• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading from X3 to 7

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2008 Jan 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using X3 Office and thinking of upgrading to version 7 of RoboHelp. The main reason for the upgrade is the search function in the older version is not that great. Anybody that has upgraded from X3 to 7 sees any noticeable improvement?
My online help is very large and any search brings back just too much information. Part of this is also information overload (will have to do some cleaning as well). Any other advice or comments regarding upgrading to 7 are welcome as well. Besides upgrading to 7 what else should I consider?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi estanzer and welcome to our community

Actually, version 7 introduces a new feature related to searching. The ability to define synonyms that direct the user to specific topics. So, for example, perhaps you have the following topics:

Oranges
Lemons
Grapefruits

You could define a synonym so that if your user searched for Citrus, even if you failed to have the text on the page, the topics would be listed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and highlighting the searched word.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh yes. Forgot about that one!

And... unlike the famous "Brand X", you may easily choose the color used for highlighting!

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like its worth the upgrade cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another issue with X3 is when doing a search for part of a word the search will not return anything.

For instance if I have the words orange.apple and do a search on orange I will not receive anything. Would this work with 7?
I have many error messages that are very long and some times people just search for part of the error and don’t get anything back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change there. You might like to look on my site at the Searching topic and consider ZoomSearch.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks, for the help. Looking forward the upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a few reports of problems upgrading from X3 to RH6. Have a look at the following post:

Upgrading an X3 project to Rh6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Amebr,

Thanks for the good read. Lots of good info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp