• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Messages caused me to delete flash player, now can't reinstall?!

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting the error messages 1009 and 2026 (I think) out of nowhere (but it might have been related to system updates). I couldn't fix them so I decided to delete Flash player and reinstall but I can't find anywhere to download it from! I went to the official website and it tells me I don't have it installed but just sends me in circles. Plus I keep getting the footer/banner saying: This webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from 'Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Compon...' but when I click 'allow' it just keeps coming back!

Someone please help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Hi sarahw57420774,

I suspect you are on Windows 8.x.  If so, Microsoft embeds Flash Player for Internet Explorer and updates are released via Microsoft Windows Update.  Since Microsoft embeds Flash Player, they consider the associated files protected system files and lock the permissions so that they cannot be removed, and the Flash Player uninstaller does not remove them. Manually deleting these files will break the integration and I'm not aware of a way to re-install Flash Player short of re-in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Click on the following Adobe link. Go down to the bottom where it says, "Still having problems?". Click on the link foe your browser.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sarahw57420774,

I suspect you are on Windows 8.x.  If so, Microsoft embeds Flash Player for Internet Explorer and updates are released via Microsoft Windows Update.  Since Microsoft embeds Flash Player, they consider the associated files protected system files and lock the permissions so that they cannot be removed, and the Flash Player uninstaller does not remove them. Manually deleting these files will break the integration and I'm not aware of a way to re-install Flash Player short of re-installing the OS.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help. Decided the only way to fix it (without reinstalling my system, lol) was to bite the bullet and change to Google Chrome. This seems to have fixed the problem, as the error messages have gone and flash player is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8.1 iExplorer 11

I have had the same problem with (flash.ocx) flash player being altered, it was deleted by Norton's staff.

I think it was altered by a web site I visited when looking up an IP address, the web site said "ha ha you have been redirected"

I had not knowingly installed anything from a web site, other than Nortons 360.

It took me forever to go thru all the MS and Adobe help and try everything,

THE FIX:

I used Microsofts help to make a Windows 8.1 install disk on a flash drive,

then used it to reinstall (update my system) without loosing my set up.

WHAT DID NOT WORK:

I) The Adobe site sent me in a circle telling me my flash player was not installed but refusing to install it

and telling me to Turn off ActiveX Filter (which it already was) and ensure the Flash add in was enabled (it was not in the list off explorer addons anyway)

ii) Disabling iExplorer 11 and rebooting and re-enabling iExplorer 11, did not work either.

iii) Eventually by accident I found a away to download the Flash player install from Adobes web site, and downloaded it for Win8(.1) and 64bit, but when I ran it (as Admin) it said I don't have the required permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Flash ActionScript fix is listed as kb3089023

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3089023

If Windows Updates doesn't automatically offer you the update, you should (hopefully) be able to use "Method 2" to "Download the (appropriate) package now"... and be sure to run it after downloading.   I say "hopefully", because if you "brute-force tampered" with Windows/Flash, I can't make you any guarantees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My System was fully patched at the time I made the fix and rechecked daily (over 3 days) as I tried to fix this (fixed 19 Aug 2015 1pm Australian Time).

I had also early on tried uninstalling KB3079777 which I believed at the time was the most recent flash update and tried to reinstall that update but it said something like it was incompatible with my system (possibly because it was Win8.1, I hope the installer does not just check the windows version and give up).

I find it a bit frustrating because "many times" I have had trouble with flash being altered or replaced in earlier Windows operating systems and I have found that the Adobe install set would not repair it nor reinstall it after it has been damaged/removed.

It would be really nice if Adobes Flash Player Issues | Windows 8 help people install/repair Flash when the test for flash fails, also it would be nice if there is a link on that page to let you install flash on Win 8.1 with ie11. Also on that page there is a link "Update for Internet Flash Player for Windows 8.1 (64bit machine)" which did not work for me either.

The flash installer needs to be smart enough to deal with what ever problems there are with a failed/damaged set up, rather than just act like a blind fresh install. Especially so because hackers target/alter flash.

This is the link to Microsoft Support that I used to create a Win8.1 install disk (I was using Win8.1 at the time as I said above).

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PhilipKeAUS,

Regarding "The flash installer needs to be smart enough to deal with what ever problems there are with a failed/damaged set up, rather than just act like a blind fresh install. Especially so because hackers target/alter flash."  Since Microsoft embeds Flash Player in Internet Explorer on Windows 8 and above there is NO Flash installer for it.  All updates for Flash Player for Internet Explorer come from Microsoft via a Windows Update.  If your system indicates that an update is not applicable to your system and you feel it should be you would need to contact Microsoft for that, not Adobe.

The link for the Windows 8.1 64-bit installer on the Flash Player Issues | Windows 8 page downloads the Microsoft Windows Update for Flash Player for Internet Explorer.  It's not an installer released by Adobe.  Since Microsoft released the wrong type of Flash Player in their August release this Windows Update would have been the wrong Flash Player as well.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way the existing web page Flash Player Issues | Windows 8 is of no help when flash is damaged.

It would be very helpful if Adobe (or Microsoft or both) can make available a way of repairing/reinstalling flash.

It would be very helpful if Adobe do something on that web page towards helping the users (of your Flash player) solve the problem.

Currently the web page tests the flash player and says it is not installed,

but the update doesn't run either, I doubt if the update will ever help anyone if the flash player is not installed or is damaged.

So the web page is of no help as it stands in this situation, which I believe is a common problem as hackers alter flash,

mind you if as you say MS protects flash, I wonder how the hackers managed to hack mine when I was running Norton's

as well as Win 8.1.

While reinstalling the whole operating system to repair the problem does fix it (it would help if your web page at least says how to do that),

Reinstalling only works if you have a Windows install disk to do that with, most users do not have a windows install disk and they may not know/find that they can create one.  Reinstalling the whole OS is a risky and scary prospect to fix a small problem.

Perhaps reinstalling iExplorer 11 from a downloaded install set from MS is a better answer, though one of the ideas I got from MS support web site suggested I disable it, reboot and re-enable it but it did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi PhilipKeAUS,

Thanks for the feedback on the tech note. I'll forward this to the team for consideration.

What I meant by 'Microsoft protects Flash Player' is that they set the permissions on the files such that the files cannot be easily deleted unless someone uses a product such as Unlocker to modify permissions and delete the files.  I'll try to remember to word this differently in the future.

As for providing instructions on re-installing the OS, this is beyond the scope of Adobe help documents and Microsoft tech notes do exist for this.  If anything a link to the Microsoft articles would be added instead of providing instructions.

Thanks again for the feedback and we'll take it into consideration.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines