• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is RH7 client compatible with X4 server ?

Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am evaluating RH7 (client version) to see whether we should upgrade from X5. So far, I am very happy with the new features especially being able to open more than one topic at a time.

We create a combination of WebHelp Pro and HTML Help projects. Currently, we publish our WebHelp Pro projects to the X3 server version on a Windows 2000 operating system. I find that, when I open a project that I generated with RH7, the bookmarked text does not open. Also, some topics appear with the message: Page cannot be found. I'm assuming that the problem is that we are publishing a RH7 project to an X3 server version on a Windows 2000 operating system

We have the X4 server version, but we haven't installed it because of the Windows 2000 operating system. If we upgrade to Windows 2003, can we use RH7 (client version) with the X4 server version? Or, do we need to purchase RoboHelp Server 7?

Thanks,
Liz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz. If you upgrade to RH7 (client) you must have the RH Server 7 to be able to publish your WebHelp Pro output. This is because of the unicode features added to RH7 (client) which previous version of RH Server will not be able to cope with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought the documentation on RH7 (client) said that users do not need to upgrade the server version to RH7. I must have misunderstood.
Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it did Liz I'd suggest it is wrong. Just like once you'd upgraded a RH6 project to RH7 you can not go back, because of the changes to the HTML code and the Unicode support, if you have RH7 only RH Server 7 can be used for WebHelp Pro output as only that version understands the underlying HTML and Unicode support. I did check this recently with Adobe before responding to a similar query from another user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Your explanation makes sense to me. Your reponses have been very helpful in understanding what we need to do for our upgrade to RH7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to clarify an assumption I made in this discussion.

While you need to upgrade to RH server 7 when you publish a WebHelp Pro project using RH7, you do not need to upgrade to a Windows 2003 operating system. RH Server 7 is compatible with a Windows 2000 operating system (according to Adobe's system requirements).

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2008 Jan 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you use a Windows 2000 server you need IIS version 5.0 but apart from that yes you are OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp