• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate vs. Publish?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an absolute baby to Robohelp, so forgive me if this is an absolutely asinine question. What is the difference between "generating" and "publishing"? On my WebHelp layout, when I right-click, "Publish" is grayed out. I can generate the project to our server, and it works fine, and others can access it with no problem. I don't seem to have any other issues when testing it, nor do others. Can I continue to use "generate" in stead of "publish" when I'm finalizing my project, or will this cause problems later? The project is not going on the internet, just on our local server. Thanks! Oh, I am using RoboHelp 6.0.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008
That's the one Paula. That last screen can be used to publish to a specified location. In the Server section, click on the New button. This displays a dialog where you can setup the publication process. You can either use FTP, HTTP or a file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula and welcome to the RH community.
When you "generate" you are producing the output files that form your help. When you "publish" you copy these files to the location where they will be accessed. The idea between them is that you generate first to a test location and check to ensure the output looks OK before publishing to the live location. If you can not publish it is because there are no publish locations setup. If you go through the properties of your Webhelp single source layout (right click on it and select Properties) you will find the publishing step. Click "New" to create a publish location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula and welcome from me as well

In addition to Colum's fine words, you may benefit from viewing a file I have for new folks. You may download your very own copy by clicking here.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Captiv8r. Unfortunately, we have a LOT of restrictions on what we can access on our computers, and yours is one of the ones blocked! For some reason it comes up as a game.

Thanks for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Paula

Are you certain you clicked the button labeled "Next >" to progress through all the dialogs?

If you want the file, I can make it available via other means. Perhaps YouSendIt.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply.

I went through the Properties on WebHelp single source layout, and I do not see a
"Publishing" step at all. On the first page, there is a place to select output option and start page, which I have done. I went through all the other steps in Properties, but there is nothing on them regarding publishing. Is there something else I should look at?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula. It's the forth step of the wizard just after the options. It has a "New" button you can use to create your publish location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum and Captiv8r,

I definitely clicked through all the "Next" buttons to the end - I'm new at RoboHelp, but not computers as a whole!

The last screen says "Servers" and "Options", but no other topics, and there's no screen after that - "Next" is grayed out.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paula

Can you post a screen shot of that dialog?

Perhaps use http://www.postyourimage.com

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the one Paula. That last screen can be used to publish to a specified location. In the Server section, click on the New button. This displays a dialog where you can setup the publication process. You can either use FTP, HTTP or a file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh! I was wondering what that was for! I'll work with our IT guys to decided where we are going to put it. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp