37 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 11:09 AM by Michaela_Painter

Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

This looks interesting.  In fact it looks _very_ interesting, and it only costs $50.  It was posted on PetaPixel just five minutes ago, and I don't know if there is a trial period, but for $50 I am going to risk it. 

Photoshop brushes – Corel ParticleShop

• 2. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

I've been reading all the info, and the $50 starter pack includes 11 brushes.  Additional packs cost $30 with each pack adding another 15 brushes.  What I am not sure about, is which of the brushes demoed in the video are included in the startup pack, and I can't find anywhere to ask.  One of the brush packs is call Fabric Fantasy, and the artwork shows what looks like the most impressive brush from the demo, so we probably don't get that for our initial $50.

There will be comments on PetaPixel, so I'll put up a question hoping Corel, or someone who had purchased it, can tell us some more.  I'm cooling a bit until I can get some answers.  $50 is good, but if it costs $80 to get the fabric brushes, that's close to what I paid for Alien Skin Eye Candy 7, which has more effects than you can shake a big bunch of sticks at.

• 3. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
            jbm007 Adobe Community Professional

There is no trial of the plug-in

I treid the Painter 2016 app and it crashed on start-up so I deleted.

I will stick with Alien Skin as well.

• 4. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

I looked at this again, and decided that you could get close just using the standard Photoshop brush engine.  I liked the Coral Fabric effect, so started with a sort of Curtain brush

The hard ends anchor the effect, but YMMV.  I'd look at making both ends about 60%, and the joining stroke 10%, so you'd have more leeway with brush opacity when using them.

This is the sort of thing you can get with it, but I have to admit it took some practice.  With Angle set to Pen Pressure for instance, I found it easier to control after setting the pressure to fully firm in Wacom Properties.  I also got some interesting effects combining brush presets with Lazy Nezumi distortion presets, and my plan now is to ask Guillaume if he can design distortion presets with specific brush presets in mind.  (The LNP Smoothing in the graphic is Lazy Nezumi of course)

I actually learnt a trick or two when experimenting with the brush presets, and have a better understanding of how they work now.  I was using a standard Intuos stylus, and the next one up that came with my Cintiq Companion 2.   Controlling Angle with Tilt was definitely a bit hit or miss, and I am tempted to get an Art Pen to have Rotation control.  I am also inclined to check out John Derry's Lynda.com Wacom and Art courses again, and try and get a better understanding of his brushes using Tool Presets.

So will I still pay $50 plus brush sets for ParticalPaint ?  I don't know.  I'll wait to hear what Guilaume has to say about it.

• 5. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yea, if you're doing a lot of painting, you need the art pen. I should get one, but....

• 6. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Chuck Uebele wrote:

Yea, if you're doing a lot of painting, you need the art pen. I should get one, but....

It's not like that huge clunky Air Brush pen — it just looks like a standard Grip or Pro pen.  For what they charge for some of their products, Wacom should include it as standard!  B&H sells the Grip pen for $64, Pro Pen (comes with Cintiq models) for $80, and the Art Pen for $90.  I seems pretty damn cheap to hold back with Cintiqs for the sake of ten bucks.  They don't come cheap after all.  Strangely, the Air Brush is actually $5 cheaper than the Art Pen, but who knows what's inside them?  (Hopefully Wacom do ).

I'd love to see someone do one of those break-down articles, and discover that the pens are all identical inside, but have some features disabled.  But I'll be looking for black helicopters next.

• 7. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

James Michaelsen wrote:

I will stick with Alien Skin as well.

I think I paid $99 for EC7, and find it amazing value for the number of effects it includes.  I know that Steve Caplin uses it, which is quite an accolade.  He says it does a great job and saves him lots of time, so why wouldn't he.  For some of the EC7 effects, like Animal Fur, I am not sure how I could produce them without EC7, but ParticalShop has some useful Hair and Fur effects for an additional $30 each!  They are pushing their luck with that pricing IMO.

I guess it is all relevant.  Partical Shop has a mist and smoke brush pack (for yet another $30).  I used to have an old version of AutoFX Mystical Lighting that I loved, but it only worked on 32bit systems.  To replace it now would cost $200, and I am not prepared to pay that much for something I can do myself, although it would take time and thought — but that's how we learn and get better.   Companies like AutoFX should follow Adobe's example.  I bet Adobe won millions of new CC subscribers with their Photography plan.  For every million new subscribers, that's $120,000,000 of revenue each year they would otherwise not have had.  They have made Photoshop so cheap I bet a huge number of people who previously used pirated copies now subscribe.  That's smart business sense.

BTW  I have noticed that when I created my curtain brush, I left the selection a wee bit loose (because I was concerned at not picking up such low opacity pixels) and it has resulted in part of the strokes being erased where they overlap.  You can see it in the green sine wave effect in post #4

• 8. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                      Cristen Adobe Community Professional

>  I used to have an old version of AutoFX Mystical Lighting that I loved, but it only worked on 32bit systems.  To replace it now would cost $200,>

I used to have that, too. On Windows. I never transferred it to the Mac, and as you say, it's pretty expensive. I loved being able to easily cast patterns of shadows, though, or create fairly convincing rays.

Have you taken a look at Escape Motions? I plan to wait a bit and see if Painter 2016 works better on the Mac than my older version, but I want to compare it to what Escape Motions offers—3 different apps. One for something almost like the Particle Brush called Flame Painter. One that seems to me to be like Apophysis, when I had that on Windows. And one called Rebelle, which is a painterly app.

On the surface of it, both PS's painting tools and Painter are being given a run for their money with these apps, but how the interface helps or hinders, and performance, will tell all.

• 9. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Cristen Gillespie wrote:

Have you taken a look at Escape Motions? I plan to wait a bit and see if Painter 2016 works better on the Mac than my older version, but I want to compare it to what Escape Motions offers—3 different apps. One for something almost like the Particle Brush called Flame Painter. One that seems to me to be like Apophysis, when I had that on Windows. And one called Rebelle, which is a painterly app.

I'd forgotten about that.  There was a cut down version of Flame Painter available a few years back, but it didn't do the swirling fabric effects I see on their website.  I am also not sure how much control the user has over the process.  The Amber Light plugin appears to be more of a fractal noise generator than a brush you can control and place predictable strokes where you want them.  I'm all for having more fractal noise generators, but that's not what I'm looking for, and certainly not something I'd pay a lot for. 

• 10. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                          CorkyO

Trevor,

For anyone still wondering what brushes actually come with the $50 investment, here are some screenshots of the brushes and strokes applied at their defaults with mouse and holding down 'shift' for straight line application. Note - I set color to white on a 50% gray background:

StarterPack.jpg

As you can see, you only get one brush of each category type in the Starter Pack. Each additional pack to complete each category is $29.99 which then puts you over $300 for the complete package.

ParticleShop.jpg

Not sure that this is a good deal by any stretch. Performance with CC 2015 is modest at best on a late 2013 27" iMac (highest end model purchased in retail store with 32 GB ram added later).

While I love Corel Painter's brush library and ability to apply to various materials in excellent fashion in the Painter program, I am seeing greed take over at Corel and a huge lack of customer care in recent years. Probably the last investment I will make with that company (and I did purchase the Painter 2016 upgrade).

Anyway, thought you might like to know what they give you for $50.

Best regards, CorkyO

• 11. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

> Anyway, thought you might like to know what they give you for $50.>

Not Trevor, but thanks for doing that for us. When I heard about the plugin, I thought it sounded like a good idea, a win/win for us in PS and Corel — until I looked at the site and couldn't find any way to create/save our own brush variants from the plugin. I saw the additional packs and choked on the price. I figured I could upgrade from v12 to 2016 for less if I really wanted those brushes.

I still think it's a great idea, and it may fill a real need for some who can be satisfied with an occasional, as needed, purchase of specialty packs of brushes. There are plenty of designers who could better afford the brush packs than the time to learn to use Corel's complex, easily overwhelming interface just for a job here and there where they want those brushes. But I agree that it's a high price to pay to those of us who have owned the full Painter.

• 12. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                              CorkyO Level 1

I still think it's a great idea, and it may fill a real need for some who can be satisfied with an occasional, as needed, purchase of specialty packs of brushes. There are plenty of designers who could better afford the brush packs than the time to learn to use Corel's complex, easily overwhelming interface just for a job here and there where they want those brushes.

Cristen,

That is pretty much in line with my thinking as well. The plug-in behaves pretty well - on par with the NIK plug-ins and the brushes have good performance. I still have to investigate whether or not I can create a pack in Painter 2016 > export > add to the ParticleShop plug-in. There aren't any menu items that suggest a straight forward import function, so I will have to see.

If I find more on that front, I will report back.

I do think it would have been better to just offer an option for the whole package with the 15 brush packs for something like $149 and include the ability for importing Painter 2015 / 2016 particle brushes.

• 13. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Hi Corky,

I think the price is about right for selling a plugin that most people won't have to think long and hard about buying. If you sell the complete bundle, you'll make people think harder about whether or not they really need it, or want it all.

I'm guessing the problem with making a plugin that imports particle brushes would be that people who own Painter could profit by selling their own presets. Corel wouldn't like that. Before, we've been able to exchange, or sell, brushes to each other since we all have had to own Painter. Although they made that whole process about as convoluted as they could, I swear.  ;-}

• 14. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Thanks for the examples CorkyO.  It helps to see what is available, so you can have a go at reverse engineering them. The spiky noise effect put me in mind of Hair brushes, so starting with a typical Hair brush set, and this preset

Adding lots of angle and some size jitter for the first example.  Throwing in opacity jitter for the second (in Presets > Transfer) and a high value size set to Fade for the third, I got these, and only using the standard brush engine. 

Our Noel Carboni's Star Filter Pro (now up to version 4)  would provide some excellent brush presets from which to start the process, and I'll have a play with that some time soon.  If there is a bottom line to this, it is probably that the random brush presets from ParticalShop are interesting, but are they actually useful?  Content is better served being driven by need and context, and then trying to build an effect to fit that requirement.  So at the moment I am still leaning away from buying this plugin.

• 15. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                    davidc1815 Level 4

Trevor - I was pleased to see you asked the question - "...are they actually useful?".  Of all the brushes that Corel's Painter could have contributed, these strike me as being at the gimmick end of their brush spectrum, and of little practical value (at least to those of us who try to use Photoshop to make realistic natural media effects).  Maybe the brush technologies are too different, or maybe they are aiming at something else, but I would love to have seen some of the Painter brushes like the Artist Oils category, and the wonderful Sargent's brush coming over the fence to Photoshop.  Heigh-Ho....

David

• 16. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

One last contribution to this thread, as it was a lot of fun working out the brush presets.  This  one also started with the hair preset, and bought in some colour dynamics.  The border was actually hand drawn, but I had to Free Transform to square it up.

• 17. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                        davidc1815 Level 4

It has something.  Looks like an aerial shot of triffids doing the conga.

David

• 18. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                          Herbert2001 Level 4

I don't know. Why not just download Krita, and a couple of brush packs instead? Krita's brush engine is great. And all for free. And you get a better overall painting experience as well.

https://krita.org/

https://krita.org/learn/resources/

http://www.pcazorla.com/2014/01/15/cazu-brush-collection-v2-for-krita/

• 19. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

herbert wegen wrote:

I don't know. Why not just download Krita, and a couple of brush packs instead? Krita's brush engine is great. And all for free. And you get a better overall painting experience as well.

https://krita.org/

https://krita.org/learn/resources/

http://www.pcazorla.com/2014/01/15/cazu-brush-collection-v2-for-krita/

Wow, that was new to me, and looks amazingly powerful for a free program.  It also had an interesting line in the FAQ about Huion tablets, and an angle to pursue when trying to help with the regular pen pressure issues users of cheaper Chinese tablets post here.

https://krita.org/about/faq/

As far as I can tell, it only comes as a stand alone program, and not as a Photoshop plugin.  Is that right?

• 20. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                              Herbert2001 Level 4

Yes, it is a stand-alone application. If you've never seen it before, you are in for a treat: it is an excellent digital paint application, and outperforms Photoshop for that task quite a bit.

For example, seamless painting and mirrored painting are built into Krita, as are many other super-handy tools for artistic work. It works in 16 and 32bpc, and even HDR painting is possible.

Krita's functionality is quite amazing (free or commercial), and it's been gaining a lot of popularity these last two years. The devs are incredibly supportive. If you never tried it before, do yourself a favour, and download it. It will surprise you.

Download sources for an open source comic painted in Krita here to learn more about the application and its possibilities:

http://www.peppercarrot.com/en/static6/sources

• 21. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Your modified brush is clever. You can do this with a very restricted brush engine—I can imagine you'd really go crazy with Painter's brush engine.  '-}

• 22. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                  CAMPINNGUY

I purchased the plug-in.  I've downloaded it twice and re-installed it over and over.  It would lock up Photoshop and I would lose all of my work.  I forwarded numerous items to Corel......and their final response is.....  They are blaming Adobe for the problem and suggest I contact them for a fix.   My reply.....  "Are you joking?  You sold this product as an Adobe Photoshop Plugin...that doesn't work.    Now,  your telling me that it's Adobe's fault and that I should pursue a solution to a Program that isn't theirs?  Am I understanding this correctly?  I will forward it to Adobe.  I'm assuming that you worked with Adobe on this issue...is that correct? "

There has been other cases that reported, that when Particleshop closed, the adobe product locks up like Fort Knox. From my other clients, they have advised, that there is an interaction issue between Corel Particleshop and Adobe programs, on the Adobe side.

When we release hold of the image, and your interface emerges, the program cannot extrapolate the brush strokes. We recommend contacting Adobe on the matter.

Sincerely,

• 23. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

CAMPINNGUY wrote:

I purchased the plug-in.  I've downloaded it twice and re-installed it over and over.  It would lock up Photoshop and I would lose all of my work.

[SNIP]

Sincerely,

Thanks for the feedback on this.  Can you tell us what Photoshop version, and what operating system you are using?  And if you noticed a pattern with the other people who are having issues with ParticleShop?   Did you try changing your GPU Acceleration settings?  I suspect this would be most relevant if you are using CC 2015.  Try turning off altogether, and if that fixes things, go into the Advanced tab and change the Drawing mode.   I know it is irritating having to compromise performance to get a third party plugin working, but it would be useful to know.

If you have committed dollars to the program then you could also try installing a previous version like CS6 (assuming you are using CC).  A lot of people take this route just to access the Oil Paint filter that stopped working with CC 2014.2

Thanks again for your feedback.

• 24. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

davidc1815 wrote:

It has something.  Looks like an aerial shot of triffids doing the conga.

David

Triffids.jpg

• 26. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                        TeraGrapher

I have had similar issues running ParticleShop from PhotoShop CC 2015 and had very little help from Corel. One service rep told me that it wouldn''t run with PS CC 2015, another asked for a file of diagnostics - which I sent but never heard back from.

I have been using Task Manager to abort PS, but yesterday I tried (again after reading the above comment about GPU) and found out that Partcleshop was still running. When I aborted that, PS was responsive again with the output from PartcleShop!!

Still a few issues as some of the brushes don't work, but some progress.

(Alienware M14x, i7, 16GB, Windows 10)

• 27. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                          Siswis

@ campinnguy

I have the same problem. That's why I advise against the purchase.

I installed it. I can start in Photoshop. I can paint in Particle shop. But if I want with the painted back in Photoshop, Photoshop freezes. Nothing works anymore. I need to close it with Task Manager. A response from Corel Support I have not yet received.

PS: Sorry for the English. I actually speak only German. I'm from Switzerland :-)

• 28. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                            Siswis Level 1

After three days no response from the Corel support. This is very bad.

• 29. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

We can at least thank you for the feedback to this forum.  We have to wonder if their customer support is overwhelmed with enquires, or they are hiding and hoping you will go away.  It's not a good look for them either way.  If you Google the plugin, this thread comes close to the top of the list for me, which means careful prospective customers are going to read about your experience, so more fool them.

• 30. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                TeraGrapher Level 1

I just thought I would see if there was a way of seeing if there was an upgrade yet and yes there was. Version 1.1 now does not show the same symptoms as before and all brushes seem to be working correctly and returns to Photoshop. I can now start to experiment and see if it is worth the extra expense of additional brushes.

The check for upgrade option can be found under the help button which is the ? at the bottom-left of the PartcleShop window.

• 31. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                  Siswis Level 1

Thanks. But that does not help me unfortunately. Is still not functioning. But the Corel Support has now reported. Maybe we can do it next week.

• 32. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                    Siswis Level 1

Corel has called me. There is a temporary solution. I wrote it and let Google translate. I hope this is understandable.

---------------------------------------------------

According to Support, the error occurs on some systems, incl. Windows 10. The improvised solution goes like this.

- Open Photoshop
                                                                    - Open image
                                                                    - Open ParticleShop about filter
                                                                    - Draw in ParticleShop

When you're done with painting, is the important thing:

- Close ParticleShop NOT
                                                                    - Open Task Manager
                                                                    - Click "Details"
                                                                    - Search all entries called "ParticleShop"
                                                                    - Let stand 1 entry. Clear all others.
                                                                    - Now you can in ParticleShop click to "save" button
                                                                    - And now you have the Painted from ParticleShop in Photoshop as it should be.

The support was not happy with this solution also. But recommend it until the problem is solved with a patch.

---------------------------------------------------

• 33. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                      lisab32102069

I purchased Particle  Shop and installed several times and uninstalled and reinstalled.   It does not show up into my Photoshop CS6.   I Have tried everything I know but no luck.  I contacted Corel and they said it was a Photoshop problem and not theirs.

• 34. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                        Siswis Level 1

The support seems to be different depending on the nation. For me it has indeed lasted 2-3 days until someone has reported. But they were very friendly and very helpful.

Do you have the solution that I have written above, tried? I once had to do. Since then, it runs correctly.

Again sorry for my english. That's Google Translation. I actually only speak German (Switzerland) :-)

• 35. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop

Siswis wrote:

The support seems to be different depending on the nation. For me it has indeed lasted 2-3 days until someone has reported. But they were very friendly and very helpful.

Do you have the solution that I have written above, tried? I once had to do. Since then, it runs correctly.

Again sorry for my english. That's Google Translation. I actually only speak German (Switzerland) :-)

Wow!  Excellent translation.  I would never have guessed if you hadn't mentioned it.     (Looking at that sentence, I'm thinking it could be construed as sarcasm, but I promise I was being serious)

• 36. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                            Siswis Level 1

My English is not good enough to assess the veracity of your words can

But at least I'm learning in this way new words.

• 37. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                              Michaela_Painter Level 1

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you've run into trouble! When you're in Photoshop, try selecting Window > Consolidate to tabs before opening ParticleShop. This should prevent the problem from occuring again. If you continue to experience it, send me a message with your contact information and we will look into it further.

Thanks,

Michaela (ParticleShop team)

1 person found this helpful
                                                                              • 38. Re: Corel ParticalShop — Brush plugin for Photoshop
                                                                                Michaela_Painter Level 1

Happy to see what you were able to get it running! Please let me know if you have any other issues.

If the problem occurs again, select Window > Consolidate to tabs in Photoshop, before opening ParticleShop.

Hope this helps,

Michaela (ParticleShop team)