• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does your WebHelp work well in Microsoft Edge?

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your WebHelp work well in Microsoft Edge?

On our RH10 WebHelp, TOC pane disappears after using Search function.

After this issue happens, we need to resize the window of Edge or reload the page to display TOC again.

This happens in MS Edge only.

IE11, Firefox and Chrome are OK.

I sent bug reports to Adobe, but there's no answer at the moment.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 is a day old and so is the MS Edge browser. I expected a post about this, but not today already 🙂

I'm not surprised the WebHelp doesn't work. I haven't updated to Windows 10 yet so I haven't given WebHelp from other versions a try. If WebHelp from RH2015 is also broken, Adobe will probably release a fix within a reasonable time. I don't expect Adobe to release a fix for RH10. But when there is a fix for RH2015, I can probably backport it to RH10 as well. You'll just have to hang on for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Willam.

Thank you very much for your reply.

We'll wait.

Still, I'd like to know whether other people have the same problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a chance yesterday to try out the beta version of Win10 with my WebHelp (created via RH10). It appeared to me that IE11 was still the default application for opening .htm files, but if I told it to switch to use "Project Spartan" (Edge's beta code name) as the default browser, I noticed some strange messages when the full help was launched. It would get "Message from webpage   Exception: reply for which no request exist" with and OK to continue. This would fire off 2 or 3 times (presumably as some JS was trying to run) and finally display some content. However, neither my ToC nor my Index would display. The Search did work though and returned topics. I need to work up some content using RH11 & my RH2015 beta to test both of those out.Edge_message.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your info.

I also came across the JavaScript exception alert. It appeared when I displayed a locally installed WebHelp.

In the IP network, it didn't appear.

I know that whstub.js file generate this alert.

However, I do not know whether Adobe will release a patch.

Regards,

Keita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread it seems that Edge worked in the released version of 10 but from Rh10 the TOC pane was empty. Adobe issued a private fix for that and advised the problem should not occur in Rh11 or 2015.

I doubt they will issue fixes for beta versions.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I'm using the released version of Windows 10 (build 10240).

I applied the first cumulative update a little while ago, but there's no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter – “I doubt they will issue fixes for beta versions.” – which beta? The RH2015 version I’ve got kicking around or the Win10 beta that we’ve got installed on a test machine? From what I understand, the Win10 beta program is going to continue to run and get release version updates just like the public builds – they’re not wrapping things up after the July 29 release to the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant was that I doubt Adobe will fix issues found with RoboHelp working on any beta version of Windows 10.

If the problem occurs with the final release of Windows 10, then I would report it to Adobe. However, the other thread found the help did open so I am hoping that this problem is unique to the beta version of Windows 10.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'd like to know further details but couldn't find the other thread about WebHelp with MS Edge.

Is it out of the RoboHelp forum?

Thanks.

Keita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter, is it possible to get more details about the private fix from Adobe to solve the problem with Edge. I couldn't find the thread you referred to.

Thanks, Sabine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sabine. I am doing some catching up, apologies for the delay. Do you still need the Rh10 fix?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I am not sure if this fix helps solving our problem. After implementing the changes suggested from Keita it is possible to open the WebHelp in Edge. Unfortunately the TOC desapearance is still not solved. Somtimes the TOC is there and sometimes not... At the moment we decided to recommend our customers to use IE of Firefox and hope that there will be an official fix for this problem. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The November 2015 Update of Windows 10 has come. Of course Edge has been upgraded. With the new version of Edge, Adobe's private fix seems not to work correctly.

I personally feel that the time to give up the RoboHelp 10 has come. We should not expect Adobe's courtesy any more.

I'm guessing the best bet will be to purchase RoboHelp 2015 Release, and wait for its next update.

The second best will be to declare that WebHelp can't be browsed with Edge, and recommend other browsers as Sabine did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to know in what respect it doesn't work properly from Rh10, then perhaps a 2015 user with Windows 10 can confirm whether the same problem occurs there.

Have you tried reversing the fix? Just an idea.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.

The problem occurred after the navigation pane was closed and re-opened.

The x (close) button in the navigation pane continued to blink. During blinking, it is difficult to be clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe released the 3rd patch for RH2015 but the patch does not resolve the issue that I wrote in #35.

Resolved in Adobe RoboHelp (2015 release) and subsequent patch releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I still need the fix for RH10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not forgotten. It is being worked on.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Keita I have emailed a fix direct to you. Check spam in case you haven't seen it. Email via my site if you cannot find it.

Anyone else, email me via my site with a link to this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the webhelp I was testing was installed on the local C:\ drive – in our situation, our help is installed on the client’s LAN server and accessed from the workstations, so it’s considered local as far as browser security is concerned. I’m going to try and find some time to install some test RH11- & RH2015- created WebHelp to see if I get the same messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, got a chance to generate some test cases of WebHelp generated with RH11.0.4.291 and RH2015 (12.0.1.326) and tried them out in our Win10 test build environment. I haven't been able to force one of my home machines to upgrade to Win10 yet, but that will be the next step in testing out the Edge browser before logging a bug.

My findings with RH11 & RH2015 are that you don't get the honking message that the RH10 help creates (good), and topics are displayed, but only the Search works. You don't get any Table of Contents or Index appearing (I don't have any Glossaries, so I didn't try them out).(bad)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I would like to thank you for sending special information.

As I mentioned before,I knew that whstub.js generates the JavaScript alert.

So, I downloaded the 30-day free trial version of RoboHelp 2015 from the Adobe site, and compared two whstub.js files. The difference is only one, the line 159.

In whstub.js of RH2015, the line 159 had been commented out by a double slash.

dif_whstub.js.png

We will be able to avoid the appearance of the JS alert by commenting out the line 159 (or changing whstub.js to new one.)

Do you think this is a good solution?

Thanks.

Keita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it out & report back – suppressing the message is good, but I still think you’ll run into the missing ToC & IX issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff.

Unfortunately, our engineers are not satisfied with this solution. Because there is a concern of the memory leak.

We may not adopt this solution.

The TOC disappearance issue is not solved yet, as you said.

FYI, our WebHelp has TOC and Search on the left pane, but does not have Index.

Keita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp