Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show All Drop Down & Expanding text

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2007 Apr 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
My help project includes topics which have a number of expanding and drop down hotspots. I have used a method for Show All - Hide All for drop down text, found on this forum, but unable to find one for expanding hot spots. Can anyone point me to a method similar to one used in MS Word Help, which has a "Show All" link. On clicking this link all the expanding and drop down text is shown. Help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2007 Apr 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ShowHide methods on my site work with both dropdown and expanding text.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2007 Apr 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2008 Jan 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH6. I tried both the one button and two button methods on your site. I didn't do the print option. Both scripts and the graphic(s) were in place as described. However, when I generated the WebHelp, the buttons did nothing. The javascript for the buttons in the html was in place. The script between <head> and </head> was deleted. This happened in both the one button and two button approach. Do I have to add something to a baggage file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that the buttons I'm adding are in a topic that is attached to a frameset. The top frameset htm has ABC buttons. The content topic has the drop-downs I want to show and hide. I put the button and scripts in the content topic with the drop-downs not in the frameset htm with the ABC buttons. I don't know if frames messes this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zzz : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2008 Jan 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the zzz is meant to be a "hurry up, I am waiting", I am UK based and didn't stay up all night in case you posted!

Try getting the method to work in a non frameset topic first. It's quite possible it is the frameset messing it up.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... the zzz meant I'm going to bed! Sorry! No rush!

I tried the one button approach in a none-framed topic and RoboHelp v 6 the script in the <head> section out. For example, I put the script below right after <head> (which is above </head>). I check Preview and the single button works and the drop-down "shows" and "unshows". I compile, see the button is "dead" in the generated help. When I look at the True Code, the script I added (shown below) is gone. Very odd. Not critical for my project, but this is a very cool thing. Is there anything in RHv6 that strips code? Or IEv6? Very odd.

<head>

<script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript
x-save-method=compute-relative
src="showhide.js"></script>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, don't tell everyone we were in bed at the same time!

Take a look again at the instructions. I am sure you are missing some simple but important step. Is the javascript in the baggage? Is the path right. This method will work for a non framed topic and you need to get it working there first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it supposed to be a secret that roughly half of us are in bed at the same time at any given time? I think the idea is rather exhilarating. Think of all the editorial comments!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you have just spoiled my fantasy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baggage? Okay. The JavaScript isn't there. I'll re-read everything. I do read... hurridly. What was on my mind when I came to the forum was a query to ask if we could swap our President for your Queen... but this bed thing has gotten me all muddled up! Our President and your Queen just don't matter now except I wonder if they are in bed at the same time. The media said your Blair was in bed with our Bush. Hummm... baggage. Yes. Baggage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's all this talk about Bushy Queens in bed with Blair?

On a more serious note, if you are wondering about Baggage, see if this link helps any.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's bedtime for me again. Don't know about you.

Sorry, we're keeping our Queen. Blair is no longer Prime Minister so you can have him if you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Grange! While you slept in your comfy bed, I was having a code-venture.

I read of another Kate troubled with show/hide and print (in RH7):
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HATT/message/69897
This gave me courage to press on.

In RH6, I couldn’t add the .js file as a Baggage file. I believe this is because RH6 (and probably the other Kate's RH7) loves XML. I edited the rhbag.apj per Mr. Wizard's details at:
http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/NewProject.htm#MonthlyScry/022005.htm (Thank you, Rick.) If this is write-worthy, you could add it as a tip in your show-hide instructions for users of these later RH versions. Or, maybe you warn people of this annoying baggage issue and I haven't gone deeply enough.

Another potential oddity of RH6 (maybe RH7?) that might be write-worthy is that adding the script after <head> appeared to be deleted because it wasn't where I left it. Silly girl, smart RH6. RH6 moved the script after:
<!--(Scripts)==============================-->
but before
</head>
RH6 isn't smart enough to see the identical code so I deleted a bizillon of them. (Well, really, only my 9 or so failed shots.) So, the instructions might be after <!--(Scripts)======> but before <\head>.

On the issue of frames and show/hide, the frame doesn't make any difference. However, my htm file has 200+ drop-downs. (I know… way too large… I split it once already.) Interesting but not surprising, when Show All is clicked, the drop-down content displays with this dialog box slapped rudely over the top:

"A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"

I click Yes and the drop-down content is displayed but the button still says Show All. My computer is no speedy rabbit and I wait with baited breath for my screaming new Dell which is coming any day now. In the meantime, I'll bug some colleagues to test the speed of display on their machines to see how many pieces I have to hack my file into.

What is Tony doing now? Does his wife want to be Prime Minister? But I digress.

I’m heading for zzzzz-land now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the cat's out of the bag! How do you know my bed is comfy?

Haven't had any other reports of code being moved but from what I read, that isn't causing the script to fail. That sounds like the number of dropdowns is the issue. Yes if you abort the script the button will not change.

Cheri has as much chance as the Pope becoming Chief Rabbi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it was comfy because you spend so much time there. I work with RoboHelp but that doesn't mean I'm loco.

RH moving the script doesn't cause a failure. The author thinks it is a problem because the script is "missing" (but not). So, you put it back just to have fun watching it disappear when you save the file and, for a few hours, figure that's the problem.

A .js file is pretty common to add to Baggage, so having to edit the baggage file is an odd "feature". Most authors don't don't know what the baggage file is, that they have to edit the baggage file, how to edit a baggage file, or even want to mess with RH files gut files. Bring back Pluto and bring back the right click on Baggage and open the .js.

While I have the Adobe WW Expert on the forum, I read Adobe didn't include RH in it's annual report so there was panic it won't be supported. Urban legend or truth?

It's nice Cheri knows her gifts. We are watching reruns of Clinton's union. Reality TV. What is the attraction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now we are down to saying I'm a lazy old git who spends all his time in bed! Hmph!

The bit about RH in the annual reports was based on someone who had a bee in his bonnet. The point is in terms of Adobe's annual revenue for the year in question, the income was less than that which requires the product to be specified. RoboHelp is an important part of Adobe's Technical Communication Suite and I know a lot of work is going into the next version.

Ignore what you read about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grange, you're work is a testimony that you are far from a lazy old git! Because I only telecommute, I sometimes work from bed. It is comfy!

Suggest your users will save some head banging if you update:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/showhide/showhide_method1.htm (and, maybe method 2) to:

The Script
4. Paste the code after <!--(Scripts)======> but before <\head>.

And maybe change the following text later on the page. It appears to be the way RH6 (and probably beyond) works (not a bug).

Rh X5 (and later versions) may prevent the javascript file being added to the Baggage. Click here for details of the workaround. 10/05/04

I have RH5 and RH7 but haven't tested either. I can, if you like. I am at your service!

Glad to hear RH is here to stay. Madcap missed their little window of opportunity. It is clugy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter is fine. You might be able to spell that. :-)

I've added your comments to some other things I need to look. Thanks for pointing out what didn't work for you. It's important that people do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When can we look for the next episode of this soap opera?

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're moving to pay per view channel. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Besides, the writers' strike is still on, don't you know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp