• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the "Open In" default from "Photoshop" to "Photoshop CC" in Bridge CC?

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click on a photo in Bridge CC to open it in Photoshop CC for processing, I get an error message.  "Windows cannot find 'C:\program files\adobe\adobePhotoshop CS4 (64 bit)\Photoshop.exe."  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I then tried File>Open in and discovered that "Photoshop" is the default instead of Adobe Photoshop CC as the default. I can't find anything in Edit>Preferences that enables me to correct the problem.  What can I do?

CS4 was uninstalled years ago when I upgraded to CS5.  CS5 has also been uninstalled.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling previous versions can foul up file associations, as you have noticed.  Here is a fix from a previous post that seems to work.

Hope this works for you. 

20. middle.aged.hack         Jun 21, 2013 2:23 PM  

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\op en\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

When I changed the CS6 to a CC, in other words, so the whole key reads:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Everything now works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but it didn't help. I am running Windows 7 pro. I have uninstalled CS5,reconfigured CC Bridge file associations, uninstalled CC PS 5, reinsalled it. In between I ran Norton's registry cleaner and CC cleaner, all to no avail. I still, after uninstalled CS5  and CCPS6, still have a folder for CS5 in my program files. I looked in CC PS and found configurations. There lies the little icon that should show up when I go to "open with".  Clicking on that I get this message  "

C\Program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC {64bit}\Configuration\PS_exman_24px.png The specified path does not exist " which seems to indicate that something is missing. I cannot get rid of CS5 folder and cannot get PS CC to show in the "open with" dialog. I cannot get it to show in default programs either.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used this solution, but many others have and said it works.  Your files do not seem to be the same as fix in post #1.  You have to start with the OS registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\op en\command. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curt. I checked and that is set correctly in that it reads C:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64bit) \Photoshop.exe" %1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops forgot a set of quote marks. They are there but still not showing in default programs, or in file associations. for jpg or jpeg. It did fix the .psd problem. I need someone to look in program files Adobe cc photoshop 64 bit and find the file configuration. In that folder appears to be an icon for PS.If I click on it it comes back as an invalid path. Path is missing. I have on idea if that is the problem or they all say that. I spent two hours on chat with adobe with them using remote access but the adobe connect used so much memory it kept crashing programs so nothing got done. Not sure I want to go that route again. I have 8G ram so it should't be a problem but background programs use memory too. No idea but the only thing they accomplished was resetting my wallpaper with an image so large it made getting anything open almost impossible. Fixed that but haven't fixed the problem. I can have everything open with bridge and from there to PS CC but I shouldn't have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may just be able to go into the Bridge preferences and reconfigure it...  This is from memory only:  In Bridge, choose Edit/Bridge - Preferences - File Associations, and scroll down to the file type you're trying to open (e.g., .PSD), and configure it to use the latest version of Photoshop.  I think there's something like a [Reset All Associations] button in there somewhere too.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of these and the only thing that worked for me was to change the reg values here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried the registry edit others have mentioned and this one finally made it work. I was having issues with Bridge CC 2017 trying to open photoshop related files with CS5 that I had uninstalled recently. After restarting Bridge, it now 'sees' Photoshop as being CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same problem. Please keep me informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pref.jpg

Re: Bridge > Prefs

When you click on one of the symbols marked in red what apps are you offered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, and this helped! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Associating Bridge .nef files to default open in Lightroom

We've done a clean upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and reinstalled Adobe CC subscription components. Following the "Edit Preferences" dialogue described previous,  we defaulted Lightroom CC open .nef (Nikon) files using Lightroom instead of Photoshop.  It does it but opens lightroom in the Import Photos/Videos dialogue, the image selected in BridgeCC is not the one displayed in Lightroom and you are immediately forced to exit Lightroom. Any clue is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines