• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In RoboHelp 2015, are there any changes regarding to the CHM files?

Contributor ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is any considerable change regarding CHM files.

The only option I use for output is Microsoft HTML Help for generating CHM files. I cannot use others (WebHelp and etc).

Well, I am using the trial version of RH 2015 but I didn't notice any significant change related to the CHM files.

The dynamic filter is not applied to it. I am currently using RoboHelp 9, so I am asking you about those changes because I am considering if it is worth changing to RH 2015, because I don't use HTML outputs, I only generate CHM files.

I am trying to compare both versions and I am trying notice their differences, but if you know some it would be helpful to me.

Sorry if I commit any mistakes because English is not my mother language. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Hi, Camila

Your English is quite good! Yes, Dynamic Content Filtering is only available with the more modern Responsive HTML5 outputs. The features available for the CHM output are mostly dictated by Microsoft because the HTML Help (.chm) format is their proprietary specification.

RoboHelp has added a few things on top of the basic CHM (skins for CHMs, Glossary and browse sequences, etc.) but you will not find many of the more modern features in chms because Microsoft stopped developing it a long

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Camila

Your English is quite good! Yes, Dynamic Content Filtering is only available with the more modern Responsive HTML5 outputs. The features available for the CHM output are mostly dictated by Microsoft because the HTML Help (.chm) format is their proprietary specification.

RoboHelp has added a few things on top of the basic CHM (skins for CHMs, Glossary and browse sequences, etc.) but you will not find many of the more modern features in chms because Microsoft stopped developing it a long time ago.

That said, while the CHM format may not have many of the bells and whistles you hope for, the new RoboHelp 2015 does have many other benefits that make authoring easier and justify an upgrade.

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John. I've got it.

One more question: is it possible to generate HTML5 for software documentation?

In the company I work for, we use CHM files because their content is compiled and it does not depend on internet for customers to open it. My doubt is if it would be possible to generate an HTML5 output (using the dynamic content filtering tool) and apply it to software applications. Do you know it? Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like John Daigle has nodded off again.

The answer is that HTML5 help can be used for software documention but there's always a "but".

The calls will need to be changed. I suggest a look at Willam's site at http://wvanweelden.eu for information on that.

Also if it is to be installed locally and the users will be using IE, they will get an Active X warning and will have to allow that. Unlike WebHelp, there is no Mark of the Web option in HTML5 outputs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're geniuses! Once again, you're right.

Thanks for your help, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp