• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions no longer works after upgrade to Windows 10

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft tech says it's an Adobe problem. Is a compatible version in the works? Is there a workaround. I tried uninstall/reinstall but the installer throws an error. The program installed anyway but still doesn't function. I've tried version 3 and version 4. I have the same problem on a machine upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and on one updated from 7 to 10.

Is there any hope I'll be able to get back into my ebooks? Does anyone know of an alternate program?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as Adobe is concerned, we can only quote Hamlet: "The rest is silence". It is time to sell my Adobe stock, and hopefully, others will too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After venting some steam, I went into problem solving mode. Here is a workaround, at least until Adobe gets its act together:

1. Download the .acsm file into a directory you can access.

2. Go to the Program Files (86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 4.0\ directory.

3. SHIFT-Right click on DigitalEditions.exe.

4. At the very bottom of the window that opens, you find 'Properties', click on it.

5. Select the tab 'Compatibility.

6. Set compatibility mode to Windows Vista. Apply and close.

7. Open ADE.

8. Go File > Add to Library, and set the file type to .acsm.

9. Find the file, you previously saved. Voilà, you are done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that would work for me but I'm trying to borrow books through Library2Go (OverDrive). I don't have an option to download the .acsm file.

Even OverDrive figured Adobe would have an upgrade ready. Their site directed me here. I tried Microsoft for help too.Seems they agree with OverDrive that this is an Adobe problem and Adobe should be on it. It's not like the release of Windows 10 was a surprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your editorial comments. But the solution still works. My public library also uses OverDrive.

To download an eBook you click on the corresponding icon in your Bookshelf. In the window that pops up, you check 'Save File' and click 'OK'. The .acsm file should now appear in your Local Disk\Users\<jeanne>\Downloads directory. I found it easiest, to move it to Desktop to import it into ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information. I wasn't able to find the .acsm file until I uninstalled ADE. It might be the browser I use but I wasn't getting a Save File option. I found a way to get around that by not having any application associated with the file type. Now I've captured it and I'll try again to get it into ADE.

Sure would be nice to hear from Adobe on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so disappointed. Changing the properties didn't work for me. I get an error that the license can't be found. I've spent hours on this now.

Sure would be nice to hear from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I had the same problem followed you advice and got nowhere then noticed the "Run This Program As An Administrator" tick box and all worked OK.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following problem ocurred when trying to download a book from the public library. 

Error getting License License Server Communication Problem

E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_OPEN_ERROR

Problem ocurred with ADE 2.0 after upgrade to Windows 10.

Installed ADE 4.3 Problem coninues.

After closing error message, ADE closes due to problems.

I tried the switch to Vista Compatibility.  At first it did not work.  But ADE came back with a request to check Compatibility.  After ADE checked itself it said it was compatible.  It now works.  When I check the exe program it is still set to Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the mistake of trying to do a download directly into ADE.  This messed up the whole thing.  I had to go back and change the program compatibility.  this time I used windows 7.  It works again, but only if I download and save the ascm file and then use the ADE file menu to bring the ascm file in to ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines