Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mms.cfg not fully working

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I have created an mms.cfg file and it works for most machines. I have an environment with 3300 machines and all but 400 seem to work.

I can see the mms.cfg file on the machines (deployed via GP), but Adobe Flash is still not updating.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot why this is choosing not to work on some machines? These machines are all running Windows 7 anywhere from Adobe Flash Version 10 through 18 (not the latest 18).

I've attached an example below.

This is the files under 'System32\Macromed\Flash':

SNAG-0000.png

Here is the mms.cfg file:

SNAG-0001.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Hi,

Yes, Background Updates rely on a Task (Adobe Flash Player Updater) and the Service (Adobe Flash Player Update Service) for the Background Updater to run and check for an update.  The Task checks to see if it's time to check for an update, if it's not, it goes back to sleep.  If it's time to check for an update, it invokes the Service to check for an update.  If either of these are missing then Background Updates won't work.

The Task and Service are installed when Flash Player is installed an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frank.mcgovern,

The file is in the wrong location.  On a 64-bit OS, the file is saved at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash, which is the 32-bit filesystem location on a 64-bit OS. On a 32-bit system the file would be save at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have taken the right location. Same issue still applies. I picked a bad example machine. Most of the machines are 32-bit. The mms.cfg file is in both locations on a 64-bit.

I have my GP set to place the mms.cfg for both 64bit and 32bit machines.

SNAG-0002.png

---------------------------

Here's another machine that is a 32bit OS with the mms.cfg in the 32bit location:

SNAG-0003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frank.mcgovern,

Please add the following line to the mms.cfg file:

SilentAutoUpdateVerboseLogging=1

Run the Background Update Service again.  Then upload the FlashInstall.log file using the instructions hereHow to post a screenshot in the forum

Post the URL to the uploaded files in your reply.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm if by "Run the Background Update Service again." you mean run the 'FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe' in that folder?

Also, those instructions you linked are for screenshots. Did you mean to attach how to upload a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frank.mcgovern,

Actually, I'd prefer if you ran the actual Service from the Control Panel, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools > Services > Adobe Flash Player Update Service > Run

Sorry about the wrong link.  Here's the correct one: How to share a document.  I have them next to each other in my bookmarks and grabbed the wrong one.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

I do not see an Adobe Flash Player Update Service. I checked other machines that are NOT WORKING and they also were missing the service.

I checked a machine that IS WORKING getting the updates properly and that service does exist.

Could this be our problem? How does that service get on the machine and/or remove itself?

SNAG-0005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, Background Updates rely on a Task (Adobe Flash Player Updater) and the Service (Adobe Flash Player Update Service) for the Background Updater to run and check for an update.  The Task checks to see if it's time to check for an update, if it's not, it goes back to sleep.  If it's time to check for an update, it invokes the Service to check for an update.  If either of these are missing then Background Updates won't work.

The Task and Service are installed when Flash Player is installed and the user selects either 'Allow Adobe to install Updates' or 'Notify me of updates' (Exe installer). The MSI installer always creates the Task and Serivce because it doesn't prompt the user to select an update option.  Note that, even though the MSI creates the Task and Service, it doesn't opt the user into Background Updates.  The user must do this afterwards, either via the Flash Player Settings Manager in the Control Panel, or via editing the mms.cfg file.

The Flash Player Settings Manager that contains a number of settings, one of which is the Updates option.  If a user has disabled updates via the Settings Manager then it will remove the Task and Service from the system.  To recreate them Updates need to be re-enabled via the same Flash Player Settings Manager.  Is it possible that someone has disabled updates via the Settings Manager on the impacted machines?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is possible as users have admin rights to Adobe Flash and they might have disabled it before we utilized the new GP/mms.cfg way of doing updates.

Can this be fixed by simply going in and changing the settings on Adobe Flash under Control Panel or do they need to install a new version/msi version?

EDIT: Nevermind, just reread your post and saw that just simply re-enabling that setting will fix the problem.

Thank you for all of the knowledge transfer! You have been incredibly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines