Copied

Hi,

I have placed a CHM file (generated using RoboHelp
X5) in the network folder. When opened from there, it is
throwing this error:

Cannot open the file : mk:@MSITStore: <path where file
is located with file name>.

This error is thrown only for one or two files and not
all the CHM files in that network folder. Why so?

What is the reason and how to resolve this? Please
help!

Thanks and regards,
Krishna
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2007 Dec 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the search link next to the Help link (not the one top right) and enter "mk:@MSITStore".

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2007 Dec 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or try this link.

http://www.robworley.com/index.php/2005/windows_blows

Message was edited by: Peter Grainge The original link posted here no longer works. I have replaced it with this alternative solution. 22 July 2009

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this answer applies, especially because no one is using Windows 98. QA testers who could open .chm files locally before are now getting this error: "Cannot open the file: mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program Files\V-Technologies\StarW\Help\starship.chm." Could there be another reason/solution?
Thanks for any ideas....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P Krishna:

The CHM will not open from a network drive. This is a security issue. There ia a work around it but it involves editing the registry of all your users (which could be a formidable task).

Girl from Ipanema:

If it will not open locally it could be due to the manner in which the CHM file got to the local drive. The latest Windows XP (and I assume Vista, too) will block any CHM that was simply copied to your hard drive. To resolve this, right click on the CHM in Windows Explorer, select Properties, and "Unblock."

Hope this helps,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,
When you say "simply copied to your hard drive", do you mean as opposed to installed as part of a program's components? I sometimes send out documentation updates to specific beta clients and they would just copy the newer file over the older one in their program directory. This could be a big problem for us.

Thanks for your response.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I mean. Did you find the Unblock option in the properties? Was this the reason it wasn't opening? I think it doesn't cause a problem if it is copied over an old version, just when it is a new item. I'm not sure of that - Windows does some odd things.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2008 Jun 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that even when the chm is created locally but under several folder levels, it will give the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have heard people solve this issue by copying the Hhctrl.ocx into the same directory as the CHM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp