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and say the learning curve from v6 to v7 looks scarier than it is. I downloaded the trial of v7 and got comfortable with it before upgrading. I even recently taught a small impromtu class of people new to RoboHelp to use v7 and one or two of them had v5 loaded on their laptops. Not saying it's the best scenario but it worked ok. Go for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear on one issue: if I install the Trial V7, can I continue to use my existing V6 on current projects: (a) while I try V7 and (b) if I decide not to buy V7 and want to uninstall it?
Has anyone got a definite Yes or No, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I was clear.

You can have both 6 and trial 7 on the same PC.

You can open and work on a 6 project using 6 while both are installed.

You can open and work on a 7 project using 7 while both are installed.

You will get a warning if you double click a 6 XPJ as it will then try to open the project in 7. If it is a 6 project and you do upgrade it, there is no going back.

What I don't know for sure is what happens when you uninstall the trial of 7. Like I said earlier, it should only be a case of reinstalling 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Just to repeat, as it's you, you're welcome to email and arrange a phone chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp